McDonalds Says: Video Games Make You Fat

HardOCP News

[H] News
I damn near choked on my Big Mac when I heard that McDonalds is actually blaming video games for obesity! What the!?!?! Thanks to [H] forum member Stormwalker for the linkage.

The chief executive of McDonald’s UK has hit out at video games for being a major cause of the childhood obesity crisis. Steve Easterbrook told The Times that the food and drinks industry shared responsibility for the issue with individuals and Government.

I bust out laughing. I say they are wrong. fast food makes you fat if you eat it alot.

Wii sports burns just as many calories as does standing in front of the fridge eating burgers.

The guy has a point, fast food was around and popular for a long time and no one was blaming them. Now all of a sudden people are getting huge and fat and it is their fault? Then the 90s roll around, never moving at all is a huge option for kids as TV and Games explode in popularity. Older generations had little option of letting the TV raise their kids, the extent of programming was Sesame Street!

Wii sports burns just as many calories as does standing in front of the fridge eating burgers.

The guy has a point, fast food was around and popular for a long time and no one was blaming them. Now all of a sudden people are getting huge and fat and it is their fault? Then the 90s roll around, never moving at all is a huge option for kids as TV and Games explode in popularity. Older generations had little option of letting the TV raise their kids, the extent of programming was Sesame Street!

Nah, if you play Wii Sports the right way it burns a lot more. Heck a guy even lost weight using it as his workout. I never head of a person loosing weight doing the McDonalds diet.

:confused:
I could agree that games have generate a partial amount to the obesity issue, but when your food has been shown to directly cause obesity you need to keep your mouth shut. Do not go around blaming others for causing problems when you are directly a major issue in it.

No, no, of COURSE it isn't the 800 calorie cheeseburgers, it's those damn video games!

How 'bout cutting back a LOT on BOTH.

This is the funniest thing i have read in some time.

I found "video games" response to the Mcdonalds allegations.

Daedalus_AI said:

What? You do realize how stupid that sounds right? Your saying that eating something while standing you burn as many calories as you do while just standing around swinging your arms?

I think it's both. Though, even when video games were getting into their prime in the 90's I still played sports at least 4 times a week along with practices for said sports, playing with friends outdoors, etc. We did go and play video games together too, but like anything, it was all a lot to do and so little time.

Also in the 90's I do recall the whole super size race, who the hell can make a better and tastier (ahem by making it worse health wise). The whole fast food is better because cooking and working parents have no time marketing... geez Who the hell are they kidding?

I think parents are to blame. When I was a kid my mother practically drove me out of the house to do things several hours a day. Go to the park. Play with friends, walk around.. Just don't expect to sit around all day! TV, video games and McDonald's food were all luxuries doled out in small quantities.

Important distinction:

Food makes you fat

Not exercising (Playing video games) makes you not burn calories

The food is what's making you fat. If you played video games all day and didn;t eat anything you wouldn't wear size fat and a half pants

I very much disagree. I play video games borderline obsessively and have been doing so since pre-school and I'm 5'8" and weigh in at 125lbs. That isn't fat, that isn't husky, that's below normal weight for a 21 college student that's 5'8". I might even argue that video games are what keep me so skinny for two reasons.

1. I play aggressively, as in my heart rate increases and adrenaline kicks in (FPS games or tense RTS/MMO moments such as dueling). That however is completely void of any proof and is purely my own "edumacated" guess. I'd say #2 is probably the main reason.

2. I find that I lose track of time while playing video games which also tends to lead to accidentally skipped meals. Can't get fat if I'm not exceeding the daily calorie intake.

What video games can cause is health problems similar to what being fat causes. Even though your skinny you're still "No match for a deadly clot" :D.

It really boils down to parents, there is a minor percentage of kids who will never follow their parents teachings, but if parents put forth the effort, they can create a better tomorrow with the youth of the future. (and jetpacks)

The more you know..

dun ding diiing..

Important distinction:

Food makes you fat

The food is what's making you fat. If you played video games all day and didn;t eat anything you wouldn't wear size fat and a half pants

quoted for ABSOLUTE truth.

I think it's both. Though, even when video games were getting into their prime in the 90's I still played sports at least 4 times a week along with practices for said sports, playing with friends outdoors, etc. We did go and play video games together too, but like anything, it was all a lot to do and so little time.

Also in the 90's I do recall the whole super size race, who the hell can make a better and tastier (ahem by making it worse health wise). The whole fast food is better because cooking and working parents have no time marketing... geez Who the hell are they kidding?

Slade has a perfect point there. Yes it is true that fast food has been around for a long time, but it's portions have increased greatly over the past few years. I remember being younger (during the 80s) and McDonalds sold single hamburgers, single cheeseburgers and the big mac. When you got a meal, it was small sized and you had a ask for a medium or large. The only kids meal was the Happy Meal. Same for Burger King. Then they started adding Super/King size. Went from small being the default combo size to medium. Made the small hamburger/cheeseburger meals into big kid meals. I haven't paid that much attention recently, but I don't think they even offer small combos any more. I think your choices are medium, large, super/king. You can still get a small fry and drink, but not as a combo. On top of that they started selling double and triple burgers. Started toping them with bacon.

That makes the local McDonald's doubly guilty. A couple of years ago they ripped out their playplace and replaced it with Gamecube kiosks.

