MCSE with only OJT?

Frozen8950

Limp Gawd
Has anyone attempted to take the MCSE 2k or 2k3 exams on job experiance alone?

I work for a company that has a lot of clients and we mainly work with small to medium sized businesses. We do a lot of network design, setup, and maintance.

I was reading over some CBT courses for the MCSE and i just get the feeling that I know a lot of this already.

Has anyone passed any of the MCSE tests with mostly on the job training or has everyone pretty much hit the books first?

Frozen8950 said:
Has anyone attempted to take the MCSE 2k or 2k3 exams on job experiance alone?

I work for a company that has a lot of clients and we mainly work with small to medium sized businesses. We do a lot of network design, setup, and maintance.

I was reading over some CBT courses for the MCSE and i just get the feeling that I know a lot of this already.

Has anyone passed any of the MCSE tests with mostly on the job training or has everyone pretty much hit the books first?

Most likely you'll need to brush up with reading some MCSE books since answering a few of the questions hinges on the "Microsoft way" of doing things.

Real world experience is one thing while passing tests is largely based on the material presented in the books.

I suggest you try some MSCE test exams that come with a few of the books to gauge how well you may fair.

the funny thing is....
the MCSE was designed that only seasoned IT folks should be taking the tests...
NOT snot nosed kiddies with their noobie smiles and a dull hope in their eyes
albiet... with little or no OJT :D

uh oh... sarcasm.. guess I've been hanging on slashdot too much in the past month.. :p

go for it... I did it with little prep
although years as a CNE I guess counts? or not...

I work with a 2003 AD everyday, passed all the MS tests with about 45mins of studying/each at a book store.
The books help you regurgitate the 'MS Answer', working with an actual domain lets you know how to actually get it done and deduce the MS Answer from the possible choices.

MS is currently offering a 'fail once, take it again' for most of their core tests. Go study alittle bit, take one and see how well you do. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndshot/

ambit said:
I work with a 2003 AD everyday, passed all the MS tests with about 45mins of studying/each at a book store.
The books help you regurgitate the 'MS Answer', working with an actual domain lets you know how to actually get it done and deduce the MS Answer from the possible choices.

MS is currently offering a 'fail once, take it again' for most of their core tests. Go study alittle bit, take one and see how well you do. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/2ndshot/

This is the key, you have to know the MS answer, not necessarily an answer that works and is right and fits. I've got a few MCPs (from the NT days) and its annoying when you are asked questions with all right answers listed. Its the answer MS wants you to give though. It is after all their stuff. I remember being very pissed that knowing the stuff wasn't enough, you had to know the test tricks. I only failed one of them and it was by one question. Went back and got it the next time.

Back