Memory Recommendation for Asrock 970 extreme4

banks2878

Limp Gawd
I'm getting everything to start my new build I picked up the Asrock 970 extreme4 & AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition CPU.. my current PC has 8gb of Adata DDR3 1600 and I really want to upgrade that aswell I want to go with 2 4gb chips and later add another 2 chips to total 16gb but I want to upgrade the ram speed aswell to atleast 1800. any good recommendations??

also I would like some recommendations on a good aftermarket CPU cooler I am currenly using that Hyper 212 & Arctic Silver paste and they have served me very well, just wondering what else is out there that's also good as I'm leaving my current build intact and just starting another, I haven't really been around in awhile due to a severe brain injury so just looking for some pointers.. THANK YOU

Last edited:
memory from different manufacturers is so similar these days that only overclocking will reveal their relative quality. as long as you stay at advertised clock speeds, go ahead and buy the cheapest 2x4gb 1866mhz kit you can find. the cooler master hyper 212 is still a solid cooler. you could go with the big multi tower/multi fan air coolers, or the large radiator all-in-one water coolers, but either solution is overkill for a phenom 2 quad.

thanks so much for the reply heres what I have so far I think when I get a power supply i'll be ready to put it all together

CASE; Apevia X-Sniper 2 Metal Case
MOTHERBOARD; Asrock 970 Extreme4
CPU; AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad W/Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Cooler
MEMORY; G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 Model F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM
HARD DRIVES; OCZ 120SSD & 2TB WD Black
VIDEO CARD; EVGA GeForce GTX770 w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5

HOW DOES THIS LOOK? DOES IT SEEM THAT ALL WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER??

you should be able to push that x4 to 4ghz without much trouble. all you need is a good quality 500-600w power supply and you've got a stout little system that will easily accommodate an fx six core down the road.

the as rock board doesn't seem to have a very robust heatsink on the voltage regulators so i would put a fan on the side panel if you ever intend to drop in an fx eight core cpu. you also might want a 700-800w power supply for that 8 core, too.

Hey the case came with 1 front 120mm fan ive also bought a 200mm side windows fan aswell as 3 additional 120mm fans. as for the PSU I think im going to get a Corsair 1000 that's modular. my current PC has a Corsair 750 that's not modular and all these cables drive me crazy lol

Im a big supporter of modular psus too. Their quality now is outstanding but that hasn't been true in the past. Some people grimace at the prospect of powering the hardware you have with a kilowatt psu but I dont mind overbuying because you can stansition to a more power hungry build in the future.

Back