Media Players

LJ57

2[H]4U
Wow, I haven't been here in years now, so I'm not even sure which forum to put this.

Anyway, I am looking to buy a media player that allows me to watch video files on the TV via HDMI. Everything I see listed at places like Amazon has pretty bad reviews, so I'm hesitant to buy any of those. Does anyone know of a good media player in the $50-100 range that is worth buying? Thank you.

No, I have a Chromecast and Fire TV for streaming. What I need is something to play files like MP4, AVI, etc. that I have saved on an external hard drive right now.

Chromecast can play those files straight from a NAS. If your looking to just plug your external HD into something and play from there you'd need an android box or something else like that.

Raspberry Pi 3B + OpenElec or LibreElec (i.e., Kodi).

I've been using a RPi 2B + OpenElec for a while and for the most part it's worked very well. The only issue I had was that Kodi's SMB and NFS clients are crap and the RPi doesn't have the guts to overcome this like a PC would. However, it's easy enough to work around. It's not even an issue if you're playing local files, such as those from a HDD attached to the RPI's USB port.

If that's your budget, you won't get good recommendations, you'll get cheap.

Chromecast on the bottom, or maybe WD TV towards the top of that budget.

I'm a huge fan of any Sigma chip based boxes, but they go for more money.

Back