• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Memory causing Vista to not load?

dmanrevived

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2006
Messages
208
Earlier today, was just doing regular computer work on Vista and Explorer decided not respond. I had to force it to stop, so I decided to give my computer a reboot. The process got all the way to after the loading bars for Vista, and right before the little circular windows logo appears in the middle of the screen before the log in screen appears. Multiple restarts with no luck. In safe mode, Explorer was still acting weird. Start menu wouldn't pop up, nothing on the task bar worked, dragging a window around leaves a trail of "window" images.

I decided to reformat as my documents are saved in a separate partition anyways. Vista ran okay for about an hour before same problem again, so this time I knew it was hardware related. First thing I did was take out one of my 1gb memory sticks, Vista still wouldn't load. I tried taking out the other 1gb stick, and Vista loaded just fine.

So I ran memtest with the problematic memory stick, no errors. I popped both sticks back in, Vista loaded up okay. Worked until I had to restart (not related to problems), and Vista didn't load again.

Now I'm stuck running memtest on both sticks. I have no idea what to do if no errors come up. Anyone have any ideas?

Update: Both sticks passed memtest fine. I just tried booting Vista with the problematic stick removed, no luck. So I tried the other stick, also no luck. Maybe it's my motherboard?
 
what's your system configuration, ie exact mobo, memory, cpu and is anything OC'ed?
 
Back
Top