Memory cooling blocks...yeah, I know, I know

AndyM

Limp Gawd
The darn search function doesnt work so I gotta ask, what memory cooling block are any of you using? Any favorites that would seem to cool well? So far I've seen the MIPS versions (what IS the difference between the 3 and 4 versions anyway?), but really cant find anything else that turns my crank.

Yeah, I know it is probably a waste, but I am exploring the possibility of a seperate loop for my planned mosfet watercooling, and if I do a seperate loop for that, might as well throw the memory in there too for some bling, eh? :p The seperate loop will be 3/8" with the low-watt version of the Liang ddc3.(?) and one of the spare BIP's I have laying around bolted to my hard drive cooling fan. Should work sweet, just need some more suggestions that will push me over the edge to do this.

well, i had the koolance ones, but 1 leaked, and they don't fit over stock heatspreaders.

I tried the aquacomputer ones, not bad, but they didnt lower the ram temp much.

Innovatek makes some, but they are expensive.

Thermaltake makes some, but you probably know to stay away from them. MIPS are nice, but are pricey and take a while to get here (I ordered mosfet blocks, and it took 3 weeks).

The darn search function doesnt work so I gotta ask, what memory cooling block are any of you using? Any favorites that would seem to cool well? So far I've seen the MIPS versions (what IS the difference between the 3 and 4 versions anyway?), but really cant find anything else that turns my crank.

Yeah, I know it is probably a waste, but I am exploring the possibility of a seperate loop for my planned mosfet watercooling, and if I do a seperate loop for that, might as well throw the memory in there too for some bling, eh? :p The seperate loop will be 3/8" with the low-watt version of the Liang ddc3.(?) and one of the spare BIP's I have laying around bolted to my hard drive cooling fan. Should work sweet, just need some more suggestions that will push me over the edge to do this.

I'll let you know when my products come in. My latest impulsive expenditure involves 3 different ram blocks. The TT, MIPS, and AC Ramplex. I don't really have high hopes for the TT block, but it should be interesting to see. Wes wouldn't even recommend the AC ramplex. I had to insist on wanting to purchase it. Most people seem to agree on the uselessness of ram cooling, including me. But like you, I'm doing this for shits and giggles. Worse comes to worse, I'll just stick to my OCZ XLC flex sticks with build in waterblocks.

RAM watercooling may not do very much for OC, but where it does help quite a bit is in keeping the case temp down by getting the heat outside - which is always good. Especially if low-noise levels are a priority, and you also don't have watercooling on your HDD. - But if noise levels are not a concern, it doesn't really make much sense. (although I personally like to have waterblocks on everything possible ;) )

In a 3/8" loop I would say MIPS is your best bet, although they will for sure reduce flow some, it will be less than the other options. Watercools RAM Micro is the only all copper memory block, and can be used with most original heatspreaders, but then you have to make another loop with 6/4mm hose. AC Ramplex are also nice, and have fairly good flow, but you probably prefer a copper block. Innovateks are also aluminium - and by far the worst performing design imo.

Note that with MIPS you have to remove your heatspreaders! (if there are any).

(what IS the difference between the 3 and 4 versions anyway?)

The "RAM Freezer 3 inkl. 4 RAM Module" is for motherboards with max. 32mm spacing between first and last ram slot, while the "RAM Freezer 4 inkl. 4 RAM Module" is for motherboards with max. 40mm distance. Both can cool 4 ram sticks.

:)

I'll let you know when my products come in. My latest impulsive expenditure involves 3 different ram blocks. The TT, MIPS, and AC Ramplex. I don't really have high hopes for the TT block, but it should be interesting to see. Wes wouldn't even recommend the AC ramplex. I had to insist on wanting to purchase it. Most people seem to agree on the uselessness of ram cooling, including me. But like you, I'm doing this for shits and giggles. Worse comes to worse, I'll just stick to my OCZ XLC flex sticks with build in waterblocks.

