Media Player 10 Locks (freezes) Up

Grimmda

2[H]4U
I've been all over the web today for 6 hours. And about 6 months ago I searched for days on end. (Also did a search on Windows Media Player 10 here and didn't find this specific problem)

The problem:
Media Player 10 locks up when you open it. I'm not trying to open any files WITH media player, just clicking the icon itself and open Media Player. After a few mins it will "release" and then work, but it takes about a minute and a half for that "lock" or "freeze" to release

Additional information:
I have gotten the latest and greatest Media Player 10 from Microsoft's website today.

If I select "file" and then "work offline" and close Media Player then re-open it the lock up DOES NOT occur.

This PC is on a Proxy'ed network. But you can simulate the problem by just unplugging your PC's network connection, not give it any internet and you'll have the problem too!

I can NOT leave this PC in the "Work offline" mode because that is also the "work offline" mode for Internet Explorer and Outlook! (LAME) I can't use a different media player because it is for a big corporate Windows XP Image. I COULD use Media player 9 which is what I did 6 months ago but I am trying to get back to 10 and I would love to solve the problem rather than admit defeat.

I have tried all the options in the Network tab of Tools to use the same proxy as IE as well as manually typing it in and when you open it it still happens. There's SOMETHING, SOMEWHERE that is trying to hit the web and it just times out. I think maybe it's the "online stores" option but I can't find any settings for this.

I have used gpedit.msc and modified all the networking configuration settings and enabled (to turn off) all of that nonsence and it still happens.

I'm not depending on the [H] folks for a resolution, just giving you a chance to help. Try unplugging your network and see if it does the same thing... that's how you can re-create it. :) Thanks! (FYI Media Player 10 Doesn't seem to prompt for the internet proxy authentication for that initial loading like Media Player 9 does, that's the fishy thing. If you click on "Guide" then it prompts you for the companies Proxy info, you enter it and it shows the web content there but for the life of me I can't figure this out.)

Thanks in advance guys!
Grimmda

Don't all jump in at once guys... WHOA

I had a feeling this would happen. Back to the drawing board!

Back