MBA Mini Review and Teardown

Grr, I can't believe they couldn't manage to put a proper backlit keyboard like on the 13" MBP or the prev-gen MBA. So frustrating! >.<

Grr, I can't believe they couldn't manage to put a proper backlit keyboard like on the 13" MBP or the prev-gen MBA. So frustrating! >.<

Probably detracted from battery life a little too much for The Steve’s liking.

IMO, the only real annoyance is that what is normally a glass screen on the MacBook Pro line is a plastic screen on the Air. It’s a compromise made for the sake of getting the Air under 3 pounds, but still.

Yes, I'm used to it on my Sony laptop and I wanted my first MacBook to be super cool, better than a 13" MBP. But it lacks such an important to me feature, making me unable to go for the 13" Air over 13" MBP.

The thing is tiny, probably just didn't fit.
It shouldn't take more than a millimeter or two... :/

Probably detracted from battery life a little too much for The Steve’s liking.
This is a non-argument. A backlit keyboard doesn't detract from battery life _at all_. Why? Because it's normally off. You only turn it on when you absolutely have to, and in that case, battery life is meaningless if you can't use the computer.

Yes, I'm used to it on my Sony laptop and I wanted my first MacBook to be super cool, better than a 13" MBP. But it lacks such an important to me feature, making me unable to go for the 13" Air over 13" MBP.
Which Sony laptop?
It shouldn't take more than a millimeter or two... :/
According to who?
This is a non-argument. A backlit keyboard doesn't detract from battery life _at all_. Why? Because it's normally off. You only turn it on when you absolutely have to, and in that case, battery life is meaningless if you can't use the computer.
You need to have a backlit keyboard to use a computer? Shit, here I thought you just needed to know how to type. Or you could use the light from the computer's screen to find the keys.

Which Sony laptop?
Check my sig.

You need to have a backlit keyboard to use a computer? Shit, here I thought you just needed to know how to type. Or you could use the light from the computer's screen to find the keys.
It sounds like you haven't used a laptop with a backlit keyboard in dark situations. Sorry, I can't explain it using words.

As far as the backlite keyboard... well.. I think that would have been awesome. I like them on low.
Agreed.

I'm starting to accept it and getting closer to pulling the trigger. But it will suck using it at night in bed.

You can manually turn it off, sure. You can even disable the built-in light sensing to prevent the backlighting on the keyboard and the display to adjust to lighting conditions. But that doesn’t change the fact that, yeah, when something is on, it drains power. The light-up logo on the back of the case draws power.

It’s a compromise. Live with it or don’t buy the product.

You can manually turn it off, sure. You can even disable the built-in light sensing to prevent the backlighting on the keyboard and the display to adjust to lighting conditions. But that doesn’t change the fact that, yeah, when something is on, it drains power.
My point stands. Having an optional keyboard backlight does not reduce the effective battery life. It certainly isn't the main reason to exclude it.

The light-up logo on the back of the case draws power.
No, it doesn't. The light comes from the LCD backlighting which is on to light up the screen. It's essentially free.

It’s a compromise. Live with it or don’t buy the product.
Sadly, yeah.

My point stands. Having an optional keyboard backlight does not reduce the effective battery life. It certainly isn't the main reason to exclude it.

It certainly isn’t a reason to include it, apparently. If you can come up with a better reason, I’m all ears. Otherwise, it’s battery life.

No, it doesn't. The light comes from the LCD backlighting which is on to light up the screen. It's essentially free.

Where did I say it was somehow powered by a separate light?

Sadly, yeah.

There you go. :p

IMO, the only real annoyance is that what is normally a glass screen on the MacBook Pro line is a plastic screen on the Air. It’s a compromise made for the sake of getting the Air under 3 pounds, but still.
That's really very unfortunate in my opinion. I suppose, though, that I would need to see it in person to be able to come to opinion about it.

Check my sig.

It sounds like you haven't used a laptop with a backlit keyboard in dark situations. Sorry, I can't explain it using words.

Agreed.

I'm starting to accept it and getting closer to pulling the trigger. But it will suck using it at night in bed.

Ah, sorry, I don't look at people's sigs most of the time. So you're upset that a laptop that was meant to be very light and very thin doesn't have the same options as your 1.3" thick, 5.6 pound laptop? Awesome. I used to have a 15" PowerBook with the backlit keyboard. I never used it because it was worthless. I seriously don't understand the point if you know how to type from the home row. Unless Apple has changed the keyboard (I can't tell from the photos so far), there are two little "bumps" on F and J to find them easily.

Ah, sorry, I don't look at people's sigs most of the time. So you're upset that a laptop that was meant to be very light and very thin doesn't have the same options as your 1.3" thick, 5.6 pound laptop? Awesome. I used to have a 15" PowerBook with the backlit keyboard. I never used it because it was worthless. I seriously don't understand the point if you know how to type from the home row. Unless Apple has changed the keyboard (I can't tell from the photos so far), there are two little "bumps" on F and J to find them easily.
Are you fucking kidding me? Wow. Are you sure you're able to read people's sigs?

