Memory problem

Djee

n00b
I just bought a Corsair TwinX 2gb kit C2. The memory timing are 2-3-3-6.
When it is set to AUTO (for DRAM timing) in the BIOS. The timings are 3-3-3-8
I have to set it manually if i want to have 2-3-3-6. Is it normal?????
And my second question is: By default the command rate is set too 2T ( mem bandwith is 2.15gb/s). When i run Memtest+ 1.60 everything is ok but when i set it to 1T (mem bandwith is 2.7gb/s) i receive some radom mem errors. Should i send the mem back as defect or what??? i dunno what to do. Maybe ive done something wrong? :confused:

BTW is are my computer specs: MSI K8N NEO4 Plat
3500+ Socket 939 venice core
2x1gb corsair XMS (2-3-3-6)
MSI 6800 128mb

C2 = 2.5-3-3-6 on amd rigs

also, try bumping up the ram voltage to 2.7v when you switch to 1T

the problem was the timing like you said. i changed it to 2.5-3-3-6 and now theres no more errors on memtest+ i also gained some mem bandwith its now 2.88gb/s

Thnx alot :)

I've actually been having problems with a similar setup (Neo4 Plat, 3500 Venice), except my RAM is crappier (PQI Turbo CAS 2.5). It runs in 2T timing in auto mode, so I switched it to 1T and it seemed to work for a while (like a couple of weeks without any serious problems, don't have memtest though). Everest's memory benches showed a pretty good performance jump even.

But, today after fiddling around with my 6800gt's clock speeds (nothing serious, only went up to 380/1060 with rivatuner to see what kind of performance jump I'd get, then put it back to default speed) my computer would do nothing when I tried to reboot (i.e. no signal at all to the monitor). I would reset or completely turn off the power a couple of times, and then it'd finally come back and load windows normally. Try to restart again, same problem, until eventually I was never able to get it to reboot. Obviously since I was messing with OCing my video card for the first time I was thinking something was screwed up in that department, but my mobo's diagnostic LEDs suggested something was wrong with the RAM.

Here's the weird part: I first pulled the stick in the second slot, restarted, still get nothing. Switch out the stick in the first slot with the one I'd already removed, and then I'm finally able to get into the BIOS and change the timing back to 2T/default. After this I'm able to load Windows again, and then finally I put the other stick of RAM into the second slot and it seems to be working fine (I'm typing from discussed PC right now).

So, is it possible that my RAM just can't handle 1T timing without some other BIOS tweaks, or is there another problem that I'm not seeing? Like I said it's run everything, including games like CS:S and BF2 fine on 1T for a while, the only problems I've had at all is this one weird glitch where my screen kind of zooms in on one corner of the display area sometimes when I used windows media player or power point (like it blows up one part of the screen, maybe 640x480 in resolution, to fill the entire screen. it's fixed instantly by hitting the windows+L buttons to switch users). Does any of this seem to make sense?

run memtest86 and superPI 32m.. do both run for a long time without errors? (>2-3 hours for memtest and >3 loops for superPI)

Back