My suggestion is that you cancel the order for the AC Ramplex. When I first saw it I was really jazzed until I actually saw one. Nice look, but poor implementation in design. It might work okay if you have ram that doesn't have an integrated shroud (heatsink) on it. The real problem is that the parts that hold onto your ram are attached to the water block in such a way as to not provide much in the way of heat transference.

RamPlex1.jpg

RamPlex3.jpg

I'll let you know when my products come in. My latest impulsive expenditure involves 3 different ram blocks. The TT, MIPS, and AC Ramplex. .

I'd love to see some photos of that MIPS setup, which version are you getting? MIPS seems the best so far from what I can see for this planned 'upgrade'. Then some matching MIPS mosfet blocks and it's good to go. But then again, I heard from EK that P5K mosfet blocks are coming out next week, so sticking those into my main loop might be more attractive...

The "RAM Freezer 3 inkl. 4 RAM Module" is for motherboards with max. 32mm spacing between first and last ram slot, while the "RAM Freezer 4 inkl. 4 RAM Module" is for motherboards with max. 40mm distance. Both can cool 4 ram sticks.

Thanks, I was having a bear of a time figuring this one out.

My suggestion is that you cancel the order for the AC Ramplex. When I first saw it I was really jazzed until I actually saw one. Nice look, but poor implementation in design. It might work okay if you have ram that doesn't have an integrated shroud (heatsink) on it. The real problem is that the parts that hold onto your ram are attached to the water block in such a way as to not provide much in the way of heat transference.

RamPlex1.jpg

RamPlex3.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I think that was what Wes was implying but didn't convey due to the lack of pictures.

RAM watercooling may not do very much for OC, but where it does help quite a bit is in keeping the case temp down by getting the heat outside - which is always good. Especially if low-noise levels are a priority, and you also don't have watercooling on your HDD. - But if noise levels are not a concern, it doesn't really make much sense. (although I personally like to have waterblocks on everything possible ;) )

In a 3/8" loop I would say MIPS is your best bet, although they will for sure reduce flow some, it will be less than the other options. Watercools RAM Micro is the only all copper memory block, and can be used with most original heatspreaders, but then you have to make another loop with 6/4mm hose. AC Ramplex are also nice, and have fairly good flow, but you probably prefer a copper block. Innovateks are also aluminium - and by far the worst performing design imo.

Note that with MIPS you have to remove your heatspreaders! (if there are any).

Are you sure that I'd have to remove the heat spreaders on my sticks for the MIPS block? If so, I might as well have to cancel them as well. Is there anyway to get the watercool block to accept G1/4 barbs?

The only ram sticks I have are OCZ XLC Flex 6400 Cas 3, OCZ XLC Flex PC-9200, Corsair Dominators PC8500, and Corsair Dominators PC9136: all of which have integrated heat spreaders. According to their warranty, removal of the heatspreaders voids the warranty.

Are you sure that I'd have to remove the heat spreaders on my sticks for the MIPS block? If so, I might as well have to cancel them as well. Is there anyway to get the watercool block to accept G1/4 barbs?

Yes I am afraid MIPS is quite clear about that:
"Der RAM Freezer 2 eignet sich zur Aufnahme von bis zu 3 double-sided Speichermodule mit ca. 3-4mm Dicke o h n e Heatspreader"
= The RAM Freezer 2 is suited for up to 3 double sided RAM modules of 3-4 mm thickness WITHOUT Heatspreader"

- and then they give a whole warning about how removing the heatspreader will void your warranty, and they are not liable for any damages etc.

The problem with the MIPS ram waterblocks, is that the aluminum cover that covers the RAM module is not adjustable, and can only "flex" between 3 and 4 mm RAM thickness - and doesn't allow for heatspreaders.

That is the clever thing about the Heatkiller Micro Ram block: They are adjustable (and copper), so most ram will fit complete with the original heatspreader. But there is no way you can get a 1/4" barb in there. Only two ways to do it (without getting to creative):
1. run a seperate loop for the ram with 6/4mm tubing as Watercool intends.
2. Use an tubing adapter from 4mm ID to 10mm ID or what size tubing you use. Should still be in a seperate loop from CPU though - otherwise it is a flow killer.

