Mechanical Keyboard Guide

The Cherry Blue's (used in Das Keyboard, etc) are pretty noisy. You can very clearly hear typing on those from at least another room. Depending on the pace of typing it can definitely distract those who are not used to hearing it.

The Cherry Brown's lack the distinctive CLICK. But are not really terribly loud. They just sound different than regular (cheaper) keyboards out there. But part of this depends on the typist itself. If you type with a soft touch, the keyboards are really not much louder than any regular keyboards out there. If you really hammer the keys, the keyboard can get pretty loud and obnoxious.

If you can get over the noise of the boards, they really are much better keyboards to type on than the POS $3 buck keyboards you get with a PC.

Are there people who can actually type on a cherry brown board without bottoming out the keys? If you could it would be nearly silent (and my hat's off to you).

That'd be a feat in and of itself. The ones who slam down on the keys with the hammer of thor are the ones that make it sound ridiculously loud. If you've gotten used to the board, you can normally get it so you're hitting the keys with exactly the right amount of force and pretty much on your return before you bottom out the key.

I've gotten to the point where most of the time, I'm fairly quiet and typing at a reasonably fast clip. However, If I start typing at full speed with no regard for sound or just trying to rapidly throw something into a page, then it gets pretty loud.

I'm not too fond of the AT101W's myself, but I know some people do like them. I'd say to try looking for something like a Compaq MX-11800 (Cherry brown switches) as a cheap starting point.

I think the cherry browns of the Compaq MX- 11800 would be perfect. It looks kind of big width -wise with the buttons in that formation, but I bet typing on it would be great. Now if only I can find a seller...Right now the only one on eBay is ~$60 shipped :(. I found an ad for one on this one site, but they did not advertise the price or show any pictures. It looks like a place for company's and businesses to post ads for various equipment.

Try putting some non-adhesive liner underneath your keyboard for padding. It made my space key, the noisiest key on my Filco (Cherry brown), much less clunkier. The liner can be bought at Walmart for around $4 somewhere in the kitchen area. I can't seem to maintain light touches, otherwise my hands starts cramping up.

I must say this topic got me interested in those wonderous clicky keyboards as i'm getting tired of my UltraFlat logitech.
I'm mostly interested in ABS M1 (cheap and seems to be very good for gaming while still being one of silent ones).
There's just one small problem I live in EU and can't find even one shop which would ship them to Europe. If someone knows one I'll be greatfull for help.

The only one i can get locally is Steel Series 7g for around 100 euro but that's a bit too much for me for equipment i might find to be not my taste.

The ABS M1 is a great value, but do be warned, it is NOT quiet.

If you're in Europe, you might be better off trying to find some Cherry keyboards. Particularly the G80 series. Cherry has A LOT of models, some of which are using rubber domes, scissor, etc so do some research if you decide to buy Cherry. I personally prefer Cherry MX switches over the ALPS used in the ABS M1.

Would anyone know how much this would be worth these days?

Its an NMB keyboard, mechanical of course, model # rt8256cw+

http://i50.tinypic.com/2lwwrr8.jpg

There's a pic. It's still sealed up inside of the cardboard box.

Currently taking offers if anyone is interested ;)

Last edited:
The ABS M1 is a great value, but do be warned, it is NOT quiet.

If you're in Europe, you might be better off trying to find some Cherry keyboards. Particularly the G80 series. Cherry has A LOT of models, some of which are using rubber domes, scissor, etc so do some research if you decide to buy Cherry. I personally prefer Cherry MX switches over the ALPS used in the ABS M1.
Yeah, gotta agree on the ABS. I'm not sure who thinks the ABS M1 is quiet. It isn't. At all. It may be (slightly) quieter than some other mechanical keyboards, but it is most definitely not quiet. It is comparable to the Dell AT101w (got several of those off ebay dirty cheap).

I'm actually looking at the Filco's for a possible replacement of my ABS. Probably the Tenkeyless Tactile Click "Otaku"

It's kind of moot point at the moment because it's impossible to buy it here anyway.

And they are totally absent from ebay too.

In the end i'll probably finish with bitting the bullet and getting Steelseries as that's the only one i can get without importing. But I'm not yet mentally ready to spend 100 euro on keyboard :D

I splurged and ordered a Filco w/ brown switches last week, just arrived today, and after tonight I don't think I'll ever look back.. This is simply amazing to type on compared to anything else I've ever used. Makes me wonder how they are kept such a secret!

http://www.keyboardco.com/ has a decent selection of mechanical keyboards (Cherry and Filco) and is based in Europe. Might want to give them a look.
Thank you very much for this URL, Sayu!

