MCW60 doesn't fit HD5870

DangerIsGo

2[H]4U
I just got a 5870 (from a free RMA upgrade from a 4870x2 by Power Color :) )

Unfortunately, when I took off the heatsink, cleaned off the stock thermal compound, and tried to fit the block, there is probably 1mm of space between the core and the block. What gives? I see all these sites showing an MCW60 on a 5870 with no issues yet I don't know how they do it. I have the G80 plate which doesn't fit at all and some other one which definitely doesn't fit. What should I do? Thanks.

EDIT: It's a AX5870 1GBD5-PPDHG. I read on BenchmarkReviews that it looks to be a second generation 5870. With that, doesn't look like the MCW60 will fit the second generation cards unless someone can say otherwise.

EDIT 2:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=504&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=4

You can see here its a completely different component layout, RAM included.

Last edited:
That sucks dude. Is the block resting on something that's keeping it from making contact? I've got an original xfx 5870 with a v1 mcw-60 on it and while the old mounting hardware made attaching it a challenge, i don't have any issues with core contact and I get really good temps.

All the newer mcw-60's have the raised part on the block still right? Like if the copper part is facing you there's about a 1in square that's a little taller than the rest right? There any spacers or anything that you can take out to lower it?

Nope, the block's 4 posts are perfectly aligned with the screw holes in the PCB and flush against it. The only thing I could do is shave 1-2mm off the posts but I really don't want to do that in case I have to use the bracket again.

Yes, it has that raised center square like all the other MCW60s. If I try to raise the bracket with the G80 bracket that I have or some washers between the screw heads and the bracket (on the barbs side), the screws aren't long enough. I mean technically I guess I could try to find screws in Lowes or HD that match the threading but are just a tad longer, but I doubt it.

Well I have found a lot of times that the screws that are on PC components are rarely at HD or Lowes.

Nope, the block's 4 posts are perfectly aligned with the screw holes in the PCB and flush against it. The only thing I could do is shave 1-2mm off the posts but I really don't want to do that in case I have to use the bracket again.

Yes, it has that raised center square like all the other MCW60s. If I try to raise the bracket with the G80 bracket that I have or some washers between the screw heads and the bracket (on the barbs side), the screws aren't long enough. I mean technically I guess I could try to find screws in Lowes or HD that match the threading but are just a tad longer, but I doubt it.

So you've got a newer mcw-60 that has the plate with the posts where the screws screw into fixed on the bottom side? And those posts, when flush against the pcb, leave a gap between the block and the gpu core right?

If that's the case i think you can either file them, or ask swiftech if they have any ideas or if you're SOL.

So here are some pics:

The spare brackets I have for the MCW60
dsc1661u.jpg

You can see the posts and the holes line up
dsc1635q.jpg

A closer pic
dsc1632j.jpg

Now, here's the best pic I could get of the spacing between the block and the core:
dsc1650r.jpg

Last edited:
So my friend suggested to use washers and place them in between the bracket and the acetel. I used one washer (of 4 I found) on each hex screw between bracket and the acetel and it works great. I can't tighten the back plate screws all the way other wise I would bend the PCB, but other than that, it works.

You need to resize those pictures. Way too big. What are you on a 30"? Heck 3000x2000 pictures even exceeds a 30" monitor's rez. No offense but use some common sense when posting pics in the forums please. Just saying.

Anyways glad you got it to work. Washers really do the trick for a lot of things surprisingly enough.

Last edited:
I knew they were big before posting, I wanted to get as much detail as possible. Oh well, they're resized now.

glad to hear you got it going without too much trouble, enjoy the low temps and less noise!

Back