- My favorite is option 1, but I realize that may not be what you want...

Yes I am afraid MIPS is quite clear about that:
"Der RAM Freezer 2 eignet sich zur Aufnahme von bis zu 3 double-sided Speichermodule mit ca. 3-4mm Dicke o h n e Heatspreader"
= The RAM Freezer 2 is suited for up to 3 double sided RAM modules of 3-4 mm thickness WITHOUT Heatspreader"

- and then they give a whole warning about how removing the heatspreader will void your warranty, and they are not liable for any damages etc.

The problem with the MIPS ram waterblocks, is that the aluminum cover that covers the RAM module is not adjustable, and can only "flex" between 3 and 4 mm RAM thickness - and doesn't allow for heatspreaders.

That is the clever thing about the Heatkiller Micro Ram block: They are adjustable (and copper), so most ram will fit complete with the original heatspreader. But there is no way you can get a 1/4" barb in there. Only two ways to do it (without getting to creative):
1. run a seperate loop for the ram with 6/4mm tubing as Watercool intends.
2. Use an tubing adapter from 4mm ID to 10mm ID or what size tubing you use. Should still be in a seperate loop from CPU though - otherwise it is a flow killer.

- My favorite is option 1, but I realize that may not be what you want...

If you check my sig, I got three loops in my main gaming/benching system so I'll dedicate the 3rd loop towards handling the RAM block. I'm also leaning towards the heatkiller block now since it's all copper. The thing is, I use 3/8" tubing on the Chipset/HD/Ram loop. Would you know where to purchase this adapter as my german is completely limited. Also, what store would be the best to purchase that block for someone in the US?

Well you could certainly buy the whole thing at our shop: www.vcore.dk (where I am co-owner). We stock almost all the brands that have been mentioned in this thread, and ship worldwide, although shipping to the US will cost a bit.
- But since it is definitely not my intention to try and sell stuff through the forums, I will say that probably http://www.aquatuning.de will also ship to the US if you ask, and www.watercooling.de also. Both also has the RAM block in stock.

Probably best if you PM me, or email at [email protected] should you be interested in buying from us. :)

Here are my suggestions for making a 3/8" to 4mm ID adapter:
- Combine these 3 items:
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/muffe-1-4-600p.html
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/1-4-bspp-987p.html (the 3/8 barb you probably have already - but just to illustrate the principle)
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/1-4-6mm-621p.html

It is also possible to get rid of the middle G1/4" thread bushing, so it is just two fittings you combine, using a 3/8" barb with reverse (internal) thread that will screw directly together with the little Push-IN fittings. Have some lying around somewhere I think..

Another possibility in two steps if you like plastic barbs:
First from 10 to 6mm :http://www.vcore.dk/shop/adapter-10-til-303p.html
and then: from 6 to 4: http://www.vcore.dk/shop/adapter-6-til-615p.html
With a short bit of 6mm ID hose between.

Writing this I am wondering if we could find fittings for the Micro ram coolers that accepted 8/6mm instead of the 6/4mm tubing- that would make it a lot simpler. Can try and check it out if you like..

The only ram sticks I have are OCZ XLC Flex 6400 Cas 3, OCZ XLC Flex PC-9200, Corsair Dominators PC8500, and Corsair Dominators PC9136: all of which have integrated heat spreaders. According to their warranty, removal of the heatspreaders voids the warranty.

The OCZ Flex XLC modules integrated heat spreaders have barbs for water cooling them. I've used mine before, but found it pointless and I removed any coolant hoses from them when I did my whole cooling system upgrade recently. I like to keep the plumbing and the system in general as simple as possible and water cooling the ram didn't seem to coincide with that goal.

Well you could certainly buy the whole thing at our shop: www.vcore.dk (where I am co-owner). We stock almost all the brands that have been mentioned in this thread, and ship worldwide, although shipping to the US will cost a bit.
- But since it is definitely not my intention to try and sell stuff through the forums, I will say that probably http://www.aquatuning.de will also ship to the US if you ask, and www.watercooling.de also. Both also has the RAM block in stock.

