Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Thank you very much for the guide. I never appreciated understood the difference before but this helped me find my way to getting a Deck Legend, which I love.

Thank you very much for the guide. I never appreciated understood the difference before but this helped me find my way to getting a Deck Legend, which I love.

No prob

Ahhh you helped me get my Deck Legend from R-T-B at TechpowerUp.
We have the same boards!!!:D

No prob

Ahhh you helped me get my Deck Legend from R-T-B at TechpowerUp.
We have the same boards!!!:D

Wow, I didn't even notice it was you! Haha small world. Well, I guess what goes around comes around. How do you like yours?

It's awesome. Typing on it right now. I signed up there just to buy it.
The boards we have wouldn't last a day on these forums. There are some big spenders here.

Deck and Filco keyboards are the most popular here, along with a few elite HHK/Torpe users.

I'm still waiting on a forum member to buy an Optimus Maximus keyboard.

Haha it's hard enough for me to justify even a $100 keyboard—but for the full NKRO, durability, feel, and backlighting, I can. Going above that ... well I'm just not [H]ard enough I guess. :p Fortunately I've never tried any of those higher end keyboards and ignorance is bliss. God have mercy on my soul should I ever get my hands on one.

Edit to add: do you have any idea how the tactile switches on our boards compare to the Deck's regular linear switches? These are softer than I expected.

I had the Deck Ice 82-Key Linear keyboard a few months back. The Cherry Black switches on that was very stiff and great for gaming. Now that I have the Tactile Deck Legend with Cherry Whites, it still has a stiff feel but after the click they're much softer. It's great for gaming and typing. I prefer the Tactile version over the Linear version.

Very good to know. I will direct a few people who have asked me about Deck's linear vs tactile switches to your post.

Last edited:
When I bought my RF 87U, I said it was going to be the second to last keyboard I'll buy. Well looks like the last board I need to buy finally has a estimated release date :D.

Thanks for the heads up on the MiniGuru, I've been staying away from geekhack so I would've never known.

The MiniGuru looks great. I may consider it as a second board for typing and travel since my Deck is full sized.
Programmable filmware is the biggest selling point of this board. I can use it with any computer and my settings will be recognized.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

OP updated with new boards

The MiniGuru (NEW Q4 2010)
http://www.guru-board.com/
Frame-less Keyboard
Price: TBA
Switch Type: Cherry MX Blue, Brown and Red
QWERTY, DVORAK and COLEMAK Programmable via filmware
Customizable colors, keys and switches

Oh my oh my oh my... Oh my. This adds an entirely different dimension to the proceedings. Looks like I may be waiting a bit longer for my future KB.

Haha, the MiniGuru looks just like a think-pad keyboard with the nipple, and they even took a photo of it on a thinkpad! thats a crackup

Is Red a new type of switchtype? So far only heard of browns, blues and blacks.. and the supreme topre forceswitches. Reds are news to me

Haha, the MiniGuru looks just like a think-pad keyboard with the nipple, and they even took a photo of it on a thinkpad! thats a crackup

Is Red a new type of switchtype? So far only heard of browns, blues and blacks.. and the supreme topre forceswitches. Reds are news to me

Reds are lighter blacks, so Blacks with the spring from Browns from what I hear. They're very rare as only a couple boards use them, and they aren't readily available here in the US.

Read this whole thread, was nice
question
I was one of those that saw the abs for 20bucks and decided to bite. I haven't used the old ibm xt since high school, so i've missed out on mechanicals for a long time. I've been using the ms ergo4000 for almost 5 years now, because it was the best keyboard that helped me get out of carpal tunnel(and i've bought 5since cuz of breakage... etc)

Now i try this abs and while it took a bit of getting used to(muscle memory my wrists are too used to the position of ms ergo4000) I like it, my typing speed is the same and was wondering what would i get if i moved up to the cherry's like everyone here is so crazy about. I know the abs, alps keys are considered horrible for mechanical keys, but hey, for 20bucks they let you into the world of mechanical keyboards. (i mean really who wants to drop 100 on a keyboard)

Don't forget Cherry Clear (or White). :)

"Cherry MX Clear switches have the internal mechanism of MX Browns, but with the spring of MX Blacks. So think of them as stiffer Browns."

Read this whole thread, was nice
question
I was one of those that saw the abs for 20bucks and decided to bite. I haven't used the old ibm xt since high school, so i've missed out on mechanicals for a long time. I've been using the ms ergo4000 for almost 5 years now, because it was the best keyboard that helped me get out of carpal tunnel(and i've bought 5since cuz of breakage... etc)

Now i try this abs and while it took a bit of getting used to(muscle memory my wrists are too used to the position of ms ergo4000) I like it, my typing speed is the same and was wondering what would i get if i moved up to the cherry's like everyone here is so crazy about. I know the abs, alps keys are considered horrible for mechanical keys, but hey, for 20bucks they let you into the world of mechanical keyboards. (i mean really who wants to drop 100 on a keyboard)

You can try a Filco with Cherry Blue switches. One of the best one the market right now. A lot better than the ABS M1.
www.elitekeyboards.com

was wondering what would i get if i moved up to the cherry's like everyone here is so crazy about. I know the abs, alps keys are considered horrible for mechanical keys, but hey, for 20bucks they let you into the world of mechanical keyboards. (i mean really who wants to drop 100 on a keyboard)

What you would get is a more pleasurable typing experience. The main selling point of mechanical switches is really just comfort.

Argh, this is burning me up already... not emotionally but physically... my carpal tunnel is acting up after a few hours on the abs. I've done some research and about the closest there is to an ergonomic mechanical keyboard are those wierd looking kinestic(sp) ones. Northgate Evolution is the closest i can find to being ergo-split with mechanical (has alps). i can create the down slope of the ms ergo4000 with a keyboard tray if i have to (ergotron lx). Any other suggestions for ergo mechical? that won't make me try to find impossible never made again keyboards like the ibm m15?

