McAfee Upgrade Hobbles Lotus Notes

HardOCP News

[H] News
News.com.com says that people using both IBM Lotus Notes and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise are in danger of being locked out of their e-mail after updating their VirusScan software.

Installing McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i on a PC that also runs the Lotus Notes e-mail client can lock people out of their mailboxes, the two companies have confirmed. Lotus Notes is a commonly used e-mail application, particularly in larger organizations.

McAfee's only surviving because a lot of prebuilt companies bloat their computers with their inferior crap.

McAfee's only surviving because a lot of prebuilt companies bloat their computers with their inferior crap.

I think you are confused with Symantec Norton Antivirus, McAfee isn't total crap. There corporate version is decent, and even the home version doesn't have the jaw drooping 25% performance hit than Norton does.

I think you are confused with Symantec Norton Antivirus, McAfee isn't total crap. There corporate version is decent, and even the home version doesn't have the jaw drooping 25% performance hit than Norton does.

Nope. I put both of 'em in the same sinking boat. :D

I disagree good sir!

McAfee's corporate product is significantly worse than Symantec Corporate.

McAfee is pretty much the worst out of all of the AV vendors as well. Application compatibility issues, slow AV, broken updates all kinds of fun.

Symantec isn't much better but it's no McAfee.

Personally in my consulting business we use and recommend Eset's NOD32 product (www.eset.com)

It's got a significantly smaller memory and system load footprint than almost ANY other AV product out there, plus great corporate management/deployment.

It's one of the only AV products I can run on my home gaming system without noticing ANY difference in performance.

CA's eTrust Antivirus 6.0 and 7.1 were great as well but they done F'd it up in 8.0 with 125MB ram footprints, huge installs and buggy software.

For home users, AVG's AV only product is easy to use and works well though I still recommend any power user get Eset's product... NOD32 has an AV option to treat spyware/malware/PUP's as a virus so that crap just gets killed before it even hits your hard drive temp files. It's not a spyware cleaner/scanner but with windows defender it stops stuff from getting on there in the first place, then if something does slip by you have defender there as well to clean up.

NOD32's also one of the only products (i think sophos is another) to get 100% virus detection awards from viruslabs every year...

Its not total crap, but its still crap, right?

Sigh.. it would be a blessing to rid myself of lotus notes. Outlook is soooo much better and trouble free. Dont even get me started about how much Symantec sucks. Adds at least 2 minutes to my boot times.

Outlook is soooo much better and trouble free.

My work uses Novell and Groupwise for email, but sometime this year we're migrating to all Microsoft functions. I'd still rather use Thunderbird though :p.

We also use Symantec AV, and I don't think that's gonna change anytime soon :(

I spend half of my day fixing lotus notes issues. So many little settings.. and quirks that can muck up the whole process. We were on exchange/outlook before a company take-over happened. Never had any problems for 6 years. Things just worked. Then came Lotus/Dominoe. People have reverted to using Fax machines again because of it. And why do we use that crap? IBM gave us a good deal. Yay.

Back