media monkey vs foobar2000

media monkey or foobar2000

• Total voters

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
mediamonkey shits on foobar2000. Sure, foobar is lightweight has cool plugins, minimalist etc but mediamonkey is the shit when it comes to managing and playing stuff. i just love it.

I tried Media Monkey for a few weeks and I thought it was an over-bloated POS. I just love the minimalist look and plug-in support of foobar2000. The WASPI or ASIO plug-in makes foobar2000 sound better than any other media program that I've tried lately.

spend some time with it. I've been diehard foobar for years, using media monkey on the rare occasion i needed to edit tags. bitstreaming was always a + when i used foobar2000 it, but these days i find myself just wanting to get to my music easier and media monkey does that for me. It's fuller featured and better for navigating. sure its heavier than foobar but the memory use is negligible for today's systems. "POS" how so? did it crash on you. I know what you mean though, i always thought the same -- i mean i would even uninstall it after i was done editing tags.. but i gave it a chance and i can confirm its a winner.

I tied Media Monkey for over a month(along with Songbird). The interface is needlessly clunky(and felt very sluggish too) and while it may have more features, I never needed them. All I care about is playback, and I haven't found anything that beats foobar2000 when properly setup.

I haven't found a single thing foobar can't do, since converting to it full-time last year from Winamp.

The only thing that kept me from switching years earlier was the interface, but ColumnsUI negates any advantage competing software has in that department. foobar2000 + ColumnsUI simply meets and exceeds every need a music lover could have, including file/library management and tagging. I've yet to come across an application with an interface suprior to my CUI setup.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with media monkey, but as others have said, it's bloated and the interface feels clunky. I'll take foobar over it any day.

If foobar doesn't do something you want it to... write a plugin.

Back