media player options

nicksinif

Limp Gawd
what can one watch avi files with other than windows media player, real, and quicktime.

i used to use BSPlayer, it couldn't play the occasional file(s), so i switched to VLC -- never had a problem :)

I had audio/video sync problems in Media Player Classic. I switched to VLC, perfect so far.

VLC for the win.

BillLeeLee said:
I vote for Media Player Classic with ffdShow filters, or mplayer which I run from the command line.
These are the best choices. Mplayer, once you learn, will work on just about any system even using other operating systems (and, btw, there are GUIs for mplayer and it supports a built-in one, though I think the built-in GUI doesn't work in windows -- yet, it WILL in the next major version coming out soon.) Media Player Classic has the advantage of being a nice simple and clean player implementing all the features that were actually good in Windows Media Player before it turned into a bloated resource hog with flashy skins to please the masses. Mplayer has the advantage of not using DirectShow (builtin decompressors) and extreme efficiency, but, is admittedly a lot less user friendly.

I consider VLC second best because it is STRONGLY optimized towards what it is supposed to be, eg a lan player. However, since all the decoding is built in, it does have the advantage that mplayer has in that it won't have to rely on DirectShow with all its conflicts and problems.

korpse said:
Please don't recommend codec packs. I'd even offer to pay you to not do so if I had anything to pay with (if you pay the shipping costs, I have a few pennies I can send.) The problem is, codec packs cause all sorts of troubles with conflicts and grabbed fourcc codes.

Please, in the future, recommend ffdshow when someone needs a "codec pack." Rather than installing a bunch of seperate codecs, it uses a single 100% configurable library where you can enable or disable any parts as necessary (so far I've only ever had to disable XviD as sometimes newer encodes played on an older XviD decompressor will not run correctly. I think XviD may have fixed this though as I haven't had a problem of this nature in a long time now.) Alternately, if you just hold something against ffdshow, recommend VLC before recommending codec packs.

BTW, I suggest running a search for celtic_druid's builds. He puts up CVS builds for ffdshow and mplayerc all the time, which is good because the authors of those don't do so very often. His most recent ffdshow build includes seperate optimized parts so you can get the best thing for your processor (in particular this might be important to you for H.264 since a high-res H.264 encode is very hard to decode full speed even on modern hardware. At least, for those of us not lucky enough to have those socket 939 opterons that go up to 3.2GHz.)

Back