Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Zalman flower coolers
Thermaltake flower cooles
Noctua NH-U9F
Ninja Mini
XP90(c)
Thermaltake mini typhoon
Zalman CNPS9500

Due to the shape of the V1 you will want to check the height restrictions of your case prior to purchasing it. Also, because of its 'V' shape, the orientation of the V1 will either have the fan pointing upwards towards the power supply or downwards towards the video card. No aiming it at your exhaust fan here, sorry.

Page 9 is I would think wrong,is the above in mention of only [H]'s testing setup or in general ?

I had one (V1) setup in a few cases of my own,and had it pointing towards my rear 120mm exhaust without any issue at all.Example below :

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v130/JIN-ROH/2470WNX-BK/?action=view&current=58560642.jpg

Once again, Hello Guy's, you may know me as Slaymate from a few other sites.
I luv'ed the review. As always HardOCP rocks :) I'd like to make a comment or 2
about the CM GeminII. I reviewed this heatsink back in April and my 1st observation
was how it was designed to be used with (2) 120mm fans. I tested it with a combination
of (2) Nexus, (2) Silverstone and (2) 190cfm Delta's. Comparing it to other coolers by
limiting the number of fans it's designed for is like reducing the speed of a cpu to match
it's competition. Why not remove some of the heatpipes to make them all the same.
The Cooler Master GeminII is the Best Heat Sink I've ever tested. It's large, extremely,
but if you've got the clearance to use it with (1) fan then you've got the room for (2) fans.

I made a post about an hour ago, about the Real Power Pro 1250W Power Supply
review on the main page. I've also tested that unit. Luv'ed it and the HardOCP Review :)
Needless to say I get to test alot of CoolerMaster products. But I don't always give good
ratings. I burned them so bad with their "Mars" and "Eclipse" coolers that the CEO
scheduled a conference call between myself, my site administrator and the Head of CM's
engineering department. A few months later they released the GeminII. While I can't prove
thay designed the GeminII to my specifications, it seems awful coincidental. The GeminII
is a Great Heat Sink, I appreciate the "Most Versitile" title a lot, but it is truely so mush
more when tested as designed.

I don't need proof or a patent. I don't charge for my advise. I don't post a lot here
at HardOCP to have a reputation but I Luv the site. If you have problem with my
opinions just do a google search for Slaymate. I'm well Luv'ed and I know it.

Edit: I'm the one at HWHell, GamersHell, PCApex and VoidedWarranty :)

Nice review here. I have the GeminII and it's not the best cooler even with 2 fans. Plenty of sites have reviewed it with two fan configurations and it's in the middle of the pack (ie does not beat Tuniq or Ultra 120). However, for the $3 after rebate that I paid for it, it can't be beat :).

for reference, review with 2 fans: http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2978&p=7

I second what filthysanchez said, a smaller cooler round up is going to be much appreciated

Nice review here. I have the GeminII and it's not the best cooler even with 2 fans. Plenty of sites have reviewed it with two fan configurations and it's in the middle of the pack (ie does not beat Tuniq or Ultra 120). However, for the $3 after rebate that I paid for it, it can't be beat :).

for reference, review with 2 fans: http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2978&p=7

It is a middle of the road aftermarket cooler, but that anandtech reviewer appears irritated that it worked at all. The language used was so biased it was nauseating. But then if you look at all the charts the Gemini falls pretty squarely in the middle of the pack. I was surprised to see a review like this on Anandtech. The [H] review lets the data talk and comments professionally when necessary. My review of the reviews, ;).

FWIW, a lot of watercooling folks tout the benifits of pulling air through a rad and opposed to pushing. In a perfect world the flow would be the same, but they show measureable differences. It would be interesting to see push vs pull on this and other similar type coolers. I suppose only a few let you choose the fan and direction...

I dont see much wrong with the Anand review of the Gemini.
They reported what they found and what it means.
Fair enough :)

I am not a cutting edge clocker anymore, but grew to love [H] back in the day because of their "real life" reviews and opinions.

Great article, but with anything is life, it could have been a little better. Some things have been already beat to death, so I will gloss over those.

1) Quad CPU. I am contemplating a new rig and am considering a Q6600, and don't want to go with a cooler that may "overload" if I clock it. While I would never buy one, I can see that as a real possibility for the Tec systems.

2) Included fans. They shipped it, you should test it. Most people will use an included fan. You can always swap it out with a control fan and rerun the test. Even if it's just on the load side. I don't think it matters much on the idle side of the test.

3) Noise. If it includes a fan, how noisy is it. Noise is going to be a major issue with my new system.

4) Passive cooling would be interesting to see, but tough to review. It is too dependent on the case airflow. Besides most passive coolers would be overwhelmed by clocking.

5) Value. If it needs a fan, figure something in.

6) In the section of the results where you mention full vs half length heat pipes, a quick rundown of the 2 camps would have been helpful. Instead you have to go back and read through 10 pages to refresh which was which.

It's hard to describe how much I enjoyed the article. I know comprehensive, fair, and balanced reviews like this eat up enormous amounts of time and money. And I'm sure I am speaking for many more lurkers out there that this is just another example of the foresight and experience that has kept me coming back to [H] for many years.

Don

I don't need proof or a patent. I don't charge for my advise. I don't post a lot here
at HardOCP to have a reputation but I Luv the site. If you have problem with my
opinions just do a google search for Slaymate. I'm well Luv'ed and I know it.

