"Memory effect" in 30" Dell display

ryanjg11

Gawd
I have a Dell 3007wfp that I purchased used off craigslist a few months ago. The display works fine, but I notice after an hour or so of use that I can still see the "ghost" of window panes on my empty desktop. Brings me back to the good ol days of CRT burn-in. Has anyone experienced an issue like this with a Dell LCD, or any advice on if I can get it repaired?

If I turn the monitor off for a few minutes and turn it back on, everything looks good.

Some LCDs, generally older ones do this. It is burn in, similar to CRTs but as you noticed unlike CRTs it isn't permanent, just turn them off and it goes away.

Only thing you can do to prevent it is not to keep images static. Move things around, etc. However there is no problem long term. I have a monitor at work at does this and has done it for 5 years. Still works fine and time with the static image off is all it takes to get better.

If you want it fixed, have to get a different display.

If you want it fixed, have to get a different display.

I would normally bite the bullet and buy a new one, but these 30 inchers aren't cheap. Are you sure theres no way to repair it?

It is just a property of the panel. It isn't a defect, just a property. More common with older panels, and older 30" ones I know it to be something most have.

If you want to mitigate it, you just don't want to have static images. You can get something like DeskScapes from Stardock to get an animated background. Have a non-static background will help. Also get most of the icons off your desk, use Aero Glass so that the animation shows through the edges of windows, and shuffle the windows around periodically. Doing that will minimize the occurrence and your chances of noticing anything.

Also it isn't harmful. You don't get any permanent burn in or anything. You don't have to worry about that sort of thing always being there. You don't even really have to turn it off, just do something else. If you fire up a movie quick enough anything burnt in will vanish.

It is annoying, but nothing you can do much about, and not harmful. Basically you either have to deal with it, and you can reduce it using some of the things I've suggested, or go and get a new monitor.

Back