MCE and PowerStrip on a normal TV

Keetha

Limp Gawd
Quick question. I've got my media box running MCE 2005. Should I make a powerstrip resolution of 648x486 for my TV? Or how should I do it? It's a Sony Trinitron from like 1995. S-video connected.

Keetha said:
Quick question. I've got my media box running MCE 2005. Should I make a powerstrip resolution of 648x486 for my TV? Or how should I do it? It's a Sony Trinitron from like 1995. S-video connected.
Why would you do that? :confused:
I thought Powerstrip was used to set correct timings and aspect ratios if you connected a DVI or VGA cable from an (old) video card into your TV.

You said your TV is using Svideo. Isn’t that set automatically to handle a vertical & horizontal resolution of no more than 480i by 720 at about 60 Hz?

Was your plan to see your “desk top” clearly using Svideo? If it was, the desk top will never look very good because the resolution of a standard definition TV is much too low. You would need to use one of those new fangled LCD TVs or some such device. :eek:

Yeah, I wanted to see the desktop more clearly. Why won't it get clear? If I set my monitor to 640x480, it looks fine. And that's the same resoluion as a TV, so why doesn't it work?

Ok, I've spent the last 4 hours on this...
Can someone please tell me how to display MCE 2005 (and everything for that matter) on a normal TV (SDTV?) with no overscan? I simply can not do it no matter what website I read or guide I follow.

Svideo is 720x480, the video card is going to either underscale or overscale your desktop resolution to 720x480 anyways so you might as well set it there, that way the video card doesn't screw anything up (it has pretty stupid video scalers).

Powerstrip will do nothing for you. If you're trying to make things "clear" then get a new TV and use DVI/HDMI to connect it.

I don't use DVI/VGA, I use S-Video.

I finally got rid of under/overscan and everything (using the built in ATI driver thing lol!) but...

MCE is intentionally overscaling all the time now. I have all other programs fixed, but no matter what res, timings, etc., I use, MCE always loks the same. Whenever I minimize MCE, for a split second, I can see it look like it should be, then it minimizes.

i know you don't use vga/dvi, neither do i, i have svideo setup, but when you select that in the mce setup it removes the overscan...

your welcome, i know how frustrating it was originally, the overscan was terrible and i couldn't read my subtitles :eek:

Back