Mega Man Is Heading to the Big Screen

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A movie adaptation of Mega Man is reportedly moving forward: Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, who recently directed “Nerve” and “Viral,” are in final negotiations to write and direct. I am having a difficult time imagining how they can translate the franchise into live action while keeping things faithful to the series.

Chernin Entertainment is producing the project with Heroes actor Masi Oka. Twentieth Century Fox worked for over two years to acquire the rights and finally closed a deal earlier this year. The video game, first released in 1987 by Capcom, centers on a robotic lab assistant created by a scientist named Dr. Light. Light is betrayed by a colleague, the disgruntled Dr. Wily, who reprograms a line of robots in order to take over the world. The lab assistant, nicknamed Rock, then upgrades himself into combat mode in order to save mankind.

Nope.jpg

Mortal Kombat is the only video game movie I enjoyed. It was campy but so was the game. I can't really think of another video game related movie I enjoyed besides tron.

I'm in if megaman curb stomps Dr. Wiley at the end. American history x style.

Only game movie I didn't mind was final fantasy. It had nothing to do with the games. I always thought that was an asset.

I just don't know how well this is going to translate to live action.

At some point someone will make a good film based on a video game(live action). I don't think this is it.

I was hoping Netflix would snag Mega Man to make into an original anime series like what they did with Castlevania. I read quite a bit of criticism about Netflix Castlevania but thoroughly enjoyed it myself.

I'm in if megaman curb stomps Dr. Wiley at the end. American history x style.

Only game movie I didn't mind was final fantasy. It had nothing to do with the games. I always thought that was an asset.

There's the megaman 1 cover art that backs that up.

Attachments

• 56246-Mega_Man_(USA)-10.jpg
    56246-Mega_Man_(USA)-10.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 29
In a way I don't see Mega Man translating, yet in another way I feel like a Metroid movie would work. Maybe it's the difference in tone.

Am I completely out to lunch?

Nope.jpg

Mortal Kombat is the only video game movie I enjoyed. It was campy but so was the game. I can't really think of another video game related movie I enjoyed besides tron.

Heh, yeah. I need to see if I still have the signed Bridget Wilson picture they were giving out at Comic-Con that year.

Protomen have 2 albums based on a MegaMan story, so I can see them doing something like that. They're both presented in such a way where they tell a story anyway.

This just sounds like it is going to be terrible right off the bat. Will have to rely on special effects pretty heavily to even have something presentable.

TBH I don't know why they don't make movies based off RPGs instead of action movies. RPG's at least have a story to work with...

A movie based on Mega Man Legends would be better. Doesn't look like that though.

Back