MBP Resolutions

theDreamer

2[H]4U
So now that the MBs have been upgraded to the new chipset I was very close to pulling the trigger, but then I realized that I need more graphical power than what is provided in the MB line. So I hoped over and started looking at the MBPs again, for the millionth time, but I am finally digging deep into the specs and comparing them all.

I have come down to the need of the upper end 15" or the 17" is what I will need, but my question is about the resolutions. The 17" has finally gotten the proper resolution (I think it has), but the 15" is still lagging behind with the lower resolution. So I am wondering for those who own the 15" does the resolution bother you at all? Also I have another (older) 15" laptop that runs at 1680x1050 so will the drop in resolution bother me, maybe?

I know this last question is all speculation and no one ever knows, but does Apple ever see the need or will upgrade the 15" with a higher resolution?

Thanks.

When I had my 17 inch go in for repairs I was once stuck with a 15 inch and than a Macbook. Going from 17 to 13 is a DRAMATIC decrease in resolution and you can notice it.

Going from 1680 x 1050 to 1440 x 900 barely hurts and is barely noticeable. The only reason a high resolution is optimal is when you do a lot of graphic work or have programs that have a lot of tools.

Apple will stay at this sweet resolution spot because most people who have MBP's usually have an external display they hook up to at home. But if you really want a wicked high res, go for the 17 inch high res solution. :D

I use a 20" imac, dual display @ 1680 x 1050, and a 15" mbp for work.

Its not that bad. Really. I had a powerbook, and the mbp is MUCH better than that...

Just like anything else, its nicer once you adjust. 17" is too big for me... like a lunch tray.

I have no problem with my 15'' Macbook pro's screen resolution. I also use a 1920x1200 routinely and the small resolution doesn't bother me at all. It looks proper in Mac and in Windows the display is gorgeous.

I have the 15" MBP and I really like the resolution--not too big not too small.

My previous laptop was a Dell running 1920x1200 and while the huge res was nice for fitting lots of windows/toolboxes, it sucked because all the fonts were really tiny and I ended up having to run it with "Large Fonts" in Windows (XP)... and Windows does NOT handle that well at all. Text on buttons was running off the right edge of the button, etc.

I also have a 1680x1050 external monitor with my MBP and together, it's just perfect. And there's no way that having one single 1920x1200 or even a single 1680x1050 would make up for the two screens put together in terms of utility.

Back