MB reporting curiously high chasis temperatures...

Nazo

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 2, 2002
Messages
3,672
Well, it's kind of weird, but, my last MB always said that my chasis was running only 1-4 above ambient temperature, usually just 1. Well, with this MB, I'm usually seeing numbers like 34C for the chasis (versus my ambient being below 20C at all times -- yes, I like my AC darn it.) The CPU was also surprisingly hot, but I guess the AS5 needed burning in or something because it's in the lower 40s now. At first I just assumed I had something really hot (maybe the video card? It's usually idling at 54C on the GPU, which, by the default slowdown threshold, I would assume isn't exactly a high temperature (what with the threshold being 135C and all... The slowdown threshold obviously assumes your video card will still be running at that temperature.) The thing is, I've noticed that the video card utility reports "ambient temperature" as 38C, which at first I just assumed meant the memory or something since all it's doing is drawing the desktop normally when I look at the utility.) Also, I couldn't set my FSB noticably higher than 200. The system would always end up rebooting sooner or later even at 205. No point in setting less than that obviously. And no, it's not the CPU, I've seen reports of these things hitting 2.7GHz with really good air cooling, it should pull of 2.6 surely with this thing (I even lapped it until I could kind of see a blur of my face in it and followed all the guidelines on applying the artic silver correctly.) Well, the FSB thing could just be due to the fact that this isn't exactly the most expensive MB out there (Somewhere in the $60 range) but I would have expected even a cheap board to do 205 since my southbridge has a heatsink added (yes, I removed the "FSB 400" label from it first) and I replaced the northbridge cooling with an Iceberq 4 that had been modified to fit on a northbridge (I got the wrong stinking vantec cooler, but, it works.) In fact, I used the AS5 on the northbridge while I was at it. Well, even though my system is reporting such ridiculously high chasis temperatures, it does appear stable with my current setup, so I'm still inclined to wonder if it's just that it can't handle a higher FSB. Nonetheless, I would like to check to see if anyone would know for sure about it. Oh, and BTW, DTemp reports my HD at 14C right now. I noticed that most HDs seemed to stay only one or two above what the chasis is reported at, but my ambient is 16.8C just right now according to my clock (it has a digital temperature thing, I don't know how accurate it is, but, surely it's not off by THAT much.) So I'm thinking my HD just plain runs cooler than those I've been comparing with. If so, I can't use that number to determine my real chasis temperature either.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm primarily using MBM5 to check temperatures. But, their utility said pretty similar numbers anyway.
 
Back
Top