Media player suggestions?

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
I'm not quite sure what's been up with WMP11 but is skips a lot, It's not the songs as they play fine on my mp3 player. That and I never realized how much of a system resource hog it is. On average it is using about 270mb of memory and utilizes between 80% and 90% of the CPU. I never had problems with WMP10, just WMP11. My specs are more than enough to run this so I am confused.

Specs:
A8N-SLI Premium
X2 4200+
2gbs OCZ Platinum
Audigy 2ZS

What media players are you using?

Winamp. Except for about an hour of trimming duplicate songs that I added by accident last night, it suits my needs very well, doesn't use too many system resources (as long as you get a skin without a memory leak...), and looks nice.

I was thinking about them or Core media player.

Here are a couple snapshots I took.

Windows Media Player Open Pic1
WMP11Open1.JPG

Windows Media Player Open Pic2
WMP11Open2.JPG

Windows Media Player Closed Pic1
WMP11Closed.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion :).

For MP3's, Foobar2000 is usually on the top of everyone's list, given that you take the time to set it up correctly. Winamp is another good choice, with some people preferring older versions, such as 2.91, to newer versions. For those with huge libraries that sometimes crash Winamp, MediaMonkey is the choice.

Really though, it's a matter of preference. Try them out and see what you like. If you want more info on setting up Foobar, see this thread for some links.

For videos, most choose either VLC player or Media Player Classic.

I use WinAMP 2.91 for all audio duties, and Media Player Classic 6.4.90 for all video duties.

I have foobar2k installed primarily as a tool for transcoding lossless files I have backed up to whatever format I might need: mp3, wma, aac, ogg, etc. I don't use foobar2k as an audio media player though, it just doesn't work as well as WinAMP does for my purposes.

I think mediamonkey shines at the 150GB+ area. Not sure, I've been using it on and off for a couple of weeks and although I really like it's tagging functions and the varying methods of sorting and playlist function, I think I'm going back to foobar for customization purposes. With some tweaking, foobar can function like mediamonkey. What I really liked about mediamonkey that I can't figure out in foobar is how to sync it with my sansa e250. It was really easy to sync MM with my portable, which was great.

WMP11 is my favorite.

it's usually like 10-20MB memory and maybe 2-3% CPU usage when it's changing songs for like a second. 0% while it's just playing the song.

If you don't mind doing a bit of customization nothing beats foobar2000. However, if you're like me and just want something nice out of the box, give musikCube a try.

For video I use Media Player Classic.

foobar is a pain to customise!!!
can't they have an installer for some of hte customisations?

Update, uninstalled WMP11 and reinstalled it, everything is fine now...

Thanks again all :).

Back