MCP655 dieing syntoms?

ziggo0

Black Mesa Download Gawd
I've had the same MCP655 since a64 first came out...been running pretty much 24/7 since then, mathematically MTBF is 50,000 hours or 5 years, it's been 6 going on 7 years lol. I've noticed in the past 6 months the pump has been getting louder, it hums now, turns off and on reliably though. Has a high pitch whine to it now, kinda like an old TV - most people can't hear the tone but me and my wife can and it's irritating, causing headaches. I can turn it down to the number 2 setting and the whine goes away as well as the vibration. You guys think it's time to get a new pump? I haven't maintained the loop in 2 years or so...coolant looks fine, blocks/rads were cleaned well before install. Suggestions/comments?

Why take chances if it is acting up, I would replace it as it is a major part of your pc's cooling system that cannot fail. I think for 80 bucks its worth the peace of mind.

I also have 2 that has been running for over 6 years now both on setting 3, but their only on 12/6 not 24/7.

Ha, I've been running my 655 for the last 5.5 years too. Good to know that they're still making this beast of a pump and the price hasn't changed much!

My pump's been around for roughly 6 years. Had it 24/7 for about 5 years. No symptoms yet but I'm prepared for the worst.

I think mines going on 6or 7 years too, but I have not noticed any humming yet! Course I wrapped mine in closed call foam so I would not be able to hear it. I wonder if humming is an indicator that its on it's way out, or maybe it just needs to be cleaned?

My canister fish tank filters are just as old.

Oh edit I have the dabger den version though.

Last edited:
Back