Maybe not Threadworthy, but still a Great Deal. Come Inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeanBruce

Gawd
If this isn’t thread-worthy I stand corrected, just seemed like a great price and the forum seems slow about now so thought this the best way to get the information out to others.

This Dominator GT 8GB 2x4GB 1.5v 2133Mhz kit came out last year at $499.99, got it from Amazon for $119.99, unbelievable! (same cost at Newegg) RAM GUY and peanutz over at Corsair forums stated Corsair stopped making this 2133mhz kit, due to the memory controller chip becoming unavailable. That could be one contributing factor to the low price, but I have a feeling with RAM prices falling so rapidly they were unable to keep making bank on this top of the line sku, so just halted production altogether. Heard it overclocks easily to 2400Mhz, perfect for Ivy CPUs and Z77, too bad with my crap mobo I can only run it at 1333mhz for now, oh well, new board coming soon, gotta keep the faith!

Just passing this info on for anyone in the market for high-performance 1.5v Sandy/Ivy sticks. Enjoy!

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Last edited:
You want a red/black theme yet you use those poop colored Noctua fans? :rolleyes:

Anyways. The Samsung RAM are the new popular ones for 2000+ mhz 1.5v RAM operation.

Is there even a point to getting RAM like that? SB/IV seem like they could care less between 1333 and 2400 RAM.

Is there even a point to getting RAM like that? SB/IV seem like they could care less between 1333 and 2400 RAM.

+1 this be true.

But the occasional person likes the e-peen and big numbers, and MeanBruce here is one of them ;)

This is more like celebrating being a sucker. 8 gig for $120? lol. The rest of us are buying 16 gig for significantly less and laughing. ;)

This is more like celebrating being a sucker. 8 gig for $120? lol. The rest of us are buying 16 gig for significantly less and laughing. ;)

Pretty much how I feel on the subject. I really don't think those higher clock RAM sticks are worth the coin they cost, although they look nice with the heatsink, fins, and all. Maybe it's just the view, but it looks like they are so big and wide that they block the other two expansion slots.

Kind of like Intel's Extreme CPU's, the major cost hardly made it worth it (although now the incentive is extra cores). Just don't think speed has any real noticeable benefit these days unless you're doing certain tasks.

Anyway Mean. Nice sticks. Enjoy them. You know if everyone talked to me in everyday life like they do on the internet. I would be in prison by now for beating so much ass.

+1 this be true.

But the occasional person likes the e-peen and big numbers, and MeanBruce here is one of them ;)

I can see why new people don’t stick around at this forum, a handful of you don’t have jobs, sit around all day here and here, talking tech, about products that are out of your reach because you sit around here all day. I don’t think $120 is too much for RAM, if your budget only allows for $20 I guess I am sorry, I thought it was a good deal. I don’t have to defend my choices in tech or my income, its mine and I made it, period.

You want a red/black theme yet you use those poop colored Noctua fans? :rolleyes:

Anyways. The Samsung RAM are the new popular ones for 2000+ mhz 1.5v RAM operation.

So you are an enthusiast yet unfamiliar with Noctua fans? hmmmm. Well I do know you so enjoy your acronyms, so here is one for you FO, dear God you're a loser beyond belief.

Can we skip the grade-school shenanigans for a moment?

There seems to be some who believe that Ivy Bridge CPUs require DDR3-1600 or better RAM for optimal performance and overclocking. I saw a post in another thread by Danny Bui stating just the opposite and that is echoed by some in this thread as well.

Of course all the RAM manufacturers are marketing this super-duper high speed RAM as well. Do we really need it? That's my question as I research components for my pending Ivy Bridge build (and my first upgrade in 4 years). Or is this just another case of the RAM manufacturers marketing to the guy who thinks the best stereo is the one with the highest watts on the box?

E

Can we skip the grade-school shenanigans for a moment?

There seems to be some who believe that Ivy Bridge CPUs require DDR3-1600 or better RAM for optimal performance and overclocking. I saw a post in another thread by Danny Bui stating just the opposite and that is echoed by some in this thread as well.

Of course all the RAM manufacturers are marketing this super-duper high speed RAM as well. Do we really need it? That's my question as I research components for my pending Ivy Bridge build (and my first upgrade in 4 years). Or is this just another case of the RAM manufacturers marketing to the guy who thinks the best stereo is the one with the highest watts on the box?

