MCSA on Windows Server 2003

shyne

n00b
Does anyone have their MCSA on Windows Server 2003? If so would you mind suggesting some books to pick up to study with? The Amazon reviews seem to be mixed for just about every book so I figure I would ask you guys :)

The MS Press books. Amazon typically has used sets that fine and may have highlighting from someone with good study habits.

shyne said:
Does anyone have their MCSA on Windows Server 2003? If so would you mind suggesting some books to pick up to study with? The Amazon reviews seem to be mixed for just about every book so I figure I would ask you guys :)

It depends how much you know. That's why the reviews are mixed.

If you know nothing about the subjects, you will want to get the MS Press books as they have labs for you to do. If you are an experienced user, you'll want something that gives more a summary approach.

I just passed the 70-270 test by using the Exam Cram #2 book. It was a very good book, but I wouldn't have passed without the hands on work I did. I learn better when I can dive in and do it myself though.

I would use more than two books (for instance a full on Sybex or MS press study guide, and an examcram/fastpass type book). Just to make sure you don't miss anything.

I'm planning on getting the MCSAXP/03 in the next month or so, most of my hands on server experience is with 2000AS, and from what I've seen 2003 isn't much different, winxp is probably the client OS I'm most familiar with, so that's not a big deal.

What is slightly alarming though, based on a quick scan is that of the three 70-270 books I've got, the only one that doesn't mention the USMT at all is the MSPress one, I know it's a relatively minor omission, but one would sort of expect MSs own book on the certification to be the most comprehensive, and it doesn't necessarily fill me with confidence.

Although I guess there's a reason Sybexs "Mastering..." series sells better than MSs own Admin companions.

Also, if you aren't already aware of it, sign up for MS "second shot" program, it gives you a free retake of any mcp exams you fail, but only within a set time period.

MartinX said:
I'm planning on getting the MCSAXP/03 in the next month or so, most of my hands on server experience is with 2000AS, and from what I've seen 2003 isn't much different, winxp is probably the client OS I'm most familiar with, so that's not a big deal.
Also, if you aren't already aware of it, sign up for MS "second shot" program, it gives you a free retake of any mcp exams you fail, but only within a set time period.

Having recently taken a 2003 server exam, I missed by a couple points, but the questions are mainly geared towards the new features and technologies. Although a solid understand of Windows 2000 will help, you need to make sure you know 2003 features inside and out as well.

BTW the 2nd shot offer expires at the end of this month.

Back