Probably best if you PM me, or email at [email protected] should you be interested in buying from us. :)

Here are my suggestions for making a 3/8" to 4mm ID adapter:
- Combine these 3 items:
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/muffe-1-4-600p.html
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/1-4-bspp-987p.html (the 3/8 barb you probably have already - but just to illustrate the principle)
http://www.vcore.dk/shop/1-4-6mm-621p.html

It is also possible to get rid of the middle G1/4" thread bushing, so it is just two fittings you combine, using a 3/8" barb with reverse (internal) thread that will screw directly together with the little Push-IN fittings. Have some lying around somewhere I think..

Another possibility in two steps if you like plastic barbs:
First from 10 to 6mm :http://www.vcore.dk/shop/adapter-10-til-303p.html
and then: from 6 to 4: http://www.vcore.dk/shop/adapter-6-til-615p.html
With a short bit of 6mm ID hose between.

Writing this I am wondering if we could find fittings for the Micro ram coolers that accepted 8/6mm instead of the 6/4mm tubing- that would make it a lot simpler. Can try and check it out if you like..

Incoming PM. I'd appreciate it if you could get back to me soon as I'd like to place an order asap.

The OCZ Flex XLC modules integrated heat spreaders have barbs for water cooling them. I've used mine before, but found it pointless and I removed any coolant hoses from them when I did my whole cooling system upgrade recently. I like to keep the plumbing and the system in general as simple as possible and water cooling the ram didn't seem to coincide with that goal.

Yeah I know OCZ's do as I have them myself (and have been using them). However, I'm looking for a solution that will work regardless of whatever RAM manufacturer I choose. I prefer Corsair sticks in general and would like to have the opportunity to WC them. Trust me, I know how pointless it is to WC Ram sticks and have stated so in all previous posts. However, this one build of mine happens to be a build revolving around the idea of excessiveness =) I'd like to do it just for the sake of doing it.

Pardon my thread jack!

Ranker I saw your rig on XS recently. Nice job, but the wiring needs some attention when you get around to deciding what components to use. I myself do the same thing and save the wiring till the end when I know where everything will be. ;)

Did I also see a PCP&C Silencer 750 in there? Is it really quiet or is this more marketing hype? My 510 SLI is very loud to the point I'm ready to rip it out and do some 120mm mods on the PSU. When I bought mine I also bought another one for my nephew and he called PCP&C and they stated it was an industrial PSU and tough shit on the noise. :mad:

/Pardon my thread jack!

If you're thinking of the Koolance ones, check out the area surrounding your memory. I have the ASUS P5N32-E SLI board and there are capacitors right up against the memory slots which prevent the Koolance module from attaching to the motherboard

Pardon my thread jack!

Ranker I saw your rig on XS recently. Nice job, but the wiring needs some attention when you get around to deciding what components to use. I myself do the same thing and save the wiring till the end when I know where everything will be. ;)

Did I also see a PCP&C Silencer 750 in there? Is it really quiet or is this more marketing hype? My 510 SLI is very loud to the point I'm ready to rip it out and do some 120mm mods on the PSU. When I bought mine I also bought another one for my nephew and he called PCP&C and they stated it was an industrial PSU and tough shit on the noise. :mad:

/Pardon my thread jack!

Thanks TN. That rig isn't my main one but merely my home office. I added some bling to it, but mainly it just sits in a corner so I didn't want to get too involved with it. My focus is on finishing my Horizon atm which has gone under at least 5 revisions in the past month. I'm currently waiting on the copper reservoir and the RAM blocks I'll be purchasing either today or tomorrow to what may be the final revision. I plan on getting more pics up once the lady gets back with the camera from her vacation. I hate posting pics only because 1) it takes time away from actually working on the comp, 2) I usually like to be the only one that gets to enjoy my handiwork (oh am I a jealous lover). However, some had asked to see it for the sake of seeing how I did things and how certain blocks looked. I'll post a thread here sometime if I can get around to it.