Rouzuki, I was pretty much like that up until I was around 35 or so. I could eat anything with no consequences. I was actually desperately TRYING to gain weight but couldn't; that was the downside. The upside was that I could eat a whole "trough" (6-scoop banana split with tons of toppings) at the old Farrell's ice cream place and nothing would happen, haha.

Then I started playing video games and turned into a blimp!!

Just kidding. No, I'm still in pretty good shape, just have to watch the diet a bit more than I did when I was younger. People say I look better now because I have more meat on me.

when kids start eating video games and gaining weight - then McD's statement would hold some truth.

Simply put - sitting on your ass (TV, movies, video games, sleeping) - none of those are going to get you into shape. I'm 6'1 and 195lbs in decent shape - and i might eat Mcdonalds ONCE a month.

They have made efforts with stuff like salad - but they core of their business is ultra processed greaseball burgers. (thats why they taste so good). If you want to blame anyone for america being out of shape blame yourself or blame the parents (thats the only two possible answers)

McDonalds as a business is good - they offer something that tastes great - problem is most of this country has no self control and go overboard. Why should companies have to police themselves or change their ways because their customers are idiots?

Hmm lets see here...

4 years ago I was 6'0" 245lbs and my life was fast food and video games. One doctor visit later I was on a diet and cut out fast food along with other crap I would eat/drink *sodas and sugar*. While on this diet I was still a hardcore gamer, I never exercised except for walking from class to class in high school.

Two years later I had lost 120 pounds and I've kept it off since then.

Moral of the story, no fast food, no fat. Ofcourse you can get fat without fast food too but in my case it was the Jack In the Box combo #5 that did it.

Important distinction:

Food makes you fat

See that's part of the problem though.. It's not being fat that is so bad, its being out of shape that is the killer! People who practically starve themselves and don't get out and do anything are going to wind up being just as bad off as a lardass that doesn't do anything.. Somebody that gets a decent amount of excercise and is it decent shape can be somewhat pleasantly plump also and still be fine.

Being out of shape is the real killer though. Not everybody can look like a skinny sculpted body builder regardless of how much they exercise. And I think that's why so many people with weight on give up on trying to get into shape.. Because they are told that only thin and trim is healthy, and they can't achieve it. We need to put more emphasis on the exercising before bickering about video games or food causing obesity.. It's really just getting enough activity that is the biggest health benefit. As usual governments just try to overload people with conflicting nonsense that creates a finger pointing contest instead of anything of any real benefit coming from it.

Hmm lets see here...

4 years ago I was 6'0" 245lbs and my life was fast food and video games. One doctor visit later I was on a diet and cut out fast food along with other crap I would eat/drink *sodas and sugar*. While on this diet I was still a hardcore gamer, I never exercised except for walking from class to class in high school.

Two years later I had lost 120 pounds and I've kept it off since then.

Moral of the story, no fast food, no fat. Ofcourse you can get fat without fast food too but in my case it was the Jack In the Box combo #5 that did it.

Just wait until you hit 30 and your metabolism takes a nosedive. :D

I have played video games for years, and at times I substituted all entertainment with CS or WoW. It was rare for me to exercise or move more than in between the fridge and the keyboard. Even with that behavior I have never been overweight or even average weight for that matter. I am 6' 3" 165 lbs... What I am getting at is: It is impossible to blame obesity on any one thing. Genetics, diet, activity level, thought, and even culture all play a role on someones weight. It's also unfair of him to assume video games don't burn calories... since gamers are constantly burning energy as the brain is at a very high activity level. And then there is the whole wii thing... wii boxing is tiring.

Mcdognads is good for the environment as well. they clean up roadkill for free.

owned_ronald_mcdonald.jpg

I'm pretty sure the junk food helps aid the fatness, I remember being a kid once, I played games maybe 2 hours a day, but I was peddling about on my bycicle and stuff a hell of a lot more and I hardly ate any junk. If you want to blame someone, blame the parents for not encouraging their kids to get off their ass and do something active, and supply them with the McHeart Attack...with cheese almost every day of the week.

Yeah it's the games' fault I don't leave the house and it's the restaurant's fault I eat too much.

Nothing's MY fault, obviousely, since there's no such thing as self-control and common sense, right? Yup, blame everything but the people who commit the act.

The whole concept Mcdonnals claims IS WRONG!

Video games don't make you fat, you can't eat video games and expect to gain fat mass (probably you would get cancer or stomach pain or even death but never fat).

If you play 24/7 video games and eat your maintenance caloric intake you won't gain any FAT MASS, even further, if you don't move your body you ACTUALLY WILL LOSE WEIGHT due to muscle atrophic.

All weight loss/gain is directly affected by what you eat. Not by what activities you do.

I've been playing video games all my life and been in gym for 5 years now. I've been twice in Mcdonnals and not only I felt like a stupid monkey waiting in line for his food to be served but I found I could make same food that tasted better, 0% quimical shit and WAY MORE WEALTHY.

Mcdonnals = Slow death for your body.

You mean a Royale w/ Cheese?

Or better yet, a Big Kahuna burger. This IS a tasty burger! You mind if I have some of your drink to wash this down?

How about blaming PEOPLE for getting fat? You can eat McDonald's all day long if you are active enough.

Blame PEOPLE for violence, not video games...

Back