Mechwarrior Online

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
Any of you playing it? Weenis and I are founders. Add us!

SeaFoam and Camisado84

Any of you playing it? Weenis and I are founders. Add us!

SeaFoam and Camisado84

Is this out of Beta yet? I will look when I get home just everything games is blocked at work. Either way looks fun and I will be joining in the near future. At least until Borderlands 2 comes out :)

Is this out of Beta yet? I will look when I get home just everything games is blocked at work. Either way looks fun and I will be joining in the near future. At least until Borderlands 2 comes out :)

It's not going to be out of beta for a while. Next up is Open Beta, and the date for that is TBD...

Founder's update today, as soon as the servers come back up, I'll add everyone. There's supposed to be a bunch more features implemented.

I love it, my Atlas is almost maxed on upgrades. I still haven't gotten to play with very many people from here though.

Against MWLL, this seems much more polished already. I haven't played LL for quite a while though, so perhaps I'm mistaken. Plus the community is much larger on this than LL, again, since I played last.

Edit: yeah, MWLL seems dead... looks like 70 max players online total over the last 24 hours.

I love it, my Atlas is almost maxed on upgrades. I still haven't gotten to play with very many people from here though.

Against MWLL, this seems much more polished already. I haven't played LL for quite a while though, so perhaps I'm mistaken. Plus the community is much larger on this than LL, again, since I played last.

Edit: yeah, MWLL seems dead... looks like 70 max players online total over the last 24 hours.

What this guy said. It's amazing!

I do want to play this... Just dont want to spend $70 for a founder package.

So is this game dead or what? My brother talked it up (but he's never played any other mechwarrior games) and I just played 5 straight matches and came away feeling this is a glitchy F2P P2W arcade piece of shit pretending to be a Mechwarrior-type simulator.

The graphics are shit yet the game runs terrible. Matchmaking might be voodoo science but at least when you hit "Play" you usually get 3D graphics and something that looks like a computer game, even if you can't customize almost anything... 8ms ping to Google but I lag and have red meter constantly and others also warp and lag around.... weapons don't even fire straight and seem to have at least 10 miles of convergence... hit detection seems primitive to the point of hilarity and when combined with the lag and incredibly long convergence weapons makes the game basically unplayable. Oh, and the screen flashing during loading and pre-battle (or if you alt-tab) is nearly enough to give you seizures, even if you aren't prone to seizures. Oh and the client memory leaks like a sinking ship and there was someone in one of the games just AFK macro running in a circle to "farm gold" or something. He made the match last an extra 5 minutes.

The forums are active so apparently someone is playing but I have yet to play a single remotely enjoyable round of this game. Anyone else got thoughts? I notice dead thread is dead. Dead game might be dead, too?

No, the game's not dead yet - though it should be.

There are a multitude of problems with it. They can all be generally summarized as mediocre design followed by incompetent software engineering. The experience can vary quite considerably from player to player, especially performance and bugs. I see a lot of threads on their forums about glitches, freezes, crashes, etc. but have had little to no stability or performance issues myself.

To make matters worse the developer/publisher are pushing for-pay items on the players so hard you can't help but feel hustled. Plus the prices are absurdly high (at least in my opinion).

I'm a Founder, and an otherwise obscenely huge Battletech/Mechwarrior fan so it pains me greatly to provide the above criticism. That said, my handle is oliveash so feel free to add me. I will continue playing it until it folds (or turns it around completely) since I was naive enough to pay for a free game.

Funny, I bought the Founder's Pack too but I haven't even fired up the game yet... Kinda still waiting for the whole Community Warfare thing to come online. I love the MW franchise but honestly I was hoping for a new single-player game and not this F2P/pay2win business. Oh well, here's hoping the game makes it out of beta and the finished product comes somewhere close to what the devs promised.

I think it's worthwhile for hopping on for a couple of matches. Last few updates gave a few more customization options. Still a was to go though.