Edit: I'm the one at HWHell, GamersHell, PCApex and VoidedWarranty :)

I have a
question.
Why do
you write
like you
are in
seventh
grade?

I liked seeing a new [H]eatSink review - it's been a while.

I second the idea of using the stock fan, where provided, along with the apples-to-apples approach. The [H] video card reviews show both, that methodology should carry through. Single and dual-fan for those with the option is reasonable, I think.

All-in-all, I'm happy with my $8 GeminII, since it is absolutely the best price/performance ratio of the bunch (given FrozenCPU prices it at $50 - most places price it around $15-30, often w/rebates). Hopefully the price of the tested fan was included with those units not bearing one of their own - including the GeminII.

More reviews of similar- Actually, less reviews, but more of these comprehensive [H]SF reviews!

-bZj

On what fans to use, I think you should do the following:

If it comes with a fan, use that fan.

however, you should also have a standard fan (or 2) that you use on all of the sinks.

The standardized ones could include, for example, a high CFM fan and one geared towards silent computing.

I'm personally only interested in the latter, but by doing these 3 things, we can see how good the stock fan is and what we can gain by switching to some other fan (either in reduced noise or lower heat). What's more, we can decide if it's worth upgrading the fan.

On what fans to use, I think you should do the following:

If it comes with a fan, use that fan.

however, you should also have a standard fan (or 2) that you use on all of the sinks.

The standardized ones could include, for example, a high CFM fan and one geared towards silent computing.

I'm personally only interested in the latter, but by doing these 3 things, we can see how good the stock fan is and what we can gain by switching to some other fan (either in reduced noise or lower heat). What's more, we can decide if it's worth upgrading the fan.

As posted previously in this thread, those issues will be addressed in our next article.

One minor issue....

You said 20 years ago computers were silent? You forget to mention that anything from that era with a HDD in it, would be as loud if not LOUDER than modern day machines. Both my old 20MB HDD(IBM) and 107MB HDD(SEAGATE) were EXTREMELY loud... at night you could hear the computer humming at the other end of the house.

Nothing to do with cooling, but just decided to point that out. ;)

The Tt used,is not exacly quiet ;) I have one here.I prefer Scythe brand.More honesty with CFM,etc...

I love my Panaflo's for reliability and quietness....

How reliable?? How about one out of my old Tandy 1000(1991) that has run almost every day 24hrs a day since 1991, when I bought it?? It is still running 24hrs a day in my server! :D

BEST FAN EVAR! ;)

P.S. It was about 6 years old when I first took it out of my Tandy and cleaned it.... it was caked with brown gunk.

2 points I have

1. some of the images don't work when you want to expand them

and 2. I love the graphs! not sure when you changed them (I haven't read a [H] article in a while) but they look killer

I realize that you have addressed possible shortcomings of the article in preparation for the next one. I would just like to chime in on some of my thoughts, some of which have already been mentioned.

2. Use the stock fans for the CPUs that come with them.

nothing out theres up to snuff?

2 points I have

1. some of the images don't work when you want to expand them

and 2. I love the graphs! not sure when you changed them (I haven't read a [H] article in a while) but they look killer

I had the same problem yesterday, just click next picture, then previous picture, and it'll show up. Not sure why :confused:

Well ,, I read all that, hoping I would not have to ask, but I am not clear as to what I should do? I need some advice, I have just finished receiving all my new PC parts and was in the process of putting it together. I have an Intel Q6600 CPU going on a GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 MoBo. I also purchased one of those Cooler Master Hyper TX 2 Universal CPU Coolers (after rebate 99 cents). Nice fan! Unfortunately I spent the last 2 hours pushing / pressing and popping that damned this to try and secure it to the board. I had it on the workbench protecting it as best I could. Hope I havnt done any damage to my new MOBO? I gave it all I had, I eventually THINK I got it secured, but didn’t hear any decent clicks on a few. Long story short, I took the damned thing off! I will go with a Cooler with a back plate, I just don’t know what would be a good choice? Suggestions please for a socket 775 air cooler on a Q6600, thanks

One minor issue....

You said 20 years ago computers were silent? You forget to mention that anything from that era with a HDD in it, would be as loud if not LOUDER than modern day machines. Both my old 20MB HDD(IBM) and 107MB HDD(SEAGATE) were EXTREMELY loud... at night you could hear the computer humming at the other end of the house.

Nothing to do with cooling, but just decided to point that out. ;)

I think most people here are too young to remember that. I can take the drone of fans, but the "crushing glass marbles" sound of the old hard drives in a steel box used to drive me nuts. I have an old server that you can hear crunching through 2 closed doors. Lol, I remember playing Mahjong on a school IBM 386DX and Getting caught because I couldn't hear the teacher coming... :rolleyes:

I think most people here are too young to remember that. I can take the drone of fans, but the "crushing glass marbles" sound of the old hard drives in a steel box used to drive me nuts. I have an old server that you can hear crunching through 2 closed doors. Lol, I remember playing Mahjong on a school IBM 386DX and Getting caught because I couldn't hear the teacher coming... :rolleyes:

How about the sound of an 8" floppy disc read/write? That's loud. :)

Have read the review many times, and just now realized I failed to comment.

Quality job. I trust [H] more than any other out there.

ditto to the requested changes, and especially DonDon's minor criticisms.Also, to whoever it was that posted those newer still HDT's. thanks!

Back