Memory not performing on spec

STR

Gawd
I recently added a gig of RAM to my PC, it's DDR400 just like the previous two sticks. Everything worked well after the upgrade,until I moved around some PCI cards. I removed the old 56k modem and moved my Audigy 2 down to the bottom slot to make more room for the 6800. Those all still work great. However, my RAM is now going at 333MHz. I've confirmed this in the BIOS as well as CPU-Z. What went wrong?

Could I just go and change it in the BIOS? If so, is there a good source for getting an unlocked BIOS? I was given my current PC, a Gateway, so the only thing I can do is disable HT. If not, then what is my recourse?

Any help would be appreciated.

Try clearing your CMOS. Could be that the bios is holding onto some broken settings.

So, just power down and pull the battery? Or do I have to mess with the jumper?

Well, there should be a jumper reset. I'm not familiar with the mobo myself, but it should be a relatively painless process. If you don't think you can do it, don't. No sense in doing something wrong and messing something up.

as an alternative, you could try to access the bios on boot-up and see if you can set everything back to it's default. Dunno if that'll hold, but it's something to try.

Should be. If it gives you shit, follow the instructions on page 101 for a bios recovery, just make sure you have a diskette with the appropriate bios on it. It's good to have those laying around anyway.

Yeah, I'm good on that front.

Many thanks for your help.

Actually, upon closer inspection, it looks liek this just unlocks the bios. LoL, WTH is wrong with Intel. At any rate, it'll have teh options you need.

Sieravor said:
WTH is wrong with Intel. At any rate, it'll have teh options you need.

Yeah, really.

Unfortunately, no dice on the jumper. All it did was skip to the BIOS without me hitting F2. Everything was still locked.

Problem is that there is no chipset menu in my BIOS. I've heard that OEM's have special BIOS's with such features locked. Could I undo that by downloading the 865GLC BIOS from intel.com? Or are the two incompatible in some way? The board has been 100% similar to the reference pics so far, even down to the SATA plugs which I wasn't even aware I had because they were camouflaged (hits head against wall).

3dMark05 and CPU-Z say I have the 865GLC
gateway.com says I have a variant of the "Intel (Midway) Pentium 4 Motherboard No CPU R0"
My BIOS version is BF86510A.15A.0043.P07

I tried updating to an Intel bios on my wifes Dell and it detected it and stopped me in my tracks. Could only update with the Dell bios which, on the bright side, gave me newer processor support but I'm still stuck with a locked bios. :mad:

^Yeah. A BIOS flash is out of the question, even the updated Gateway BIOS won't upgrade. If I wasn't so broke at the moment, I'd chuck the whole thing and buy a dual core w/a reputable mainboard.

UPDATE: I've removed the orignal pair of 256MB sticks and everything went back to 200MHz. I reinstalled them and it went back down. For now, I'm just keeping the new 512MB DIMM's in until I can get another pair of the same stuff.

Back