E

If you actually go look at all the benchmarks, there is a small difference between running 1333mhz and 1600mhz, but going higher than 1600mhz seems to have basically no impact. Even then, the difference between 1333 and 1600 is so small most people won't notice any difference at all. That said, you only have to pay like $5 more for 1600mhz RAM. Combined with the small difference in performance, most people here believe 1600mhz is the "sweet spot."

If you want fast RAM though, just get some of the 30nm Samsung stuff and OC it to your liking. Just messing around with mine, I was able to get it to 2133mhz on 1.5v without much effort. I ended up dropping it back to default speed and lowered the voltage down to 1.3v to save some power though.

edit: I wanted to add that the Samsung RAM is also super low-profile, so it is great if you also plan on using a large CPU tower cooler. It literally doesn't even stick up over the clips on the motherboard.

Last edited:
I wanted to add that the Samsung RAM is also super low-profile, so it is great if you also plan on using a large CPU tower cooler. It literally doesn't even stick up over the clips on the motherboard.

The Samsung 30nm low profile seems to be the go to choice, I picked it up for my Ivy build, I have not had anytime to assemble or tweak it yet.

Less than $100 (89$) for 16 gigs.

There are allot of reviews out there on it.

There's no point in purchasing anything faster than 1600, which is about $5 more expensive than 1333. And even then, the difference is %4-6 (even with a 4.7 GHz overclock). Gains above 1600 are even smaller, so there's no point in buying anything faster.

TL;DR: buy DDR 1600 modules.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_8.html#sect0

Enjoy spending way too much on your 2133 memory modules. Just because it's "marked down" doesn't mean you're getting a deal.

Last edited:
I can see why new people don’t stick around at this forum, a handful of you don’t have jobs, sit around all day here and here, talking tech, about products that are out of your reach because you sit around here all day. I don’t think $120 is too much for RAM, if your budget only allows for $20 I guess I am sorry, I thought it was a good deal. I don’t have to defend my choices in tech or my income, its mine and I made it, period.

Its also meant for new people to see that spending too much sometimes doesnt net you much if any benefits.

To each his own and if people wanna pay double/triple/etc for a few % performance, then its all good.

How'd you score a deal like that? Unless prices dropped since the last time I looked at it.

Did you look at the end of 2011?

From mid November into January, G.Skill was selling Ripjaws and Ripjaws X 1600 sticks for $30/8GB. Free shipping.

I have 16GB and I paid $60 flat for it a few months ago. I even gifted another 8GB away as a Christmas present, they never ran out of stock. The deal fluctuated a bit between $30 and $35 iirc, but was at $30 most of the Holiday season. (Related note: I buy all my hardware except for video cards between Black Friday and New Year's as a rule of thumb.)

Running 1600mhz @ 9-9-9-21 w/ 1.5v atm. I doubt you could get more than 5% better performance if you bought the most expensive sticks you could find and ran them as fast & tight as possible. Tighter timings would be like a 1% gain in anything besides CineBench. Speed maybe 3-4% gain.

Its also meant for new people to see that spending too much sometimes doesnt net you much if any benefits.

To each his own and if people wanna pay double/triple/etc for a few % performance, then its all good.

Maybe they are ok with spending a little more for some speed they might use later on and to get a nicer looking aesthetic when looking thru a side 650D window panel that hides the admittedly ugly Noctua fans that are most awesome, that was my simple goal.:)

Whew, venting feels good.

Ok it's 40bucks more than 1600mhz Vengeance, but if it generates sheer tech pleasure inside of any geek like me, then it's worth it.

And with a new Z77 motherboard the extra speed might come in handy over the next few years... Honestly in your hands, side by side my old Vengeance looks and feels like something a child would draw up with crayons. If the appearance of quality tech thrills you, this is the one. I would not drop $500 for it, but on sale yes.

Last edited:
Anyway Mean. Nice sticks. Enjoy them. You know if everyone talked to me in everyday life like they do on the internet. I would be in prison by now for beating so much ass.

Thanks man, I wanted them four years ago in college with my first build, no way I could afford them back then Corsair Dominator GT was like $1200 or $1600, crazy. Now my second build all the work might pay off, trying to really love it.

So you are an enthusiast yet unfamiliar with Noctua fans? hmmmm. Well I do know you so enjoy your acronyms, so here is one for you FO, dear God you're a loser beyond belief.

