Memory and Processor on SN45G

n00b
I just updated my SN45G (v2 :() to the latest bios, and to my surprise the once rock-solid system I had is stable no more. Everything pointed to memory issues, so I checked the settings in the bios and, to my surprise, everything was alright. I tried underclocking the memory back to 166 and now it's muuch better, but still fails to resume STR. Could the new bios be undervolting the memory (traumatized by the vdimm of death issue) ? I got two sticks os Geil PC3200 512MB 6-3-3-3-2.5 w/ a mobile barton(2500+) running at 2.3Ghz vcore=1.6.
Also, anybody got hints on how can I push the processor further? I've seen everybody getting 2.5Ghz out of those chips..
currently, the chip is doing 54C on the bios. Is that normal for an SFF?

if you are 100% stable 2.3ghz @ 1.6v thats very nice. but you could easily not be if you havent tested yet. yet if that is idle at 54 degrees thats very hot, but if you just rebooted after a 100% load session and recorded this from bios then it would be better.
with some more voltage you will get that stable if its not, but if it is you have more potential for more overclockage.

about the bios update.
unless you were using vdimm other than AUTO then there shouldn't really be anything that would cause this. the bios just removes the options to change vdimm. on auto if you set to 200fsb you will get 2.6V

there could be some conflict with your ram and the new bios i guess, so if everything else doesnt fix it, then flash the old one back.

I'm ruinning prime95 now and the temperature began at 52 and now it's at 57. The case is at 45C, which is pretty bad I suppose. Maybe it's because the wires are all cluttered inside and my Radeon9800 Pro is pretty hot too.. Does all that sound too abnormal?

Now for the voltages.
I don't know how they should appear, but according to MotherBoard Monitor they are as follows:
Core 0 1.61
Core 1 1.51
+3.3 3.36V
+5.00 3.14V
+12.00 11.25V
-12.00 .90V
-5 0V
that +5.00 seems a little strange to me..

I'm running on the stock fan, and god it's loud.. 2743RPM right now.

I couldn't help but notice that ur running ur chip much faster than mine and much cooler too. Are you running it on water? Did u mod the fan?

yeah... i guess i modded it a tiny bit with a 21W 200CFM fan

rearshot.jpg

Those temps arent nessisarily horrible, but they are getting a little hot. I dont know how fast the sunon is going at that rpm you said, but you could very well put it to 100% if you can stand it. just put on some music! :p (unless its maxed already)

but there are lots of things you can do to better your temps
replacing the stock fan is the easiest, along with cleaning up wires and airflow.
then if you felt like it, you could cut out the rear honeycomb grill, and also some quality thermal paste in there, etc.

dont worry about wacky MBM stuff, mine displays my psu at negative 150 degrees and random nonsense all the time

I'm ruinning prime95 now and the temperature began at 52 and now it's at 57. The case is at 45C, which is pretty bad I suppose. Maybe it's because the wires are all cluttered inside and my Radeon9800 Pro is pretty hot too.. Does all that sound too abnormal?

Now for the voltages.
I don't know how they should appear, but according to MotherBoard Monitor they are as follows:
Core 0 1.61
Core 1 1.51
+3.3 3.36V
+5.00 3.14V
+12.00 11.25V
-12.00 .90V
-5 0V
that +5.00 seems a little strange to me..

I'm running on the stock fan, and god it's loud.. 2743RPM right now.

I couldn't help but notice that ur running ur chip much faster than mine and much cooler too. Are you running it on water? Did u mod the fan?

I would test your volatges with a multimeter, because if those readings are correct, they could be the root of all you problems. generally 11.4 is the lowest you want on the +12 and 4.2 is the loewest on the +5. the -negative voltages don't matter anymore so those are not an issue.
in my sn45g I have a gig of geil value ram pc3200 with a unlocked barton @ 210 10.5 and I have no isssues what so ever, another test to try t narrow down the problem is memtest to test your memory, but to me it sounds like it might be a psu problem. an easy way to find out is if you can hook up a regular atx psu to the shuttle hanging outside the case, if your problems go away, then there you go

Well, I have no Idea on where I should stick the probes of the multimeter, so I guess I'll refrain from using it at least at first :D

I managed to lower the voltage a little more.. I'm running at 1.55 now.. Seems stable, but then again, I'm pretty sure it's gonna reboot soon.. And I'm still running the memory below specs (7-3-3-3-2.5).

How fast are u running ur mem? Do u have the silent X PSU or the regular one?

I just 'downgraded' the bios and it seems to be 100% stable, altho I lost 500 3dmarks.. :(

Better playing a little slower than not playing at all.

The newer Shuttle SN45Gs have Ram Voltage issues, so like opps to shuttle.

If Your not useing the new SilentX 250W power supplies, I would upgrade.

Bad regulator chip to RAM, fries if you set it to 2.7V. Their new BIOS "FIX" just deletes the option

Back