MCE video quality

jcmuse

Limp Gawd
i'm using 64bit home premium windows 7 mce and the video quality seems a bit off. I'm using geforce 9200 chipset integrated video, hdmi out @ native res of TV. it just doesn't seem like the quality is all that great compared to my ps3. Could it just be MCE or maybe my video card sucks?

what are you trying to play back? if its OTA cable tv, well its only as good as the signal, if its blu rays.. well, there isnt much of a fix for it, i cant honestly say if a new set of codecs helps becuase there is no way to tell if they are loaded, some people say installing d-scaler has helped them.. where as i see no difference at all. if your talking about dvds about the only thing mediacenter dose well is image scaling.

yeah dvds just don't look as crisp as i'd like. i guess ill have to do a side-by-side with mpc or something.

try d-scaler.. and cccp codecs, it might help, it might not.. like i said.. i see no difference, but you might

I have noticed somehing similiar. This is my idea. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I believe the PS3 may do a bit of sharpening.

MCE by default uses WMP to play videos. I use MediaBrowser to launch MPC-HC. From MPC-HC I turn on some post processing to sharpen the image. A small amount of sharpening makes a very noticeable difference.

Now I use a HD 5550 as the integrated video doesn't have the shader power to perform this post processing.

If you prefer to use only WMC then you can turn on some post procssing from the nVidia control panel. It will apply to TV as well if you use a tuner in your PC. I wouldn't know if yor MoBo has the power to apply this.

Now I use a HD 5550 as the integrated video doesn't have the shader power to perform this post processing.

If you prefer to use only WMC then you can turn on some post procssing from the nVidia control panel. It will apply to TV as well if you use a tuner in your PC. I wouldn't know if yor MoBo has the power to apply this.

good point, it should, nvidia control panel>video>adjust video image settings.. mess with the settings. you might do good in the color settings to turn up the gamma ramp a little

You won't be able to do much. the 9200, while better than the 8200 onboard for AMD still lacks the shader power to handle some video properly. All the praise people gave the 8200/9200 was kind of misleading as although it can do 1080p and 7.1 sound, 1080i and DVD upscaling is lacking. I ended up using a 8600gt instead and happy with it.

Just a point here: "MCE" refers to Windows XP Media Center Edition. If you have Win 7, then you have "WMC", Windows Media Center. Just to save confusion for you.

Back