Memory or mobo

sl1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys i just built my first watercooling loop and it works great. I decided to try my hand at overclocking my phenom 9750 but i seem to have hit a wall. I can get it up to 2.76 Ghz rock solid stable but nothing over that. FSB is at 230 mhz. Is there any way i can determine where im bottlenecked? The memory or the motherboard? I tried turning down the multiplier and still cant go over 230 FSB

Hey guys i just built my first watercooling loop and it works great. I decided to try my hand at overclocking my phenom 9750 but i seem to have hit a wall. I can get it up to 2.76 Ghz rock solid stable but nothing over that. FSB is at 230 mhz. Is there any way i can determine where im bottlenecked? The memory or the motherboard? I tried turning down the multiplier and still cant go over 230 FSB

What speed is the HT Link at? You may need to change a multiplier on that?

I have a setting that is k8 <> NB HT speed that is set to auto. All the options are MHz settings not multipier

I have a setting that is k8 <> HT speed that is set to auto. All the options are MHz settings not multipier

Ok. In that case can you run the latest CpuZ and post a screenshot showing the current overclock including the memory timings tab of it. That way we can see what we're dealing with in more detail :)

cpuz3vg4.jpg

cpuz2rv2.jpg

cpuz1zs5.jpg

-- I notice you have single channel RAM (1 stick only?) What RAM is it as it looks as though it's running at 922Mhz
-- I can see at the moment the HT Link is 2081Mhz, though im not sure it's stable much above that. Try and lower this number when overclocking keeping it around 2000Mhz

Try and keep your HT link speed at or below 2GHz, and lower your RAM as much as possible. Try to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible in order to isolate whatever is limiting your overclock.

Well i just finished messing around with things. Dropped the memory down low, HT link speed from 1.6ghz all the way to 2ghz. I can get the board to work fine at 250 fsb if i drop the multiplier on the cpu. I guess the CPU is limiting me. 2.75Ghz seems all she can do. Weird since temps are still below 40c

welcome to phenom ht bus overclocking. 230mhz was all i could squeeze out of a recent attempt to overclock a x3 8450.

Are the BE cpu's any better with the unlocked multiplier? Or should i be waiting for phenom II anyways?

posters on these forums have had luck overclocking via multiplier, but with the release of the phenom 2's looming, i'm waiting.

set your ram to 333mhz(667mhz DDR).. keep all your memory timing in the bios on auto.. 9 times out 10 the auto timing is loose compared to what the manufacture says it will run at.. also if you know the memory can run at ddr2-1000 you may need to bump the voltage up.. most high end memory runs at 2.0-2.2v and default bios will sometimes auto set it at 1.8-1.95v .. then set your HT link to either 4x or what ever is the second from the highest.. should be 2x through 5x.. but like a couple others said some motherboards are picky about HT link.. my biostar 780g will go to 2150mhz HT but my m2n-sli refuses to go over 2010mhz HT..

i know you said you tried it again.. by try it after reading this.. see what happens.. dropping your divider for example from 12x to 11x allows you to raise your FSB but it also effects the memory when doing that.. so until you know that memory can run above 450mhz dont change the multiplier.. everytime you hit 450mhz(900mhz DDR) drop the divider down again to 266 and so on.... also i noticed your running the stock voltage.. try bumping your voltage up .10v then slowly go up in 5mhz increments on your FSB run OCCT or prime 95 for about 20-25 minutes and just keep working your way up.. once it fails drop it 5mhz on the FSB.. you can keep raising the voltage as it becomes unstable to see if you can go higher.. but id say dont pass 1.4v until your absolutely sure the overclocks stable..

post in here or PM if this works or doesnt work for you.. but you should be able to get higher then 2.75Ghz..

btw post the specs on the motherboard and memory you have so we can help you better..

Awesome! When i get home ill PM you. Btw the ram is just value ram rated at DDR800, and the motherboard (which i think is the problem) is a cheap jetway motherboard. Model is PN78SM3-HL

Hey i gave that another try. I made sure that the ram never exceeded 400Mhz and the HT Link Was below 2000 Mhz and still nothing. I hav my vCore set at 1.375 as well. There are a bunch of other voltages but im not sure what they are for.

Back