I'm wondering guys, how good a match is Filco's leather wrist rest together with their keyboards? Don't find any annoying edges digging into your wrists when using it?
Seriously considering getting myself one with the brown switches.

assuming no one answers here, check on geekhack - lots of filco users there.

I'm looking to buy another Deck keyboard soon. I had the 88-Key Deck Ice, now I may what another 88-key Ice or Fire version or I may spring for the Legend. These are hard to find second hand though.

I got a scorpius with blue swtiches at first.

Liked it, but the build quality isn't anywhere near a FILCO

Right now I have a FILCO black switch tenkeyless, looking for a palmrest to match, but it feels very very very very different from the cherry blues.

I want to try Cherry Browns now
(buyers be warned, keyboard collection is addicting!
But due to mechanical keyboard's rarity, they tend to maintain their high price value unlike other computer hardware)

Althought I don't have one yet, I'd recommend an ABS M1 to someone who games, over the Scorpius M10 as the first Mechanical Keyboard!

...I may spring for the Legend. These are hard to find second hand though.

Built like tanks + people love them = no one getting rid of old ones. :)

I have a "Toxic" Legend right now, got it back when they only made them with the Cherry Blacks that don't "click" until you bottom them out. I love the board, but I wish they'd had the Cherry Clears they have in a couple legend models now when I bought mine. I think I really do prefer that tactile "click" over the linears. Maybe I will buy another and bring one to work. :D But yeah, it is hard to justify the $$, (especially when you already have one) but if you don't have one yet I would say get some kind of mechanical! Having a nice keyboard is not a waste for interfacing with a machine you spend hours at every day.

Btw, what's up with Deck's site now? It used to be cool with a black background and artsy marketing style. Now its...bland, to put it nicely. When did that change?

Thank you very much for this URL, Sayu!

I'm wondering guys, how good a match is Filco's leather wrist rest together with their keyboards? Don't find any annoying edges digging into your wrists when using it?
Seriously considering getting myself one with the brown switches.

Perfect match. I love mine and couldn't imagine using my Filco without it.

Built like tanks + people love them = no one getting rid of old ones. :)

I have a "Toxic" Legend right now, got it back when they only made them with the Cherry Blacks that don't "click" until you bottom them out. I love the board, but I wish they'd had the Cherry Clears they have in a couple legend models now when I bought mine. I think I really do prefer that tactile "click" over the linears. Maybe I will buy another and bring one to work. :D But yeah, it is hard to justify the $$, (especially when you already have one) but if you don't have one yet I would say get some kind of mechanical! Having a nice keyboard is not a waste for interfacing with a machine you spend hours at every day.

Btw, what's up with Deck's site now? It used to be cool with a black background and artsy marketing style. Now its...bland, to put it nicely. When did that change?

Their forums still have the cool black background. The Deck Ice with black switches was excellent for gaming but typing was not that great. The keys felt bouncy due to the resistance of the switches. Now, I'm considering the Legend with blue or white switches, but I wouldn't mind another one with black switches. Too bad Deck doesn't use brown switches.

Their forums still have the cool black background. The Deck Ice with black switches was excellent for gaming but typing was not that great. The keys felt bouncy due to the resistance of the switches. Now, I'm considering the Legend with blue or white switches, but I wouldn't mind another one with black switches. Too bad Deck doesn't use brown switches.

Loving my Filco w/Brown switches! They feel nice and are pretty quiet compared to my Das Keyboard with Cherry Blues, but I'd still like to try the Clear and White switches (mechanical keyboards can easily spark curiosity and/or addiction!). Just not sure about the blacks since I do like to feel the actuation point, and after that comment about them being "bouncy" makes me glad I went tactile for both of my mechanicals. I know a lot of people like them, though.

