memory and gaming

natekoz

Limp Gawd
I have an inspiron 9300 with 512x2. I was wondering how much bumping it to 1024x2 would help in pushing gaming farther? Would i notice a few more fps with it bumped up or would it just be for load times of maps and such?

Some games will take advantage of the extra ram. Everquest 2 for example likes the extra ram. I think BF2 works well with more then a gig as well but I'm not positive. Pretty much most games it should help a little with load times.

swatbat said:
Some games will take advantage of the extra ram. Everquest 2 for example likes the extra ram. I think BF2 works well with more then a gig as well but I'm not positive. Pretty much most games it should help a little with load times.
I agree. It cant hurt moving to 2 gigs of ram. New games will only continue to use more ram.

on that same note then, which kind would you guys recommend? I know it uses ddr pc4200 533mhz ram, but what type of brands do you think are better then other in terms of performance?

Performance is not going to be a big issue between brands but I tend to recomend name brands as I've seen too many issues with cheap knock off ram. Cosair, crucial, samsung, kingston, etc are all good.

I saw a deal on newegg for some kingston ram so that would be good chips to jump on?

DDR2 all has about the same timmings, and snice you can't O/C, I would just get 2 of 1GB trancens sticks for under 100$ a stick.

swatbat said:

that would be a good choice, any game should make use of the extra ram. you get 2GB and disable your swap file, then your games will never freeze or jerk like BF2 does with 1GB

I'm running 2 GB of the Transcend memory that Donk3y mentioned. No problems with it after about 3 months now. The popular name brand stuff doesn't cost much more if you want the peace of mind.

Back