MB HDD swap help

brewcrew814

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone and thanks in advance for any repsonses. I'm new to the Mac World. I've just bought my first Mack Book, the 80 GB HDD model with only a gig a RAM a couple of days ago.
My new RAM should arrive today, putting in 4 GiGs
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231160

I'm also putting in a 200 Gig HDD
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16822145160

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to transfer my 80 gig drive to the 200 gig drive. I will be running BootCamp to duel boot windows XP Pro on it. Not sure if Ghost or what not would work on a Mac, or should I just reinstall the MAC OS X once I get my HDD.
Like I said, I'm very new to the Mac World and love it so far :D

I'm duel booting because I would like to throw my Virtual Machines to practice the MCSA and would like to be able to do this anywhere instead of sitting at home on my PC to do it.

Thanks again!!

If you have an external SATA enclosure, you can use Disk Utility to copy the data.

You could also do a clean install of OS X using the restore discs and then use the migration assistant to copy any user data and settings.

FYI, it's DUAL boot. :)

If you have an external SATA enclosure, you can use Disk Utility to copy the data.

You could also do a clean install of OS X using the restore discs and then use the migration assistant to copy any user data and settings.

FYI, it's DUAL boot. :)

Thanks, I didn't realize I put duel instead of Dual LOL.
I will give it a shot. Should have my hard drive by tomorrow.

I was in a similar situation, what I did was take out the bootcamp partition, and used time machine to a different external drive, swap in the new 200, boot from the install disks and you can pick reinstall from time machine. Just another option.

You can also use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper apps to clone your drive to the new 200gb drive, then just swap them and you're done.

Of course all of the above options require you to have an external enclosure for the SATA drive.

Back