Memory issues

gamz247

Gawd
The memory being referred to is that listed in the first rig in my signature: 2x512MB Mushkin Level II PC3500... the old BH-5 stuff.

So, I'm going along playing WoW, and from time to time I get various errors about access violations. Checking the WoW forums, they like to blame it on the user's hardware, especially memory. I download Memtest86 3.2, Memtest86+ 1.40 and the Windows Memory Diagnostic, run them all and encounter no errors during testing.

Then, I decide to let Prime95 run for a while (on WinXP). The first time I ran it, and I had reinstalled Windows only a day or two earlier, I put it in "Blend" mode, and had somewhere between 512 and 1024MB of virtual memory as well. That test ran for only 2 hours.

Next, I disabled the paging file and tried again. Prime95 would not run the Blend test without virtual memory, so I settled for the Large, In-Place FFTs test. This ran for only 41 minutes before failing.

Today, I had virtual memory set at 768MB, no more no less... started Prime and left for work. I think I'd be more surprised if it were still running when I got home than not.

Any idea what could be the reason for it to be passing the memory diagnostics but failing Prime? Would lowering the latencies possibly help some? Thanks.

if memtest passes and prime fails, it's the cpu.
also try new video drivers. i had problems playing wow.. i'd have random lockups, the mouse would go screwy or stupid stuff like that, and i went back to the last drivers nvidia released (not the newest ones) and everything works just fine now

(cf)Eclipse said:
if memtest passes and prime fails, it's the cpu.
My processor's running at 11x200 with 1.8V going to it. Would boosting the Vcore even higher possibly straighten things out, or is that "dangerous"?

Also, I loosened the memory timings from 2-2-2-X (was either 6 or 11) to 2-3-3-11, and was able to play WoW for 4 1/2 hours straight last nite. Prime95 lasted about that long overnite as well.

What is your memory voltage set to ? the ddr ref voltage should be at least 2.75V....up to what ever the max is on your mobo, the BH-5 can easily handle 3+V

Back