MD1000 Noise Level?

Phog

Limp Gawd
I haven't been able to find any good information on how loud the Dell MD1000 JBOD unit is. Any of you out there have one? I know most of my Dell R series servers are surprisingly quiet, hopefully it falls in that category.

I know it's not a lot of help, but we've got a pair of MD1200s at work which aren't any louder than the R720s they're connected to. At least the current generation's pretty quiet.

Anyone else with an MD1000 chime in on this? I want to pick one up but am hoping its not wind tunnel loud. I saw another thread with someone wanting to swap the fans but they never did.

I put this in another thread, but to answer the OP question...

an empty MD1000 chassis just plugged into the wall after the fans are allowed to die down pulls 70 watts (measured with a Kill-a-Watt) and is about 58dB with it just sitting on the floor and the RadioShack sound meter around a foot above it set to C weighting slow.

I can confirm that older MD1000s aren't too bad. Nothing you want to sit next to all day probably, but no worse than the attached servers most likely.

The 1000's were pretty loud when you loaded them down. Loud enough to merit server room banishment. I don't run any now, only 1200's and 1220's, but even those are loud and I would not want to sit with them all day.

Back