Mechanical keyboard c/w DC adapter, good or bad?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I bought the Tesoro Sword of Victory. There is 2 x USB port on the keyboard

http://www.tesorotec.com/gaming-key...minum-backlit-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

when I connect a flash drive to the port, it says it exceed hub voltage. So I call Tesoro, and they said I need a DC charger.

This is the 1st time I've seen a keyboard that needs a DC charger. Will this cause some problem to the keyboard in long run? Because I paid $180 for this keyboard. What would you do?

As long as you get the charger that they say to get, then it should be perfectly fine to use. If there is a problem while it's still under warranty, then it'll be covered if the company is worth a damn. Make damned sure to get the charger they say to get.

I'll definitely buy their charger. The warranty is 1 yr. Do you see any long term damage or wear/tear of a keyboard that is plug to a DC charger?

And come to think of this, Enermax has a keyboard that c/w a USB port

126786.jpg

I don't see Enermax require a DC charger

Based on the pictures, those are some very bright lights on the keyboard, and they are very likely maxing out the computer's USB power output. Putting in the flash drive likely overloaded the USB port.

There should be theoretically no damage to the keyboard by using a charger, provided the charger has the correct specs and the internal components are designed properly. It is basically the same principle behind powered USB hubs.

My Max Durandal keyboard has no problems running the keyboard LEDs, a flash drive, and the wireless adapter for my G700 off of one USB port. However, the keyboard did come with warnings not to plug in anything that demands over 100 ma, and to not use it to charge anything.

I have a CM Storm trigger with the brown switches. Has that dc port as well. I am surprised that a flash drive would cause that voltage issue. Do you have it connected directly to your motherboard or is it plugged into something else along the way?

I have a CM Storm trigger with the brown switches. Has that dc port as well. I am surprised that a flash drive would cause that voltage issue. Do you have it connected directly to your motherboard or is it plugged into something else along the way?

Your keyboard is not backlit.

The OP's keyboard, in addition to being fully backlit (1 LED per button), has additional lighting for extra switches, and ambient lighting on the sides of the keyboard.

Your keyboard is not backlit.

The OP's keyboard, in addition to being fully backlit (1 LED per button), has additional lighting for extra switches, and ambient lighting on the sides of the keyboard.

The CMStorm Trigger is a backlit board; the DC connector is required for the brightest lighting setting, iirc.

The CMStorm Trigger is a backlit board; the DC connector is required for the brightest lighting setting, iirc.

Huh, yeah, you are right. However, it's only keys lit, it doesn't have the ambient lighting the OP's keyboard has.

Huh, yeah, you are right. However, it's only keys lit, it doesn't have the ambient lighting the OP's keyboard has.

What ambient lighting? If you're referring to the underglow in the key clusters, that is a side effect of light bleeding off of the LEDs on the individual switches. One reason it is so much more visible on the Duarndal than the CMStorm is because of the color of the LEDs, but photo quality/lighting and the LED brightness (and setting)/quality will also play an effect, as well as the color of the back-plate.

I notice the Durandal has a handful more LEDs, but that wouldn't be enough to make a notable difference between the boards; if I had to guess, plugging a DC adapter into it would also allow for a brighter LED setting as well. IIRC, both boards are manufactured by the same company; that doesn't mean they definitely use the same hardware, but I'll bet they didn't special order higher quality/special LEDs for either (most likely inexpensive chinese LEDs).

The OP's keyboard is not the Durandal, it's the Colada. My keyboard is the Durandal.

Colada-G3NL-USB-920.jpg

The OP's keyboard is not the Durandal, it's the Colada. My keyboard is the Durandal.

Colada-G3NL-USB-920.jpg

I see what you mean now, my mistake. It was kind of easy to miss because it doesn't stand out on the product page.

I can turn off the key light, but it doesn't turn off the side light. The truth is, the side light is just for looks.

The other problem is, when I turn off the key light, 5 sec. later, it turn itself back on

Back