BTW, I'm KuroShogun if anyone happens to see me on there

Funny, I bought the Founder's Pack too but I haven't even fired up the game yet... Kinda still waiting for the whole Community Warfare thing to come online. I love the MW franchise but honestly I was hoping for a new single-player game and not this F2P/pay2win business. Oh well, here's hoping the game makes it out of beta and the finished product comes somewhere close to what the devs promised.

I haven't played in a few months now. Like you, I'm really waiting for Community Warfare. Haven't spent any of my Founder's benefits or activated my premium time, and won't until CW is out (providing it doesn't suck).

started playing last weekend, seems alot better than the earlier vids. Actually fairly playable and fun to do so. (callsigh:cskami)
Working on getting my Atlas -D-DC experience.

this game is absolutly AWESOME in surround view. the cockpit is amazing

Hawken is like the Call of Duty games in a jumping robot. MWO is more of a "robot quasi-simulator". As a long-time player of the MechWarrior series, I prefer MWO much more than the Call of Duty type games that have flooded the market.

I have played a couple hours, I can already tell the grind for C-bills is going to be tedious as fuck. The selection of mechs and maps leaves much to be desired. I was honestly expecting mech and weapon selection along the lines of MW3.

I agree completely that map selection is lacking, but there are more 'Mechs than anyone could really know what to do with at this point. It's not just the top-level list of 'Mechs you have to look at, but the different possible configurations in terms of hardpoints. In some cases, there aren't many variations between each, but that isn't universally true.

At some point you get to the stage where you can completely run the gamut in terms of what's possible to build, and the game's at that stage right now. Introducing more 'Mech models would be mostly cosmetic: it would be difficult to introduce anything that offers possibilities not already available.

I think weapon and mech cost is coloring my view of the game, it will take an average of 100 games just to buy one higher value mech. Then weapons themselves, you can easily spend 5-6 million c-bills out fitting a mech. You can tell they are pushing hero mechs hard with their pricing.

It's a problem inherent to the free-to-play model: spendy players subsidize those who spend little or nothing. As such, "spendy" tends to mean "more than a typical base game price of $50/$60". Players who contribute little/nothing monetarily actually skew in-game item costs upward, assuming those item costs and real money conversion rates aren't fixed. The perk is that the player base is probably larger than it would be otherwise, and that's important when you need 16 (or whatever it is) players to get a match going.

MWO isn't terrible in this regard, though. You can spend $30 and have enough to get a couple good 'Mechs, paint and premium time. Unless you're dead-set on being really serious with it, you probably don't benefit all that much by spending more than $20-$30.

If they have release or are close to releasing some actual worthwhile content (to me) such as more maps, and mechs, I will probably plop down $50 and buy a light/medium and assault mech. Looking at the patch today makes me think that maps, non-paid mechs, and weapons aren't a priority.

The game as it stands is basically a cut down MW3, given that they dont have to worry about single player they need to get their heads out of their asses and start releasing content.

The "trick" to max/min your C-bill amount if you're new to the game is after you've done the first, what, 15 or so missions where you have the C-bill boost. You then buy a nice Hero Mech and a month's worth of premium time (but NOT at normal prices, wait for a sale, PGI's been doing quite a few of these recently). Hero Mech + premium time = lots of C-bills in a short amount of time, even if you are the first to get killed in a match in every single drop. Don't even bother upgrading your Hero Mech until you've earned at least 12 mil.+ C-bills. You will get a better handle on how to play this game and save a buttload of C-bills.

Also, EZ hint: the Spider is still the hardest Mech to kill in this game. Cheap as heck and very very easy to do well with. Just don't stand still! If I was a newbie in MWO, that's the Mech I'd use. Twitchy, fast, and hard to hit. With the right weapons loadout (like, say, an ER PPC), you can quickly make yourself a serious pain in the ass to everyone on the enemy side. You will get lots of assists if you play the Spider right, and assists are probably the easiest way to make C-bills in a match.

Back