McAfee Android Malware Problem is Worsening

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report from McAfee claims that Android is now the biggest target for malware and the problem is only getting worse.

McAfee released its quarterly report on technology threats this week, and points out the huge spike in attacks on Android. The findings are in line with the report we wrote about a few weeks ago from Lookout Mobile Security. It's also worth pointing out that instances of malware in Apple's iOS were so negligible they weren't even reported by McAfee.

Closed vs. open platform.

Meh...

That is a good part of it, the other problem is how android handles updates. I would prefer it if handset makers(and carriers) had less input in when and if an update was allowed. Hopefully eventually they will be seen as hand held personal computers and not semi closed devices.

One should not have to root a device to update software:)

Who needs DOSBox when you can install McAfee and get the same slowdown results?

LOL. Steve, Mcafee appreciates your free advertisement.

McAffee: It's a dangerous world out there! Don't go without me!.... Make sure to pay the $49.95.

Who needs DOSBox when you can install McAfee and get the same slowdown results?

This is the same company that came out with Internet security and allowed 250 companies past your firewall without asking. McAfee stay with the corporates and leave the consumer market alone and take Norton , the No1 resource hog, with you.

A meeting of top executives at McAfee's:

"Humm, sales are really slow! What can we do?"

"Smartphones are a hot product today. Android is selling like water. Maybe we can scare the hell out those user just like we did in the past with PC users!"

"Yes! Maybe we can even create some of those malwares (like we did before) to make the scare more scary!!!"

"Ok. Lets do it. The first step is a very scary report."

And we know the rest...

Looks like this is exclusively through downloading Apps? Websites are not causing issues (yet?) So I think you guys are still safe to surf the pr0n on your mobile computers........

Owning 2 Android Tablets (Acer A500). Android is a fucking piece of shit.

Having owned 3 Android devices, HTC Incredible, Droid 1, Droid 2.

Android blows.

I hope McAfee destroys Android sales with this report somehow, but sadly that won't happen.

Android blows.

I hope McAfee destroys Android sales with this report somehow, but sadly that won't happen.

So what OS do you run now?

So what OS do you run now?

Sadly my Droid 2. I loathe this phone.

Hopefully when the iPhone 4(gs/5) comes out the price of the 4 will hit rock bottom and I can pick one up out of contract pretty cheap.

Had two iPhones before Android, listened to the crowed in the Mobile Phones forum and went to Android and have regretted that since day 1.

This is the same company that came out with Internet security and allowed 250 companies past your firewall without asking. McAfee stay with the corporates and leave the consumer market alone and take Norton , the No1 resource hog, with you.

Norton has vastly improved since 2005, I use that as well as MSE, and Spybot. McAfee has historically and for as long as I have run into their crappy products (14 years), have been the main reason a system has locked up/crashed/BSOD/royally FUBAR'd the OS.

Who would have thought a rapidly growing mobile OS, that isn't locked down tighter than a nun's habit, would be getting a larger malware issue :rolleyes:

Who's up next for state the obvious?

Who's up next for state the obvious?

I'll go..

If Apple was the targeted platform, this thread would be a seven page, hate filled monstrosity, full of jabs at Apple elitists and 'fuck Jobs' etc., with a couple posters pointing out the rampant FUD and misinformation spread by the Apple haters.

But it's Android, so let's blame McAfee, even though the article lists a second source claiming an increase in malware attacks, and also Google:

While Google has been actively hunting malware and even went so far as to throw a remote killswitch on some infected apps a few months ago, it seems the problem is beyond whatever controls the company has in place.

Sadly my Droid 2. I loathe this phone.

Hopefully when the iPhone 4(gs/5) comes out the price of the 4 will hit rock bottom and I can pick one up out of contract pretty cheap.

Had two iPhones before Android, listened to the crowed in the Mobile Phones forum and went to Android and have regretted that since day 1.

Don't forget about Windows Phone! Awesome stuff (Mango) coming out later this year.

Don't forget about Windows Phone! Awesome stuff (Mango) coming out later this year.

My sister in law has a Windows phone and seems to enjoy, but I don't tinker with my phone.

I had no problems with my iPhone and am comfortable with it. I don't tinker with my phones, that’s what PCs are for.

I'm going back to iOS. I've had nothing but a bad experience with Android.

Android blows.

Perhaps I am just a lucky one, but my wife and I have used the Droid 2 since it came out and never really had any problems with it(that I didn't cause myself). What about Android blows so badly for you? I ask because maybe I don't know better since my Droid 2 was my first real smart phone. Is there something really ground breaking that I have not experienced from the other teams? I have played with each one before and maybe I am just not as picky or something since I couldn't see a big difference between them all. I just picked Android because I liked to tinker and it was new.

I truly believe it just falls under personal preferences, but with Android's openness I guess it would be easier for malware to slip in.

This explains why EA said they would no longer publish on Steam, EA said "Steam is too Restrictive", Now we know exactly what they mean.

Props to Valve for not letting EA do this through Steam. Once again Valve proves its self as an industry leader buy not allowing this.

Closed vs. open platform.

Meh...

Lol, no this is what happens when you have a proprietary "open" platform, whose approach to it was driven by a bottom line that is clueless/unconcerned with things like, security, privacy, safe practice....you know....Google.

Worse than that, is most providers don't take many steps if at all to fix this, most just add to it by lumping more crap nobody asked for, you know, like McAfee...for Android, as if it failing as much as it does in the Windows arena wasn't bad enough.

My co-worker said that if you get your apps through official channels ( ie. Android's official store ) there is no problems. People tend to obtain viruses by downloading from 3rd party sites, much like viruses on the Internet?

My co-worker said that if you get your apps through official channels ( ie. Android's official store ) there is no problems. People tend to obtain viruses by downloading from 3rd party sites, much like viruses on the Internet?

Usually you are correct but it can happen from the official market too - http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...-phones-tablets-promises-better-secutiry.html

Also, it will tell you permissions requested by the app so if it seems sketchy, like why would wallpaper app need access to your contacts ect then you can skip that app.

Back