Honestly, the only purpose for Cherry MX Blacks are for gaming which is exactly why I got mine. If you are looking at a board for just typing, it isn't the way to go and not worth consideration. MX Brown are probably the best of both worlds in regards to typing and gaming, so you are probably set. Clears should be nearly identical to the Blues of your Das - just slightly more resistance on the keys. (I think it's something like 55g vs 50g)

Thanks Vittra. I'd like to try the blacks because I've never used a linear mechanical switch, but these keyboards aren't cheap and I'd rather try one at a friend's than spend $120+ just to satisfy my curiosity. I do a moderate amount of gaming, and to be honest I think the browns and blues are excellent because of the clearly-defined actuation point; i.e. I always know when the key is going to respond. I find myself sometimes "preloading" the keys where I'll depress them to the point of actuation so I know I'm on the verge of the key registering a stroke. The blues are extremely satisfying to type on, but sometimes the noise can get bothersome (esp. for late-night gaming sessions). The browns are excellent and are what I've been using lately, but since they require less pressure to activate than some other switches I can see why they might not be ideal for heavy-handed gamers that could find themselves accidentally pressing keys.

I would love to try a Topre Realforce board since I hear the Topre switches are really pleasant to type on, and quieter than many mechanical boards. But they are among the most expensive, and since the switch design incorporates a rubber dome I'm worried that the longevity wouldn't be as good as with a pure mechanical design.

Maybe one of these days I'll see a SteelSeries 7G so I can try the Cherry blacks. I am the only one I know that is willing to pay the premium for a mechanical board, so I'll just have to hope that I see one in a store or something. :(

I think people misunderstand how the Cherry MX Black switches feel. They are linear and non-tactile, but you do know when they are going to respond. The Cherry MX Black switches have virtually no resistance and bottom out rather easily. I've never "short-stroked" a key press. For anyone worried about that being a problem, don't.

However, I do prefer the Cherry MX Blue switches as they are very similar in feel to the IBM Model M keyboards.

I think people misunderstand how the Cherry MX Black switches feel. They are linear and non-tactile, but you do know when they are going to respond. The Cherry MX Black switches have virtually no resistance and bottom out rather easily. I've never "short-stroked" a key press. For anyone worried about that being a problem, don't.

However, I do prefer the Cherry MX Blue switches as they are very similar in feel to the IBM Model M keyboards.

The blacks definitely have resistance all the way down, and it is quite a bit more than any of the other ones. I don't mind my filco with cherry blacks, but I do wish they were about 10-15g lighter resistance. But you do get used to them.

Cherry MX Black (linear) - 40-80g, 60g at activation point
Cherry (MX Blue) - 50g
Cherry (MX Brown) - 45g
Cherry (MX Clear) - 55g
ALPS White (simplified) - 60-70g (filco zero uses these)

I'd love a keyboard with the back lighting that Deck uses with Cherry MX Blue switches. Hell I'd love for Deck to make one. While not the most popular keyboard maker on the forum, I've been VERY pleased with mine.

The blacks definitely have resistance all the way down, and it is quite a bit more than any of the other ones. I don't mind my filco with cherry blacks, but I do wish they were about 10-15g lighter resistance. But you do get used to them.

Cherry MX Black (linear) - 40-80g, 60g at activation point
Cherry (MX Blue) - 50g
Cherry (MX Brown) - 45g
Cherry (MX Clear) - 55g
ALPS White (simplified) - 60-70g (filco zero uses these)

Cherry MX Red are linear switches with less resistance than black (45g like the Browns). I think the only keyboard manufacturer to have used them was "Cherry" on some of their G80 line of models though. I would really like to try one of those, but don't want to go through the nonsense of trying to find one.

Deck does make Cherry Blues with backlighting or are you talking about something else?

They do not. They make keyboards with the Cherry MX Black and Cherry MX Brown switches. The Cherry MX Blues are the tactile, clicky kind similar to the IBM buckling spring switches in terms of feel and sound. They do not make any like that. They have linear, non-tactile, non-clicky, and tactile, non-clicky.

If Deck ever makes a keyboard with the Cherry MX Blue switches I'll be one of the first to buy one.

I don't think Deck is currently making Cherry Brown boards. As far as their site indicates, they should still be Cherry MX Clear on the tactile side. Geekhack's wiki seems to be updated and still reflects this as well.

Deck really should just plainly indicate which using at any point in time. :)

Deck changes there tactile switches from time to time, so they don't state all the versions they have made.

Going to place an order this weekend with Keyboardco.com now that they've got leather Filco wristrests back in stock.

Problem is, I'm really torn between what switch to chose!
I was heavily leaning towards getting Cherry Brown's but was concerned that the keys would be too light to the touch. As a comparison, do they go down easier than generic rubber dome switches found in cheap keyboards?

