MC 2500k $60 off combo price with certain Z68 Gen3 MB

hmm... i didn't realize Microcenter took down their i3 combo for 120... oh well, was planning a cheap build

not sure if i want to spend the extra 100+ on the 2500k plus a mobo

anyways, got a i5 2500k and an ASRock Z68 Pro-3M for 200 total... woot

cheaper than the i5 2500k that i got at launch for 180 :(

the 60 off mobo combo worked for any P67/Z68 mobo...

the cheapest I could find was the above ASRock for 110 (sticker price was something like 130 i think, but scanned at 110). other mobos were OOS, so might have so cheaper P67 mobos

Which Microcenter did you go to? And was there a line? I drove by the one in Paterson yesterday, but drove away after I saw the line...

Last edited:
I did go to the one at Paterson... at 4pm, there was still a line to get in.

waited roughly 20 min... they let groups of people in intervals... no specialdoorbusters at 4pm :p

was never crowded inside the store. still had a lot of i5s when I left

Leaving this because I was the idiot but, for anyone who might read it, COMPLETELY DISREGARD IT. I was wrong.

Wasted my time dealing with MicroCenter today.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:34:59 AM (11/26/2011 4:34:59 PM - GMT)

Welcome to www.microcenter.com, GeraldT will be right with you.

GeraldT:
Hello, my name is Gerald. Thank you for choosing Micro Center Online chat service. How can I assist?

Me:
Hello Gerald.

Me:
I would like to voice a complaint I guess. How is it that you can advertise a deal on a CPU in the following flyer

Me:
http://www.theblackfriday.com/ads/microcenter/microcenter-black-friday-ad1.shtml

Me:
specifically the deal on the Intel Core i5-2500K for $150 and then when I go in there today it is at its regular price of $180?

Me:
If you notice in the upper left hand corner of the flyer it lists your store hours for the entire weekend, implying that the sales are good all weekend. But they really weren't huh? Just for Friday?

Me:
Is there some reasonable explanation for that or is it a bait and switch like it seems?

GeraldT:
Some of the items were only for yesterday, some are for the entire weekend.

GeraldT:
the local store will tell you which ones are the weekend deals and black friday deals

Me:
Yes well I think that will be the last time I deal with you guys then because it would have been very easy to put a qualifier on the specific items to say "Friday only" but you all didn't. A classic bait and switch IMO. All it says under the i5 2500K is "in store only" and "Limit one per customer". It says nothing about it being Friday only. And last night at approx. 10 pm when I looked at the item on your website it was still being advertised for $150. Let your customer service manager know that you have lost a customer. That's just bad business.

Me:
Take care Gerald

Last edited:
Unlike the old days when Grandpa would make the statement "you lost a customer" to a local business, today's retailers could care less about 1 customer. Business is no longer a local, but world wide. So they will listen to your whining, but not give it a second thought afterward.

If you really want to make the issue, follow through with a lawsuit for false advertising and bait and switch. Unfortunately, whining and complaining to customer service won't do much this day and age.

One person won't make an impact unless you have a million twitter follows to voice your concern to. Aside from that, you're trying to get one over microcenter considering the price was a black Friday price.

On another note, I might go and pick up the CPU/MOBO deal. Which one is good. Would prefer Z68 motherboard though.

Unlike the old days when Grandpa would make the statement "you lost a customer" to a local business, today's retailers could care less about 1 customer. Business is no longer a local, but world wide. So they will listen to your whining, but not give it a second thought afterward.

If you really want to make the issue, follow through with a lawsuit for false advertising and bait and switch. Unfortunately, whining and complaining to customer service won't do much this day and age.

Yeah, thanks for the advice.

A) I didn't make my statement that they had lost a customer thinking it would make any real difference or that they would care enough to do anything about it. If I had really wanted to push the issue, I would have tried to escalate it and chewed some managerial ass. My reason for chatting online was so that I would have a record of it. For a couple of reasons, one being if I wanted to make a bigger issue out of it in the near future, I could. Another being that I could post the results here so that it may benefit/warn off anyone else from making that trip to MicroCenter and expecting the 2500K to be $150.

B) There was no whinging involved. I don't whinge.

Aside from that, you're trying to get one over microcenter considering the price was a black Friday price.

Um yeah, I wasn't trying to get one over on them. Apparently I just can't read very well.

Last edited:
Can you explain how a person should be able to tell that the price of the 2500K is good for Friday only from that advertisement?

Jlfj6.png

Maybe it's just me, but the "11/25 ONLY!" seems a bit of an indication.

Jlfj6.png

Holy fuck! Umm...yeah. Jeebus I can't believe I missed that. I guess it would help if I could see correctly. Wow. Time for me to eat some crow.

I wish I had a print out of that flyer when I went in there today. Then they kid could have said, "Um, sir, you see that BIG YELLOW CIRCLE where it says 11/25 ONLY!"?

Jeebus.

Last edited:
Jlfj6.png

Darn. You took the glory. Lol. Their CPU/mobo combo is still good. You could have bought that and resold the motherboard to offset the cost of the CPU.

Darn. You took the glory. Lol. Their CPU/mobo combo is still good. You could have bought that and resold the motherboard to offset the cost of the CPU.

Yeah I almost feel like I should go and buy the damn thing from them since I idiotically caused such a stir.

I went down on friday and owened mc and price matched my 2500k that i bought 3 weeks ago. :)

Went into the Chicago/westmont store Friday night and grabbed a 2500k. No lines, and only slightly more busy than normal. Sales guy looked so sad when i insisted I only wanted the 2500k. lol

During black Friday their motherboard selection was already pick over, and i had to settle for GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. When back today and they were fully stocked. I exchanged the GIGABYTE for a ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 with the $60 off.

During black Friday their motherboard selection was already pick over, and i had to settle for GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3. When back today and they were fully stocked. I exchanged the GIGABYTE for a ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 with the $60 off.

Shit, I picked the Gigabyte board over the Asus. My luck with Asus boards have been very poor over the last few years and their customer service is abysmal to say the very least. Gigabyte has never let me down.... I only wish I could have afforded an even nicer board.

Back