MegaWorks . . Max Volume Limitation

SoundBlaster

Limp Gawd
I owned MegaWorks THX 5.1 from few days, and I use it with my notebook with USB soundblaster MP3+ ( only two Speakers) and I set the volume up to 80% after a couple of minutes I touch the subwoofer at the back and I feel a hotness, with only two speakers and the sub volume is 100%.

If I use the the complete system (the five sats of Megaworks) with Audigy2 zs and using THX set console program I increase the level to the max level, and Megaworks Master volume up to MAX (100%), after how many minutes the Amps will burns?

For how many minutes should I keep it up to aviod burning the Amps?
And, What is the safe mode of Volume level which guarantee the Amps far-away from buring for a long duration(in hours) ?

If the amp only gets a bit warm, I really wouldn't worry about it. Plenty of amps produce buckets of heat, and it isn't a problem, it's just how they are designed to run. As long as the speakers continue to work without any incidents, just ignore the fact that the amp heats up.

On the other end of the spectrum, you really shouldn't be cranking the gain that high. You're just asking for trouble by running the speakers at such a high level. I doubt you'll hurt the amp in any way, but you will probably get a lot of distortion and hissing.

So, approximately at which volume level I guarantee there will be no risk on Amps, if it is operates continuously at a long time? I want estimation values

Thanks

there is not a difinitive guide. you cannot say if you run at 4 o clock volume for 20 mins you will destroy your amp it just doesnt work like that. just listen for distortion and turn it down....

What is the best volume level which the system does not distort at it? And that level w/o distortion will let the system works for long time continuously w/o risk ( burn-up of Amps)?

( by the way, sorry about more questions, but I don't want to damage my system )?

Thank you very much

My gigaworks make a fantastic space warmer. Its nothing to worry about, the bit you touch is a gigantic heatsink, its supposed to get warm, if it gets hot then start to worry, but ive had these on about 70% gain for over an hour, which is unbearably loud if your in the same room as them, and it didnt heat up much at all.

It is right for Gigaworks, the heat consumption was ehanced by embedding massive heatsink, whereas, Megaworks doesn't have massive heatsink !

I need Meagworks users to state their suggestion.

Thank you for your reply

If creative built them right they should be able to handle high volumes for awhile... if you need to have your speakers maxed out constantly you should invest in some powered monitors or something else that is built to put out those volumes without distortion.

or get your ears checked, i mean do you NEED it that loud??

if you need that volume to get the right kind of buzz from the music then you might want to get your ears checked, the loadest i would go is club level. and then sometimes that is too loud.

But I know that Megaworks uses BASH amplifier Technology, which ensure very low distortion at high volume not like Inspire series with fast distortion. . . :(
In gaming, I always crank the volume up, and in gaming audio not the same as music listening, in music listening you can hear the distortion easily but in gaming the distortion couldn't be heard easily.

Give me an approximate volume level w/o distortion

Soundblaster,

The bottom line is, NOBODY KNOWS what level is really safe or not. if YOU are concerned about it, YOU figure it out, because not that many people own those speakers, and I also doubt that the people who do aren't interested in cranking theirs until they fry so you'll have piece of mind.

Also, the question you ask doesn't have a simple answer. There is no 'magic volume' that will guarantee both that you get the loudest volume possible along with complete safety from any potential hazards. Game and movie soundtracks are recorded at wildly varying levels, so a volume level that is safe for WoW might immediately blow your sub once you start up Halflife2.

You'll find, like most things, if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself, and that even a simple question can be deceptively complex to answer.

When it comes to computer speakers, usually there isn't enough power to really damage the components. To be on the safe side though, turn the speakers up until you hear distortiont, then back down until the distortion disapears. Next move to the other end of the house and have a listen. If distortion appears after you have moved away then they are still too loud. Human ears have a hard time hearing distortion at high volume levels unless it is really bad. Once you are away from the speakers you can really give a good listen. After you do this you should have the maximum volume you can reach without audible clipping or distortion.

You are in true, not anybody will think about measuring the exact MAX level of volume w/o hazard, but I'll try by myself to find out the relationship between room temperature also, and increasing volume level , after that I'll conclude the optimal volume level !!

Thanks everyone

If you are that worried about it, get a 12v wal wart and an 80mm fan (pick one that fits your noise requirements). Jerry-rig the fan so it blows air across the heatsink.

Back