- Joined
- Jan 11, 2002
- Messages
- 442
Hi folks,
Got a question for all the Linux storage gurus here: I currently have a home media server setup with the following hardware specs:
MSI P45 motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2 RAM
2x 250GB WD HDD in RAID1 via LVM (boot/swap etc)
8x2TB Hitachi HDD in RAID5 via mdadm (media/data)
The server mainly serves files for HTPCs around the house and runs a few VMs with VMWare server. I have recently picked up the following hardware which Im thinking about upgrading to:
Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme motherboard
Intel i7 920
12GB DDR3 RAM
My main concern is will I be able to just swap the driving into the new system and everything can just pick up where it left off? More specifically, will mdadm be able to detect the 8x2TB drives attached to the new hardware and re-assemble the array?
My buddy that helped me set this system up isnt sure so I figured I ask here first, the boards do have the same ICH10R southbridge providing 6 of the SATA ports and 2 more will be run off of the extra controller onboard. I dont have a lot of Linux experience switching out core parts but in Windows Ive had great success moving things between various Intel chipsets and architectures from P965 -> P35 -> P45 -> H55 -> X58.
Any insight or advice on how to proceed with the move or precautions would be appreciated!
Got a question for all the Linux storage gurus here: I currently have a home media server setup with the following hardware specs:
MSI P45 motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2 RAM
2x 250GB WD HDD in RAID1 via LVM (boot/swap etc)
8x2TB Hitachi HDD in RAID5 via mdadm (media/data)
The server mainly serves files for HTPCs around the house and runs a few VMs with VMWare server. I have recently picked up the following hardware which Im thinking about upgrading to:
Gigabyte EX-58-Extreme motherboard
Intel i7 920
12GB DDR3 RAM
My main concern is will I be able to just swap the driving into the new system and everything can just pick up where it left off? More specifically, will mdadm be able to detect the 8x2TB drives attached to the new hardware and re-assemble the array?
My buddy that helped me set this system up isnt sure so I figured I ask here first, the boards do have the same ICH10R southbridge providing 6 of the SATA ports and 2 more will be run off of the extra controller onboard. I dont have a lot of Linux experience switching out core parts but in Windows Ive had great success moving things between various Intel chipsets and architectures from P965 -> P35 -> P45 -> H55 -> X58.
Any insight or advice on how to proceed with the move or precautions would be appreciated!