The PCP&C is the quietest PSU that I've had the pleasure of using. The only other PSU's that have come close are the Silverstone ones. However, the reason I went with the Silencer was due to the simplification of wiring without having to worry about overloading a single rail in a multiple rail config. Various reviews have demonstrated solid, non-noisy power lines that PCP&C is known for. I actually ditched my 1K PCP&C for this model and haven't looked back. This is probably the only PCP&C model that was meant for silence as most of their PSU's were meant for server usage.

I HAD the AC Ramplex and found them a waste of money other than they looked very nice. Problem is the two pieces of heatsink never quite make good contact and ended up creating a V, meaning less contact.

I personally would go for the OCZ ram with the integrated waterblocks or the MIPS. Hmmm.. wonder if AquaPC's carries the MIPS as I could add them to my EK 8800 block and 680i block order....

Vcore +1, it is an awesome store.

I always look to there first when someone asks me where to buy Euro watercooling gear.

Great info...now to decide on a seperate mosfet and memory loop or EK mosfet blocks in the existing loop. Decisions, decisions, lol :p . I gotta say, nice to have someone involved with the MIPS stuff on this forum. Out of curiosity, roughly how much would shipping be to the USA?

Quiet power supplies: I like my Corsair HX620, I have some stuff in my machine and with it all cranked up and loaded the HX620's fan still is spinning at maybe 700 rpm or so eyeballing it. Quiet for sure. It is really made by Seasonic, which is one of the top mfr's out there, and the components used to build it are supposed to be higher than your typical power supply. Might be something to check into.

The PCP&C is the quietest PSU that I've had the pleasure of using. The only other PSU's that have come close are the Silverstone ones. However, the reason I went with the Silencer was due to the simplification of wiring without having to worry about overloading a single rail in a multiple rail config. Various reviews have demonstrated solid, non-noisy power lines that PCP&C is known for. I actually ditched my 1K PCP&C for this model and haven't looked back. This is probably the only PCP&C model that was meant for silence as most of their PSU's were meant for server usage.
While I won't argue that the Silencer 750 is quiet when not under load, I can only presume from your response that you've never actually taxed it, because mine sounds like a freakin' hairdryer (no joke, I've brought the hairdryer into the room to check) as soon as I start running a 3D app. I'm running an OC'ed Opteron 165 and a pair of X1900s, and this PSU is extremely loud when gaming. I am looking forward to replacing it with something that has a 120-140mm fan and some higher efficiency. I think you need to try out some more PSUs if the 'Silencer' 750 is 'the quietest you've had the pleasure of using'. Do you live near an Air Force base?

While I won't argue that the Silencer 750 is quiet when not under load, I can only presume from your response that you've never actually taxed it, because mine sounds like a freakin' hairdryer (no joke, I've brought the hairdryer into the room to check) as soon as I start running a 3D app. I'm running an OC'ed Opteron 165 and a pair of X1900s, and this PSU is extremely loud when gaming. I am looking forward to replacing it with something that has a 120-140mm fan and some higher efficiency. I think you need to try out some more PSUs if the 'Silencer' 750 is 'the quietest you've had the pleasure of using'. Do you live near an Air Force base?

LOL. No, I live in a nice and quiet gated community in Huntingtong Beach, CA.

I run orthos on my setup while I sleep at night while tweaking my overclock settings. I'm still able to sleep just fine without hearing anything louder than my Iwaki. Maybe I don't hear it while I'm blasting away on Quake Wars, CS:S, BF2142 with my hefty sound setup, but I don't hear it at all during normal operation, watching movies, etc. It's quieter than any other PSU I've owned other than Silverstones and it's the quietest PCP&C offers. I just don't trust any PSU not named PCP&C.