It was a freaking joke. Sheesh, some people need to get a sense of humor. It's your computer and you can do whatever the hell you want. Sorry if you felt offended by it.

And yes, $120 was way too much for 8gb of RAM, I got 24gb for $60. That's three times the RAM for half the price. Sure, it's not as fast, but testing has already showed there is absolutely no performance gains outside of select benchmarks. Not to mention DDR4 is right around the corner.

So far, the only reason to use faster RAM is if you have a Llano, and in the future, Trinity. Even then, you only need about 1866 mhz before the benefits become miniscule.

And yes, I am familiar with Noctua. I know they boast good performance, but they still look ugly as hell. I would prefer Gentle Typhoons; in fact, that's what I'm using now, 2150 RPM Gentle Typhoons on a fan controller. They're also expensive as hell, more than $20 a fan. I got mine for $10 each.

Edit: I also do not enjoy acronyms, I think they're for lazy people, unless the acronym is commonly used like CPU and RAM. As such, I never bothered learning internet speak acronyms, so I don't have the slightest clue what FO means. In fact, I only recently learned PEBKAC means.

Also, +1 to what some of the posters below me are saying. In fact, it almost reads like a bragging thread, and flaunting your money. Of course people are going to be jealous and hate you for that. No one likes a showoff. There are other people on this forums with way more expensive builds that act nowhere near as swaggering as you do.

And is what I said not true? You like big numbers, and want to have big numbers. Only a few months ago you were saying how you were going to get 5.5+ ghz on air with Ivy Bridge (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating here, but it's close enough to the truth). Around here, we call that epeen.

Last edited:
Do I spy a corsair H100?

But yea FTR, if you made a post about spending $120 on 8gb of ram when one could spend the same $ and get twice the amount, you should expect some criticism. Plus you also gotta take in account those of us that are in tech jobs using firefox with 20 open tabs to an assortment of things. I know 4 of those tabs in my firefox is [H] stuff.

Paying $120 is not much, but it is much for 8 gigs of RAM these days for sure. You can buy twice amount of RAM for half of the price, that means you paid for your RAM 4 times more than it's worth it. If you either have job or not, or you have low or high income, you should think of how much you pay for stuff anyway, do basic research and check the prices is no big deal.

The reason why your thread has been judged like this is because you were promoting the price/performance ratio of your RAM, which is well, bad.

And with a new Z77 motherboard the extra speed might come in handy over the next few years... Honestly in your hands, side by side my old Vengeance looks and feels like something a child would draw up with crayons. If the appearance of quality tech thrills you, this is the one. I would not drop $500 for it, but on sale yes.
This is not correct, because since SB(together with IB and further) the RAM speed is very different term. The higher frequency won't change your memory and therefore system speed, because memory controller is now part of CPU and is no longer dependant on memory frequency, the maximum frequency it will handle is 1600, so moving it any way up will make no impact on performance. RAM frequency and overclocking RAM was important during the FSB days, but those are long ago. Sometimes I think the 2133 or 2400 RAMs, extreme overclocking memory and so on, are really just marketing moves because they have no real use.

If you are geek and good tech enthusiast you must have this knowledge as well. the price/performance ratio is the #1 important factor in every hardware purchase(and virtually purchasing everything else).

I can see why new people don’t stick around at this forum, a handful of you don’t have jobs, sit around all day here and here, talking tech, about products that are out of your reach because you sit around here all day.

New people don't stick around? My friend joined about a year an a half ago and he loves it.
Some here have posh jobs that allows reading & posting while at work.
I'm glad you're happy. Personally, I'm too cheap to spend 3x the price on RAM where I won't see the difference in performance. I'd rather spend that $80 elsewhere.

It is too bad other posters were rude about it though. I understand that it costs money for the best, and my RAM is not the best.

You got what you thought was a good deal on some RAM (it wasn't). Then you made a thread out of it and showed off your rig in the Intel processors forum.

I'm with Tsumi on this one.

Not impressed with the price but I am impressed at being able to run DDR3 at 2133MHz using only 1.5v! To bad nothing is going to take advantage of that much speed...I bet it looks nice in benchmarks though. :)

I've never understood the infatuation with making internal computer equipment pretty (or paying a premium for said parts).

I've never understood the infatuation with making internal computer equipment pretty (or paying a premium for said parts).

