MCW60 Question

Headpunter

Limp Gawd
ok so i dont want to pay $100+ for a full cover block that i will have to discard when i upgrade my computer so i am looking at doing individual blocks and was told this is the best GPU block. i am going to build the loop with 7/16" masterkleer and was wondering if the barbs on these blocks are trustworthy. or if you can switch them out for DD barbs since they look like they are plastic

all my barbs except 2 are plastic.. there's nothign wrong with plastic barbs if you're using 7/16" tubing.

I have that block as well as all other swiftech stuff and they all come with plastic barbs.

chrome Brass just looks better and are shorter

Plastic barbs are a pain in the ass to separate from tubing once it's on. I can't speak for the smaller size tubing but for 1/2 it's a bitch.

I went to chrome fittings and life is great. no leaks no fuss.

one thing to note is if you have a high end graphics card and you end up getting the ram kit that is optional for the mcw60, i would recommend a slot cooler OR just some kind of fan to circulate air through the ramsinks.

I have just changed my Swiftech 7/16" plastic kit out for a 10/8mm with clamp barbs...

Oh how much nicer the clamp barbs are to work with. Push pipe onto small lip & do up outer clamp, job done. No fiddly trying to squeeze the pipe over the plastic barb with risk of breaking it.

It is possible to replace the plastic barb with metal ones and I would reccomend doing so. The problem comes in that Swiftech were using an American thread on their stuff but you can get a normal G1/4" to fit just double and tripple check it is air and water tight before trusting it.

If you're going with MCW60 which I have. DO NOT BUY SWIFTECH ram sinks.. they come with POS adheasive 2mils thick and have contact ratio of about 1%..(exagerated a little)

I believe petra or jab-tech sell Enzio which come with 3m 15mil adheasive. which would be 100% or more better.

And you need a fan... the mosfets and rams get reallllly hot..
I'm considering selling my MCW60 and getting a full face cooler

DO NOT BUY SWIFTECH ram sinks.. they come with POS adheasive 2mils thick and have contact ratio of about 1%..(exagerated a little)

I cleaned my ram real well and applied Swiftech ram sinks only to find one at the bottom of my case one day. Fortunately it was the lower Video Card in my SLI rig so I'm pulling them off and going with a pair of D-Tek Uni-Sinks

To use this solution you will need the Swiftech G80 adapter for the MCW60 to mount on your 8800GT... I have older MCW60 which needed the adapter but I think that the newer retail versions may have the adapter installed.

I cleaned my ram real well and applied Swiftech ram sinks only to find one at the bottom of my case one day. Fortunately it was the lower Video Card in my SLI rig so I'm pulling them off and going with a pair of D-Tek Uni-Sinks

To use this solution you will need the Swiftech G80 adapter for the MCW60 to mount on your 8800GT... I have older MCW60 which needed the adapter but I think that the newer retail versions may have the adapter installed.

Same here.. couple of days ago my computer kept crashing.. found that 2 of my ram sinks were hannging off by threads.. litterally..

it's cheaper here

http://www.jab-tech.com/D-Tek-UNI-Sink-nVidia-8800-GT-GTS-G92-512MB-pr-4147.html

i've had good experience with them.

i read a few reviews on the Dtek-uni sinks. none of them were good. I suggest going with either cheaper option of running individual ram sinks and mosfet sinks or running a full face cooler

You don't need the g80 adpater for a g92 card

Headhunter,

I thought of that too. but here's the problem. MCW60 will bend your card no matter how careful you are with screws,in order to put enough pressure against the GPU,

1. if that heatsink is perfectly flat. then you'll run in to contact poblems.
2. mosfets are not perfectly even surface, youll need at leats 15mil think thermal interface tape much like the ones that come with stock cooler.
I used these http://www.petrastechshop.com/enmomohekit.html. 1 for evey mosfet chip.

Just make sure that heatsink comes with a decent thickness thermal tape.

You don't need the g80 adpater for a g92 card

I think you do for his application. to just use the MCW60 you dno't but to combine it with the D-tech unisink you do. from the pictures unisink sits on top of the 4 GPU block mounting screw holes. Either you have to cut the unisink or use the G80 adapter. I could be wrong.

Back