My Sony Z122 weighs 3.0 lbs. Where in the world did you get 5.6 pounds from?

Maybe the previous-gen MBA didn't have a backlit keyboard either? Oh, it did, but it was probably 1.3" thick, that's why.

It certainly isn’t a reason to include it, apparently. If you can come up with a better reason, I’m all ears. Otherwise, it’s battery life.
Cost, thickness, sure. Battery life, not really.

Does having bluetooth built-in subtract from battery life too? Or having built-in speakers? Or built-in mic? Not unless you use them.

Where did I say it was somehow powered by a separate light?
Then why would the logo draw any extra power?

Thickness has to be the reason. The inside of the new MBA is packed tighter than a sardine can. Adding LEDs for backlighting increases the size of the enclosure, simple. The MBA is basically two sheets of aluminum with a thin slice of computer and an LCD display inside of it.

If you're going to get a backlit keyboard, it'll have to be with a thicker enclosure like the Macbook Pros. Calling MBPs "thick" is a little weird given how thin and light they are compared to laptops of comparable power.

Does anyone know how thick the prev-gen MBA was? Cuz it did have a backlit keyboard.

Is the new 13" MBA any thinner due to the lack of a backlit keyboard?

Cost, thickness, sure. Battery life, not really.

I really doubt there’s a major cost premium for keyboard backlighting. I don’t think the technology adds much if anything in the way of thickness, either.

Does having bluetooth built-in subtract from battery life too? Or having built-in speakers? Or built-in mic? Not unless you use them.

All of these are far more common and expected features than a backlit keyboard.

Then why would the logo draw any extra power?

Same reason the display does. :D

Does anyone know how thick the prev-gen MBA was? Cuz it did have a backlit keyboard.

Is the new 13" MBA any thinner due to the lack of a backlit keyboard?

EDIT: The 2008 model MBA did have a backlit keyboard, just double checked. The new MBA is about a tenth of an inch thinner at the thickest point, .05" thinner at the front. Couldn't find specs on the difference where the keyboard is. Either way, I suspect that they couldn't cram the LEDs in there given the size limitations and how much stuff they already need to jam into something that is basically a flat piece of metal.

The 11" MBA has similar thickness to the 13", look at how tightly the electronics are crammed against the keyboard assembly: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-11-Inch-Model-A1370-Teardown/3745/1

Last edited:
Are you fucking kidding me? Wow. Are you sure you're able to read people's sigs?

My Sony Z122 weighs 3.0 lbs. Where in the world did you get 5.6 pounds from?

Maybe the previous-gen MBA didn't have a backlit keyboard either? Oh, it did, but it was probably 1.3" thick, that's why.

Amazon said 5.6, but that's shipping weight - sorry. Either way, it was removed due to space requirements and the fact that it's not really needed. Like I said, you either know how to type, or you use the light from the screen to see the keys.

Regardless what you say, some of us still would of liked to see it as a feature. Thats all we are saying. Battery life concerns are a moot point. If you want to save battery you kill the screen brightness and turn the keyboard back light off. It would have been nice to have there as a choice.

You're missing the point. The goal was to build the thinnest, lightest, longest-lasting laptop they could. And knowing it's Apple, I would feel confident saying that it's got a decent profit margin. People would have liked to see a lot of things as features, but why bother? Even the guy that originally brought it up said he was getting over the fact that it didn't have a backlit keyboard I think. If it's going to add weight or thickness, reduce battery life, or hell, even if it reduces profit margins for something not "necessary" - why do it? I'm glad to hear all of you using your years of experience designing laptops to assume that a backlit keyboard would have no impact on thickness, weight, battery life, and profits.

Again since you can't seem to figure it out:

Regardless what you have to say, some of us would still like it as a feature. I don't give a shit about the who, what, where, when, how, and why of the subject. I'd still have liked to see it as a feature. No matter how hard you try you are not going to change my opinion of what I'd like to see in it.

I guess I'm just not going to understand it. If you "don't give a shit about the who, what, where, when, how, and why", then it's not going to happen.

It's like saying you want 27 USB ports on it. You're not being realistic. You just keep repeating yourself with the "we just want it" line and the best explanation for wanting it so far is shurcooL's "I can't explain it using words". Now if you have a legitimate reason for wanting it, I'm sure this guy would love to hear from you:

sjobs [at] apple [dot] com

Until then, enjoy living in Fantasyland. Please send me a postcard!

Anyway, back to serious conversations - benchmarks are starting to show up in the Xbench database: http://db.xbench.com/search.xhtml?text=macbook+air&sort=date#tableTop

Looks kind of weird as my MacBook with the GMA950 scores 200+ on the OpenGL test but the 11" MacBook Air only gets ~100. I wonder why?

