media player you support [audio, video, etc.]

option141

Gawd
i was wondering, which application you guys use to view/listen to media...and which you find best.

are there any out there that are like media player but SIMPLE, more "powerful", and use very little system resources?

Winamp 2.95 for everything, except DVD playback. Nero Showtime for DVDs.

Win:
- Winamp 2.something (Muzic)
- Power DVD (DVDs)
- Zoom Player (Everything else)

Lin:
- XMMS (Muzic)
- Xine (Everything else)

Winamp 2.xx for MP3's
WMP10 for the DRM protected stuff
MPC for everything else

ehh.. i use winamp 5.05 for every thing, and even use it to stream music and video to the other parts of the house... i dont know why so many seem to rag on it so much.. i dont have any trouble with it at all (hours on end use, and even mutiple video strem sessions are no problem... )

thore

mosin said:
Winamp 3.95 for everything, except DVD playback. Nero Showtime for DVDs.

are you f'reals? i definately will try that. what about 5.07 like someone else mentioned?

EDIT: are there any "clean" themes that you've seen for 3.95?

Winamp 2.95 for audio
Media Player Classic for everything else (inc. quicktime, real). I'd say it fits your criteria of simple, powerful. Styled after the old WMP 6.4.

option141 said:
are you f'reals? i definately will try that. what about 5.07 like someone else mentioned?

EDIT: are there any "clean" themes that you've seen for 3.95?
I made a typo. That should have read Winamp 2.95, so I fixed the post. I use a theme from back when I used some Winamp beta version. :D

lomn75 said:
Winamp 2.95 for audio
Media Player Classic for everything else (inc. quicktime, real). I'd say it fits your criteria of simple, powerful. Styled after the old WMP 6.4.

sounds good, i'll be tryin' this stuff out tonight.

themes that work for winamp 5.05 will work for the 2.95....right?

edit: also, i'm reading on winamp 2.95, and i havnt seen anything saying it supports .wma music :confused:

"winamp 5.xx" -- most audio (local and streaming)

"modplug" -- any game-related sound files (such as the "unreal" audio files)

"media player 10" -- video files (plus "quicktime" for it's format)

"power dvd" -- dvd movies

downloaded the MPC....is it just an .exe? no installation required?

is there anyway to uninstall win. media player thats already on windows - it gets annoying when i stream stuff and it pops open.

if all you download was the media player itsself....yes

generally what II do is download the K-Lite Codec pack which comes with media player classic, install that, then download quicktime & real alternatives and install them to the same K-lite directory

as far as uninstalling WMP, youd need paidware like XPLite to do that
earlier versions of WPM can be rolled back to the default WMP that came with your OS install disk, but Im not sure WMP 10 allows that (or its likely is the default in some installs)

For audio: Foobar2000 w/ kernel streaming & etc. settings

For video:
DVD - Cyberlink PowerDVD (came with my DVD drive, works well)
other - Media Player Classic for most, VideoLAN VLC if nothing else plays it.

Media player classic for movies.

Winamp 5 and up. I used to be a hardcore Winamp 2.x fan but I finally made the switch after hearing how they fixed it up since Winamp 3 (what a fucking disaster!!!). Winamp 5 runs fine, guys. Its ok to switch. :) The skins that are included in it are nice, plus a few security holes were patched, I don't know if 2.x was vulnerable, but you never know...

Quicktime and real alternatives are a must. Though I wish both of those formats never existed, they SUCK.

Well I have these right now.

Quicktime 6.52
Real Player 10
Windows Media Player 10
Power DVD 5
Media Player Classic 6.4.8.3 with the K-lite codecs
Winamp 5.08D
Foobar2000 0.8.3

I don't use the Quicktime and Real Alternatives anymore. For some reason, when installing them, it messes with a registry setting that causes Opera and the wmp plugin to embed the old wmp 6.4 instead of the newer wmp. When embedded a m3u playlist with the older wmp, it doesn't work correctly.

I hate the quicktime player interface. It's junk. I do like real player, but it's a resource hog.

I play DVDs in Media Player classic usually, but I'll play them in others sometimes if MPC won't play a dvd right.

Of all of them, I use winamp the most and most file types are associated with it. Foobar does use less resources though.

lol, thats so much just for some media !

its looking like WMPC will work out great, since it has all those codecs i need (quicktime, etc. etc.).

I tried sonique a long time ago back when they first made it. It worked and did what it was supposed to do, but I don't like the funky interface...

MooCow said:
I tried sonique a long time ago back when they first made it. It worked and did what it was supposed to do, but I don't like the funky interface...
Thats the problem most people have with it. Once you get use to it though it's AWESOME!
Please try it again. :p

Winamp for mp3s
Foobar for non-mp3 audio
BSPlayer for everything non-dvd/ogm/mov/ram
Windows Media Player Classic for ogm/mov/ram
PowerDVD for dvds

Music Match Juke Box for music- got the lifetime free upgrades way back when.

Power DVD for DVD watching.

Back