I run orthos on my setup while I sleep at night while tweaking my overclock settings. I'm still able to sleep just fine without hearing anything louder than my Iwaki. Maybe I don't hear it while I'm blasting away on Quake Wars, CS:S, BF2142 with my hefty sound setup, but I don't hear it at all during normal operation, watching movies, etc. It's quieter than any other PSU I've owned other than Silverstones and it's the quietest PCP&C offers. I just don't trust any PSU not named PCP&C.
Nice. Let's recap what you've said:

1)The Silencer 750 is quieter than your Iwaki [MD20RZ?] when not loaded
2)The Silencer 750 is the quietest PSU you've ever used aside from a Silverstone model, but you don't trust any PSU not made by PCP&C (from which one might leap to the conclusion that you haven't heard many non-PCP&C PSUs).
3) The Silencer 750 is the quietest PSU PCP&C offers.

Are you an attorney? j/k

I'm running two MCP655's on max setting and 8 case fans on a rheobus. When my PC is loaded, the Silencer 750 is by far and away the loudest thing in that case.

Better than having incidents like Columbine or the Virginia Tech incident where the NRA has a large influence.

I think people need to be responsible for their own behaviors and not blame inanimate objects for their foul deeds. Yes, California has some really stupid gun laws. The bad part is that the judges usually drop the gun crimes in the case of criminals and enforce them on the poor citizen trying to protect themselves from the criminals using them. Catch 22 is alive and well in California.

Why is it that people who are barricaded behind closed gated communities think that gun control works?

Nice. Let's recap what you've said:

1)The Silencer 750 is quieter than your Iwaki [MD20RZ?] when not loaded
It's quieter than my RD-30.

2)The Silencer 750 is the quietest PSU you've ever used aside from a Silverstone model, but you don't trust any PSU not made by PCP&C (from which one might leap to the conclusion that you haven't heard many non-PCP&C PSUs).
Oh I've used a large majority of PSU's out there including Enermax's, Seasonic, X Ultra's, Thermaltake etc. All of them have had their issues no matter how small they may be. In the end, only PCP&C put out quality PSU's imo with Seasonic and Silverstone coming in 2nd.

3) The Silencer 750 is the quietest PSU PCP&C offers.
Yes it is.

Are you an attorney? j/k
Actually I'm in the process of becoming one :)

I'm running two MCP655's on max setting and 8 case fans on a rheobus. When my PC is loaded, the Silencer 750 is by far and away the loudest thing in that case.

When my PC is loaded, it's normally done so by gaming at which point my speakers will mask any sort of noise coming from the PC. I'll have to mute the PC during a rough gaming session to see if what you say is true. However, during normal operation, it's perfectly quiet to me. But as with all humans, our hearing sensitivity can be vastly different.

Better than having incidents like Columbine or the Virginia Tech incident where the NRA has a large influence.

This is offtopic of course, but that's bullshit. Most firearms comited in crimes are obtained illegally. Gun control has NO effect on this. All gun control laws do is serve to make it harder for US citizens to protect themselves from aggression. In a case like the Virgina Tech shooting, had someone been there to respond quickly that maniac might not have killed as many as he did.

As for the Silencer 750 quad being loud, I don't think that it's all that bad but it isn't as quiet as something that uses a 120mm fan or 140mm fan for cooling. The 80mm design is dated and less efficient.

you gotta be fucking kidding me.:rolleyes:

cali has some of the WORST gun violence of the country. Why don't you ask crime victums in say, DC, how their truly draconian gun control laws protect the innocent and automagically remove guns from the criminals that want them......:rolleyes:

good lord we really need a "tard" smilie for folks like you.

Yeah I happen to have grown up in the VA, Washington DC, MD tri state (well one isn't a real state but still) area.

I can tell you this, the highest rates of violent crime is where guns are banned, ie DC, or where the weapon laws are draconian (ie parts of MD).

On the other hand in VA, with their lax as hell weapon laws and concealed firearm laws they do not have the same sorts of gun problems on a regular basis.

I live in DC and can't wait for them to get rid of those stupid laws, it doesn't stop anything.

Anyways I own the 750 quad. And while idle, I can't hear it over my stock case fans. However under load it's anything but silent. Not nearly as bad as say their turbo cool line, but still not silent.

Back