So tempting... Would have justified it if I was still in college. Now that I started working I no longer need such a portable machine. :(

Anyway my main reasons for buying it would be 1) OSX, 2) very portable, 3) it looks nice. Battery life is decent. Price is fairly reasonable for Apple.

If you can't stop arguing about minuscule shit, i'm locking the thread.

Apple didn't include a backlit keyboard. THE ONLY people that know why, work at apple. Unless any of you are employees of apple, it's all just speculation.

Leave it at that.

Probably detracted from battery life a little too much for The Steve&#8217;s liking.

IMO, the only real annoyance is that what is normally a glass screen on the MacBook Pro line is a plastic screen on the Air. It&#8217;s a compromise made for the sake of getting the Air under 3 pounds, but still.

It's a better compromise. The glass screen sucks for actually mobile use.

My biggest issue is that having shrunk it further, they've probably done nothing about the pathetic cooling (TDP's have either not changed or gone up), and the likely <5 hour real runtime of the 13-inch (i.e. probably shorter than the Sony Z) still isn't enough for all day, so I still need my external battery anyway - I see no reason for me to upgrade.

Last edited:
So what's the difference between the previous MBA and the new 13" MBA?

-higher res screen
-same whole-pad-as-button touchpad as MBPs
-320M instead of 9400M graphics
-7 hrs vs. 4-5 hrs of battery life
-2.9 vs 3.0 lbs
-missing backlit keyboard
-2 usb ports vs. 1

Anything else?

They talk a lot about how this new model is designed with flash storage in mind from the start... Yet it seems it only saved 0.1 lbs and gives 40% extra battery life.

Not such a dramatic difference from the previous 13" Air, is it?

They talk a lot about how this new model is designed with flash storage in mind from the start... Yet it seems it only saved 0.1 lbs and gives 40% extra battery life.

The previous Air used a 1.8&#8217;&#8217; HDD. You wouldn&#8217;t expect much in the way of weight savings by switching to flash storage anyway. That wasn&#8217;t the point of the switch: it was battery life and compensating for the slower CPU speed. Also to get the ball rolling on solid state storage as a standard feature across all Mac lines over the long term.

I'd say "instant on" is pretty dramatic... Also 40% more battery life is nothing to sneeze at.

So did Engadget. Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/macbook-air-review-late-2010/

The new 13 is much more of an iterative refinement of the previous-gen Air -- they're virtually the same size, with the new Air just a hair thinner than the outgoing model, but its squared-off sides and sharper edges make it feel a bit more compact, [...]

On the other hand, it's more than a little disappointing to find that the 13-inch Air also doesn't have a backlit keyboard, especially since the previous models had them. Apple went out of its way to extoll the space-saving virtues of its new all-flash storage setup, and we find it extremely hard to believe that the older model had room for both a regular hard drive and a backlit keyboard in an extremely similar case but the new model doesn't. If you're thinking about switching from a MacBook Pro to a new Air, the lack of keyboard lighting is definitely something to think about.

I tried the 11" for the first time yesterday, and it felt pretty weird based on my experience with similarly sized machines. Specifically, typing on a netbook size (albeit higher res) screen but with a full size keyboard was an odd feeling. My head was telling me that my fingers should be moving across a cluttered keyboard with small keys, not a comfortable full size keyboard. The keyboard seemed bigger than the screen!

Anyway, not for me (13" is the minimum display size I would get) but it is very impressive how they managed to get a real keyboard and the same awesome Apple trackpad into something so little.

I think apple is doing you a favor and making you learn where they keys are!

As far as gaming and windows 7 it actually compares well with the 13" macbook pro(which not great, old hardware). It can run starcraft2 at low settings, maybe even some on medium. I'd be interested to see if it can run medium shaders and terrain. Thats what makes sc2 look decent.

Too bad there isn't 4gb RAM standard, it would make the price much easier to swallow.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about getting an air to replace the 4 year old MacBook pro in my sig. If I do it will probably be the base 13" with the 4gb ram, I like the portability of the 11" but i'd prefer the integrated sd card reader and extra battery power of the 13.

I'm thinking about getting an air to replace the 4 year old MacBook pro in my sig. If I do it will probably be the base 13" with the 4gb ram, I like the portability of the 11" but i'd prefer the integrated sd card reader and extra battery power of the 13.

I say do it! I'm going to replace my Macbook Pro 13" for a base 11.6". I plan on using the 11.6" for school since it weights like 2.3 lbs. It's super portable. Also the price is amazing, 949.00 after student discounts and 2% cash back from my credit card. How can it be any better? Except the taxes lol. I was skeptical about the base 11.6" because I planned on using it as a HTPC at home to play movies on my 32". Was unsure if it would play 1080p or 720p smoothly. From some users, they were able to play them smoothly.

Back