It has (2) 512 sticks of DDR400 @ 3-3-3-8

I want to have 2 GB total.

should I:
1) lose the existing 2 sticks and go with a 2x1GB kit $110
or
2) leave the 2x512 and add a 2x512 kit $60
or
3) leave the 2x512 and add a single 1GB stick $50

I would think the best way to go would be the 2x1GB kit so there is no chance of the new conflicting with the old.

and the worst way to go would be to just add 1-1GB stick ?? because it would not take advantage of dual channels

thanks for any input.

Do you have the computer in front of you? Alot of the sonys only have 2 ram slots. I know older amd's had a problem running 4 sticks at once and had to run them slower than normal. I don't know if it's the same with intel, but I would go with the 2x1gb just to be safe.

I'm going to recommend this ram. It's cheaper with free shipping and a little faster. I have it and have had no problems.

this is from the site that OP linked to for his comp

Sony website said:
"1GB PC-3200 400MHz DDR (512MBX 2) (Expandable to 2GB)"

this usually means that you only have two ram slots, notice the expandable to 2gb part. you may only be able to go with 2x1 to get to 2 gb. crack the case open and make sure first though.

this is from the site that OP linked to for his comp

this usually means that you only have two ram slots, notice the expandable to 2gb part. you may only be able to go with 2x1 to get to 2 gb. crack the case open and make sure first though.

According to Everest it has 4 slots.

Regardless, is it not better to get rid of the existing ram to ensure no conflicts. Also if I go with the GSkil as recommended by munkle then I get a matched pair with faster timings and utilize maximum allowable ram for this system.

Thanks munkle, I usually buy Corsair VS or XMS for all PC's I work on. The Gskil is a great deal.

please note the word usually, but yes, going for 2x1 would be my recommendation and will usually be an improvement over 4x512mb :D

please note the word usually, but yes, going for 2x1 would be my recommendation and will usually be an improvement over 4x512mb :D

thanks for the reply.

The last 4 PC's (2 dimensons, 1 sony, 1 hp) I have worked on had 2 empty slots so I disagree with :
"this usually means that you only have two ram slots"

they were also "expandable".

Most laptops I work on use both slots though. But I think it really varies from computer to computer.

I agree that unless overclocking that 2x1gb is better than 4x512 due to less stress on the memory controller. Bad for overclocking because of density.

thanks again for the input.

Back