Black's: best for gaming (I am a gamer but it's not the only serious use I have for my computer) but are they really as unsuitable for typing on as some sources have suggested?

Blue's: seem to be very popular but I really don't know what to think of them, worried a little about noise

Thanks for help.

Going to place an order this weekend with Keyboardco.com now that they've got leather Filco wristrests back in stock.

I was heavily leaning towards getting Cherry Brown's but was concerned that the keys would be too light to the touch. As a comparison, do they go down easier than generic rubber dome switches found in cheap keyboards?

Yes they do depress easier than the membrane/rubber dome based keys.

Black's: best for gaming (I am a gamer but it's not the only serious use I have for my computer) but are they really as unsuitable for typing on as some sources have suggested?

Horseshit. They are excellent to type on. Vastly superior to any membrane keyboard I've ever tried. These types of switches are used in POS systems and were used in an IBM model of keyboard that predated the Model M. It was an 84 key, keyboard. I rather enjoy typing on it. Though I do prefer the IBM Model M, or anything with Cherry MX Blue switches in them over one equipped with Cherry MX Black switches. My current keyboard is equipped with the Cherry MX Black's. It has been quite enjoyable to type on for the last two years.

A friend of mine sat down on my computer to check his E-Mail one day. He had never used a mechanical keyboard before, much less understand why I paid $150 for the Deck I have now. Once he typed on it he understood the reason immediately. Now he wants one.

Blue's: seem to be very popular but I really don't know what to think of them, worried a little about noise

The noise bothers some people but It doesn't bother me. It may bother others, but I don't care. It isn't as if I've got people listening to me type all the time.

Thanks for help.

Anytime. :)

Horseshit. They are excellent to type on. Vastly superior to any membrane keyboard I've ever tried. These types of switches are used in POS systems and were used in an IBM model of keyboard that predated the Model M. It was an 84 key, keyboard. I rather enjoy typing on it. Though I do prefer the IBM Model M, or anything with Cherry MX Blue switches in them over one equipped with Cherry MX Black switches. My current keyboard is equipped with the Cherry MX Black's. It has been quite enjoyable to type on for the last two years.

When I had my Deck with black switches, it was my first mechanical keyboard. Gaming was perfect, but when I used it for typing the keys were going faster than my fingers, since you don't have to bottom out the keys like on a membrane keyboard. The Deck increased my typing speed and kept me from making fat finger key presses because of the black switches. I guess since I was used to typing on $5 keyboards that I want less resistance, but thinking back on it, the black switches were the best for a slower typer and gamer like myself.

Thanks for help.

Having used just about all of the major switch types, in my opinion the blacks are not the greatest switches for gaming or typing. I personally just don't like the feel of it. Don't get me wrong, it is still leagues better than membrane boards, but it's got some stiff competition in the mechanical market. For a board that will be used for both gaming and typing, I would go with the browns.

Note: I do have a preference for lighter switches, so if you like to pound keys and don't wish to change your style, browns may not be for you.

Having used just about all of the major switch types, in my opinion the blacks are not the greatest switches for gaming or typing. I personally just don't like the feel of it. Don't get me wrong, it is still leagues better than membrane boards, but it's got some stiff competition in the mechanical market. For a board that will be used for both gaming and typing, I would go with the browns.

Note: I do have a preference for lighter switches, so if you like to pound keys and don't wish to change your style, browns may not be for you.

Well I like the feel of the Cherry MX Blacks well enough or I wouldn't have had my Deck Ice Legend for two years now. As far as mechanical key switches, the Cherry MX Blues are where its at as far as I am concerned. That's always been my favorite type of key switch. I currently own a few keyboards with switches that are similar to the Cherry MX Browns, and again while they beat out the membrane keyboards, I just don't like the feel of them. I want the "click" in the tactile feedback from the key switch, not the "bump". If I can't have that then I'd rather have the linear and non-tactile feeling keys.

Man I am really tempted to buy a DAS keyboard now

I have had the same thought off and on since the Das Keyboard Professional was released. And funny you should mention that because I picked one up at Microcenter just a few hours ago and I'm now typing this post on it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys, I threw myself in the deep-end and just ordered a full-size Filco with the brown switches + wrist rest.
Will report back with my findings come next week!

Back