Memory question about Acer 5742 laptop

bardos

n00b
I am using an Aspire 5742 laptop which is "standarized" for ddr3 1066Mhz memory, (204 pin) however my laptop is running fine with ddr3 2x2gb of 1333Mhz memory. It runs at 1066Mhz, but with lower CAS latencies, which is nice. I am thinking of upgrading to ddr3 2x4gb 1600Mhz memory, but not sure if it will give the same result. Clocking speed of course will always be at 1066Mhz and with lower CAS latencies.

Would it work? Would 1600Mhz RAM be recognised?

Which specific variant is this of the 5752 series?

The -xxxx part of the model name would be very helpful to determine which actual chipset is being used. Depending on the chipset, a high (or low) probability of ram compatibility could be given.

It's the HM55 chipset

Acer aspire 5742-374g32mnkk

Last edited:
OP: the ram would most likely be recognized at the hardware level, but as the poster above me mentioned - it would be clocked down to the max speed the CPU/chipset supports. It was good you provided the specific chipset/CPU being used, because later chipsets/i-series will actually run @ 1600mhz ram. I know my 3612QM / HM77 laptop does.

However, I do not at all agree with the above poster's thoughts about the necessity of 4GB vs. 8GB. I don't believe you were asking for opinions on that particular nuance of your request, so that is technically out of scope for this thread unless you invite it.

Back