Memory Problem

polydiol

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys

I'm having a problem that started yesterday - when I turn on my comp it detects the cpu but hangs at the memory test and just stays there. When I take out one of the memory sticks (2x512) it works fine regardless of which stick and regardless of memory bank but when I try to run both sticks of 512 in dual channel or single channel mode the computer just hangs and doesn't run a memory test and never gets into windows.

Any recommendations?

Just regular crucial pc 3200, I tried all the ram slots and it worked with one 512 stick (each stick)

Haven't tried the bios yet - maybe I should clear cmos.

If he says it boots with one stick, but either stick, then the problem is his memory controller/chipset, which means a new motherboard- not new RAM. That's my opinion, anywho. Sorry to disappoint, Eclipse!

Oh, and it could just be the BIOS- obviously. Try that first.

I tried clearing cmos and then using both sticks - at which point it didn't boot but only beeped.

I'm now running memtest on each stick. Still won't boot with both sticks of ram.

Try flashing to the latest BIOS, using only one stick. Then add the second. If that doesn't work, you'll most likely need to RMA the motherboard.

mavalpha said:
If he says it boots with one stick, but either stick, then the problem is his memory controller/chipset, which means a new motherboard- not new RAM. That's my opinion, anywho. Sorry to disappoint, Eclipse!
my thoughts exactly, thus the slim chance :D

most likely what's happened is the northbridge on the mobo was runing too hot for too long. this is where the memory controller is. the heat probably killed it to an extent, making running 2 sticks of ram at once too stressful. perhaps you can get some active cooling on it and bump up chipset voltage?

I ran memtest on both sticks and they checked out. I cleared cmos and now - regardless of the stick I use, it won't boot into windows at all and I get some garbled looking white lines all across my screen.

I'm going to take the motherboard out of the case and then try it with one stick again in each slot and slowly add the video card then the hard drive then see what happens from there.

Taking the motherboard out of the case and first starting with vid card, ram and cpu i was ok with one stick but not another.

Adding the hard drive and going into windows with the working stick all was well - no problems. Adding the other stick that was giving me problems earlier - no luck, beep codes from mother board point to memory problem.

I'm going to pick up another stick of crucial 512 and try it with the functional stick and see how that works.

polydiol said:
I'm going to pick up another stick of crucial 512 and try it with the functional stick and see how that works.
before doing that, simply swap sticks ;)

i did swap them - it consistently doesnt work on this particular stick in question regardless of memory bank/slot

aha, you didn't really say that before.. or at least not directly. definitly does sound like bad ram then. i'll take it anyway :p

I have another stick on the way - due here sometime this week. I'll see how that works, thank you all for your assistance!

Got a new stick of crucial pc 3200 and put it in and computer ran fine so its back to 1024mb again. Apparently it was RAM that went bad - ironic because I was under the impression Crucial memory was top notch.

polydiol said:
I was under the impression Crucial memory was top notch.
everyone makes mistakes, and there's no gaurantee that the stick was bad (not to point fingers though ;)). i should have told you to email crucial about it before you got a new stick, as they'll probably replace it. might as well give it a shot anyway, just to try to get a spare stick of ram or something :p

digging this up... what motherboard was it? I have the same problem with my uncles computer (GA-K8NS). Ran for 1 year no issues with two 256MB single-sided corsair value sticks (VS256MB400). Started crashing. Tried adding a 512MB double-sided corsair value stick (VS512MB400) and it would either freeze on memory test or give the single long beep. Updated BIOS, reset a bunch, at some points i couldnt even get it to POST with 1 stick. Eventually I got him running on one 256MB.

main question: if I get a different motherboard, will it take all 3 sticks I have at DDR400 speeds? its a 754 athlon64. gigabyte won't cross-ship, i need to pay for shipping it out there, and its only a $47 motherboard...

I'd be pissed if the northbridge overheated itself, the case has decent ventilation.

Back