Memory for Ivy Bridge

davet

n00b
For a Z77 board and going to get Ivy, since memory now supports I think much higher, is it better to get say DR 2133 or is that still a waste?

With SB, yes, it's a waste. We'll have to wait for IB reviews to determine whether or not higher memory speeds/lower latencies make a real difference. I've seen rumors from both sides of the fence. And, well, they're just rumors at this point in time.

spending more than $40 for 8GB is a waist since you can get 1.35v 8GB even without sales on the egg.

I was hoping to find out before..wanted to order cpu / mobo / memory on april 29th if i could. I need an upgrade badly still running e8400

With 1600 memory now closer to 1333 prices, I'd go that route if you're worried about it. If IB does significantly benefit from faster speed and lower latency memory, then buy some and post your 1600 in the FS/FT subforum to recoup some of your money.

Good idea just going to get 1600, I doubt 2133 will make that much of a difference.

if you are wanting to know before i have read some rumors going around that the NDA on IB will be up sometime around the 23rd so review sites should be able to start posting stuff then, even though release won't be for another week or so after that.

it's all rumors though so who knows.

Personally I think I am going to go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226245

Yes it's a little more money (not much all things considered) but its 2133 CL10 1.5V without ridiculous sized heat spreaders on them. The price is still very reasonable and if it does turn out to benefit great, if not I am sure I will get some great timings at 1600 or 1866.

I ended up getting 16GB (4x4GB) of Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V for $79 on sale, decided it wasn't worth the 80-100% price premium to go up to 2133 or 2x8GB DIMMs instead. I don't think there is any significant change in memory controller architecture with IB? I don't do anything memory intensive, largest load will be gaming so I'd rather spend the extra money getting a GTX 680 instead of 7950/670Ti.

The smallish heatspreaders are a bonus, should just fit under my NH-D14. They are still taller than Corsair Vengence low profile which was my first choice (but $25 more expensive for 4x4GB).

The 1.35v Samsung sticks I linked will overclock to 2133 with the same kind of timings most 2133 kits are rated at without paying the price premium and they are incredibly low profile so they'll fit under any heatsink.

Back