I know that there are ergonomic keyboards listed in OP by clicking on the overclock.net link. If you scroll down, there are a few ergonomic keyboards available.

I decided to just plunge on the Steelseries 7G. Minus the single-width backspace key I like it. Coming from a Razer Arctosa and other various rubber dome keyboards over the past decade makes this quite an experience. :) I find myself making quite a few typos due to the height/feel of the keys. I'm getting used to it faster than I expected, though.The wrist wrest is very nice and I still get to keep my media control keys.

What ever happened to the mechanical keyboard out from Gigabyte? It was like K8000 something and there was a mouse that was linked to it, the M8000 something.

The Gigabyte was canceled because of manufacturing issues. It's was built very poorly by the manufacture so Gigabyte canceled the board until they can find a better company to make the board for them.

I know that there are ergonomic keyboards listed in OP by clicking on the overclock.net link. If you scroll down, there are a few ergonomic keyboards available.

yea kinda checked those out too, most aren't in the realms of feasability tbh, then your really left with finding a northgate or go with a kinesis. i found a cherry 4100 for 10bucks maybe i'll see how that feels, even though it's ml switches.

Based on this guide, I've been using the Filco, cherry brown for about a month, ordered from Elite Keyboards.

For a touch typist, this keyboard is like sex. I don't have any kind of RSI anymore.

I was tying my robe and the cord hit the keyboard and started typing. I was so shocked and found it so funny that I continued droping the cord onto the keyboard, to type.

That should give some idea of the sensitivity.

I will have to go back to banning myself from drinking water at the computer desk. A nice side table perhaps?

Based on this guide, I've been using the Filco, cherry brown for about a month, ordered from Elite Keyboards.

For a touch typist, this keyboard is like sex. I don't have any kind of RSI anymore.

I was tying my robe and the cord hit the keyboard and started typing. I was so shocked and found it so funny that I continued droping the cord onto the keyboard, to type.

That should give some idea of the sensitivity.

I will have to go back to banning myself from drinking water at the computer desk. A nice side table perhaps?

Or a really, REALLY, long straw.

I don't place any drinks or food on my PC desk at all. I have a separate table on the side in case of a spill.

finally got 2 cherry 4100, wow no joke these keyboards are the same size as my netbook, maybe even 1mm smaller keys. In fact they are smaller, .65 for my netbook and .59 for this cherry keyboard. I got the extra one cuz shipping was 2bucks more, and both of em came w/ the plastic film shroud thing, which was awesome cuz that meant once i peeled both of em off and lysol'd the the entire area it was like a fresh new keyboard.

I think now i'll either get an active ps2/usb adapter and plug both of these in for ghetto spit keyboard, or just play around with the spare cherry4100 and try to see how to split that thing (not easy for me, i barely know how to solder, i'll need to practice with tutorials). but types well, i guess from reading forums ppl are "ok" with these cherry keys, now I wonder how cherry blues feel, man this is gonna suck, i like typing on mechanicals more and more but this feels better than the 20$ abs i got, prolly cuz i didn't have to slam it so hard (whats called gram weight?). will report back for more. I miss the keypad tho, i slapped on a cheap 2 $ num keypad i had laying around. Backspace sucks, surrounded by home/numlock keys i just ripped those off and kinda made the backspace stand out more.

Any recommendations for a cheap cherry blue? i've seen adesso 125/135 thrown around for like under 70.

Any recommendations for a cheap cherry blue? i've seen adesso 125/135 thrown around for like under 70.

Someone in another thread mentioned that they got a Scorpius M10 on eBay for $40. I lucked up and got my Das Ultimate on here for $70, like new.

edit: just checked eBay and the M10 is available for $59.95 Buy It Now (free shipping). I'd jump on that!

Does anybody know where i can find a Das S Silent Keyboard?

If not, im in search for a mechanical, something along the lines of Cherry MX Brown, keyboard that is relatively quieter than clicky keyboards. The keyboard also needs multi-media buttons, which is a necessity for me. I simply cannot find a place that sells the Das S Silent keyboard, sadly. I can only find the Professional version.

Oh, i dont know why i was not able to find that keyboard, LOL.
I was searching on sites like amazon, ebay, google, ect.

Thanks for the link PeanutButter. Do you have any suggestions for any other keyboards i may be interested in or should look into?

i kinda want to buy the scorpius m10 to try out a mechanical keyboard but i've heard really bad reviews on them so im not so sure...

Oh, i dont know why i was not able to find that keyboard, LOL.
I was searching on sites like amazon, ebay, google, ect.

Thanks for the link PeanutButter. Do you have any suggestions for any other keyboards i may be interested in or should look into?

Honestly don't know of any boards with Cherry Browns that have media keys besides the Das Silent. I have a Filco with Cherry Browns myself and I just use 3rvx for volume adjustments. You can try going through the list in the first post to see if any have media keys.

I found out that Das has discontinued the multi-media keys for their keyboards, so there are no keyboards i know of that have Cherry Brown with the media keys. Its a shame though, i really adapted to the ease of media keys.

I guess ill get one of the two, Majestouch Tactile Touch or the Das Silent, and use hotkeys for the media buttons..

I found out that Das has discontinued the multi-media keys for their keyboards, so there are no keyboards i know of that have Cherry Brown with the media keys. Its a shame though, i really adapted to the ease of media keys.

I guess ill get one of the two, Majestouch Tactile Touch or the Das Silent, and use hotkeys for the media buttons..

The new MiniGuru should be a great alternative for people wanting media keys.

Back