Memory clocks dropping and screen flicker when playing GPU accelerated video.

criccio

Fully Equipped
MSI Radeon HD5850 TwinFrozr II @ STOCK clocks and AMD Overdrive disabled. Catalyst 10.10/11/12

I recently went Eyefinity, and since then, whenever I start a movie, be it Flash or an h264 video in MPC-HC that my GPU will accelerate, my screen flickers and my GPU Memory clocks drop from 1000MHz to 900MHz.

Why the drop in clock speed? This didn't happen with a single screen.

Last edited:
Anyone?

Memory downclocking by 100MHz is normal when playing a video with 3 screens attached?

if its flash then you need disable hardware acceleration. Whenever you have multiple displays on the screen flickers when the memory clock changes.

if its flash then you need disable hardware acceleration. Whenever you have multiple displays on the screen flickers when the memory clock changes.

So its just a "because thats the way it is" kinda thing? Why does the memory clock down? I'm just curious.

the memory clock changes on single screens as well it just doesn't flicker when its a single display.

i have 5870 and it does the same thing. So i have to disable hardware acceleration. I think its very annoying. I don't know if the 6000 series cards do it.

Back