• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

MCE Restricted Content

mastrmndv2

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
83
Thanks to Comcast buying out Adelphia my area just recently got a skew of channels including a full HBO lineup. However, when I go to WATCH (not even record) HBO channels on MCE I get about 10 secs worth and then a blue screen comes up telling me the channel is restricted content. Now I've done hours of digging through online articles and it seems that most people have this problem when trying to record HBO channels, whereas I have the issue of where I cannot even view them. Also the 9 step process did not work for me nor did the patch issued by Microsoft. I am at wits end and my next step is to reinstall MCE and prevent the installation of rollup2. Before I do this though I am willing to hear any last fixes or advice on the subject matter.
 
You didn't state how you're getting these into your HTPC -- is it DVB-T, -S, -C? A capture card through a settop box? We kinda would like to know before giving an answer for definite.

Either way, this is one of the primary reasons I went MythTV.
 
I'm getting the cable signal through my theater 550 pro, pci variant, that is inside my htpc. The cable is via a regular f connector located on the wall. No special cable box or anything.
 
i have exact same setup with sapphire 550 and charter cable(no box just cable into card). When i try to watch AMC or WE i get 10secs then restricted. Those channels work in my other pc with regular windows xp and i would love to figure it out for MCE.
 
I'm assuming they work fine when inputted directly into the TV, right?

If so then the reason why you keep getting that message is because the video is being sent to your TV with certain flags on it. Those flags tell MCE (or any other DVR) if you're allowed to record that show, if you're allowed to only record and view it once, etc. MCE is pretty strict about adhering to such things, I think there was a fix for this but I can't remember what it was; it's been a while since anyones had it.

Do they work fine in another PVR app?
 
I can record and watch those 2 channels that are restricted in MCE on my non-MCE box using kworld pvr. I will have to google for this fix you speak of.
 
Back
Top