Meet "Finger Cutter"

nst6563 said:
you wouldn't be saying that if you stuck your finger in the TMD fan on my HSF. See the small notch in the blade at the top? That's from when I accidentally got my finger in ther and it took off the very end of it...nail and all. Those TMD's are torque monsters...not to mention they spin at 5700rpm.

tmd.JPG

:EDIT: and yes...the fan was moving at 5700rpm when I took this picture....so the pic of that other fan could have very well been taken while it was moving too. Cameras are cool like that :p
crap dude, bet that hurt :eek:

and it only does that with the flash on, with no flash, it spins

Carnival Forces said:
heh, there was this cheapo evercool fan on the stock HSF that came w/ my 950Mhz Duron...i hadn't clipped my nails lately, so i was fooling around inside the case while the fan was on...my pinky strayed a little bit too close.

there was a *snap* and then a *tinkle* as my nail-clipping problem and 5/7 fan blades were removed. :eek:
rofl :D :D

DaCoOlNeSs said:
crap dude, bet that hurt :eek:

and it only does that with the flash on, with no flash, it spins
does the flash sorta help the camera capture faster?... i notice that with my camera, when theres no flash, it takes a second or two and then its done.. but with flash its like, flash and the pics done... weird or am i just paranoid?

A camera works by taking in light. The more light the camera takes in, the faster the shutter speed. To take a picture without flash, the shutter speed needs to be slowed down to allow the right amount of light in to make the picture (otherwise you'd get a VERY dark picture). With a slower shutter speed, it's also easier to capture movement...such as the fan blades.

The flash changes all that so that there is plenty of light and the shutter speed can be fast enough to stop motion... :)

hope that's a simple enough "layman's" term explanation, It may not be completely correct, but it's what happens in general I think....I'm no pro photographer...I let the camera do the work. :D

nst6563 said:
A camera works by taking in light. The more light the camera takes in, the faster the shutter speed. To take a picture without flash, the shutter speed needs to be slowed down to allow the right amount of light in to make the picture (otherwise you'd get a VERY dark picture). With a slower shutter speed, it's also easier to capture movement...such as the fan blades.

The flash changes all that so that there is plenty of light and the shutter speed can be fast enough to stop motion... :)

hope that's a simple enough "layman's" term explanation, It may not be completely correct, but it's what happens in general I think....I'm no pro photographer...I let the camera do the work. :D
good explanation... so if i had no flash but a VERY strong lighting on a fan, then technically, i would catch it in mid-motion right?

wayne said:
good explanation... so if i had no flash but a VERY strong lighting on a fan, then technically, i would catch it in mid-motion right?

in short...yes. But you'd need some real good lighting for that to happen....an ordinary flashlight (2 batteries) may not be enough...

nst6563 said:
in short...yes. But you'd need some real good lighting for that to happen....an ordinary flashlight (2 batteries) may not be enough...
what about 3-5 60w light bulbs?

Probably 2-3 would do it if they were in close proximity (within about 5 feet). Hell, 1 100w would probably do it...dunno...would be an interesting experiment to do with some spare time :)

I have my own war story concerning high speed rotating objects. Some friends and I watched a video of these guys spinning up CDs at high RPMs on a Dremel and thought it'd be pretty cool to do this ourselves. Kinda sounds like those kids that re-enact Jackass stunts. :D
Anyway, we found ourselves a Rotozip, none of us having a Dremel on hand, and began shooting CDs down the hall in our dorm. It was bad ass watching them explode on impact with a wall. Then, one guy suggests that we shoot hard drive platters down the hall. DUMBASS. But, of course, we did it anyway. So, we did that, and it was pretty cool watching them ping around. Another of the guys thought it would be "funny" if he took his hacksaw and cut teeth into the platter. Needless to say, someone got hurt. Not bad though. The platter shot off and skimmed right up the cheek of a friend, missing his eye by about an inch. Fortunately, it didn't cut deep, didn't need stitches, and just left a cool scar. Would've been cooler if the platter would have gone up the cheek, skipped the eye, and continued up his eyebrow. :p
God I love college. :D

Ahh not to sound morbid or anything, but these horror stories kinda wanna make me get adventurous! :D

Phantom Wrath said:
I have my own war story concerning high speed rotating objects. Some friends and I watched a video of these guys spinning up CDs at high RPMs on a Dremel and thought it'd be pretty cool to do this ourselves. Kinda sounds like those kids that re-enact Jackass stunts. :D
Anyway, we found ourselves a Rotozip, none of us having a Dremel on hand, and began shooting CDs down the hall in our dorm. It was bad ass watching them explode on impact with a wall. Then, one guy suggests that we shoot hard drive platters down the hall. DUMBASS. But, of course, we did it anyway. So, we did that, and it was pretty cool watching them ping around. Another of the guys thought it would be "funny" if he took his hacksaw and cut teeth into the platter. Needless to say, someone got hurt. Not bad though. The platter shot off and skimmed right up the cheek of a friend, missing his eye by about an inch. Fortunately, it didn't cut deep, didn't need stitches, and just left a cool scar. Would've been cooler if the platter would have gone up the cheek, skipped the eye, and continued up his eyebrow. :p
God I love college. :D
finally a use for those aol cds

Back