• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Megahalems installation question/concern

Talcyon

n00b
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
17
So I just received the parts for my new computer in the mail and am working on installing the prolimatech megahalems. Well, at least the bracket. My concern is when I started attaching the backplate to the motherboard.

I screwed in the shorter end of the double end stud to the backplate and it's not very secure in my view. Is there supposed to be a little "play" between the stud and the motherboard? I'm hoping it all locks down fine once I set it all up. Nothing appears to be broken, warped or anything of that nature. The motherboard in question is the EVGA (not classified edition)...not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, just in case someone asks...yes I used the correct backplate =).

Thanks in advance.
 
A little update, I went ahead and installed the heatsink and fan (had two but the mobo won't let me install two) and it appears to be secure. I guess it's just pretty loose until everything is installed. Once I get everything up and running I'll post temps.
 
I installed mine a couple of days ago and there was no play, at all, between the stud and the motherboard.
 
Mine was also a little loose after I put the screw studs in, but it seems secure enough. I really like the mounting hardware, its better than having some sticky double sided tape that does not come off.
 
Well, so far so good I suppose. At idle it's around 40 (+/- 2-3) and I used Prime95 to stress it a little and it got to about 60. Now I haven't put everything in the case yet (CM HAF 932). I have it on a test bench so I'm not sure how the temps will be once I have everything in there.

I'm running Prime95 right now utilizing the "dummy OC" via the BIOS and it's in the mid 60's (high of 69 so far) at 3.3. Once it runs overnight with no problems I'll put it in the case and then OC it higher.

In addition to all that, my room is fairly warm so that may play into things a bit.
 
Here's my Prime95, Small FFT's temperatures, with i7 920 overclocked to 4200 MHz.

11-1.png
 
I was using Large FFT's and 8 workers so that might be why my temps were higher but I'll see how they are running the same setup as yours. Also, running Prime95 for 12 hours, everything ran fine and temps stayed in the mid to high 60's. I know some people recommend 24 hrs but I want to test everything else next (RAM and GPU).
 
Back
Top