Spoken with great emotion. I felt your anger and strong accent! Your extremely attractive wife must be very happy.

Last edited:
New people don't stick around? My friend joined about a year an a half ago and he loves it.
Some here have posh jobs that allows reading & posting while at work.
I'm glad you're happy. Personally, I'm too cheap to spend 3x the price on RAM where I won't see the difference in performance. I'd rather spend that $80 elsewhere.

It is too bad other posters were rude about it though. I understand that it costs money for the best, and my RAM is not the best.

Its not that I want "the best" I just want something that can keep up with increasing demands in speed, today it's 1600 in two years the base is 2133mhz I thought it prudent to plan ahead and save by keeping the memory longer, but no one seems to get that. I try to purchase hardware knowing there is a future coming, not just the lowest price that gets me out the door until next Wednesday.

This is not correct, because since SB(together with IB and further) the RAM speed is very different term. The higher frequency won't change your memory and therefore system speed, because memory controller is now part of CPU and is no longer dependant on memory frequency, the maximum frequency it will handle is 1600, so moving it any way up will make no impact on performance. RAM frequency and overclocking RAM was important during the FSB days, but those are long ago. Sometimes I think the 2133 or 2400 RAMs, extreme overclocking memory and so on, are really just marketing moves because they have no real use.

Just watching a YouTube video from PCPerspective with JJ Guerrero from Asus. They're putting a 3770 through the paces with an Asus Z77 board. The auto-tuning tools tweak both the multiplier and the BCLK and at one point (around 27:40), they show the RAM operating at just under 2GHz. JJ recommends 2133 or 2400 for this platform. This seems contradictory to Acer_Sheep's comment above and some other posts here on the [H].

I'm not trying to call anyone out. I'm just trying to get my arms around today's overclocking landscape. Am I missing something here? Maybe "real" overclockers wouldn't be using these tools and the more expensive RAM isn't needed for manual overclocking. I don't know...

OP: Glad you're enjoying your RAM. Don't sweat it if someone doesn't agree with your purchase. I personally wouldn't have made the choice you made, but by God, you earned your money and bought what you wanted. Good for you! :)

Thanks,
E

That doesn't look right at all. You can't "tweak" the BCLK outside of maybe 93-107 mhz. The RAM won't go up to 2000 mhz unless you manually set it that high. Which, after looking though the video, they were using the XMP profile, which clocks the RAM that high for that particular set.

When there was 1366 and 1156 with BCLK overclocking, and now 2011 with strap overclocking, there was an actual reason to get RAM that clocked higher, since the multipliers were still the same. With a BCLK of 200, the only RAM speeds you can attain are 1200, 1600, 2000, 2400, and so on. Increasing it to 220, you're now limited to 1320, 1760, 2200, and so on. This is more of a case of a guy talking out of his ass with no proof to back it up, since virtually every RAM test has shown that any speed above 1600 mhz shows absolutely no gains in 99% of applications, and marginal (less than 5%) gains in a few select benchmarks.

Now, with APUs, where the iGPU frame buffer is on the RAM, faster RAM does allow it to perform significantly better. But for those of us running discrete cards, it doesn't matter.

Just watching a YouTube video from PCPerspective with JJ Guerrero from Asus. They're putting a 3770 through the paces with an Asus Z77 board. The auto-tuning tools tweak both the multiplier and the BCLK and at one point (around 27:40), they show the RAM operating at just under 2GHz. JJ recommends 2133 or 2400 for this platform. This seems contradictory to Acer_Sheep's comment above and some other posts here on the [H].

I'm not trying to call anyone out. I'm just trying to get my arms around today's overclocking landscape. Am I missing something here? Maybe "real" overclockers wouldn't be using these tools and the more expensive RAM isn't needed for manual overclocking. I don't know...

OP: Glad you're enjoying your RAM. Don't sweat it if someone doesn't agree with your purchase. I personally wouldn't have made the choice you made, but by God, you earned your money and bought what you wanted. Good for you! :)

Thanks,
E

Thank you so much, those are the videos I have been watching and everyone is saying “Go Higher Mhz with Ivy!” So I thought I was making the best practical and prudent decision over time by getting a good buy on 2133. Ivy's memory bandwidth and Z77 have changed the playing field, sucks when you are alone on a single matter, then everyone finds out and goes “Oh, ok I didn’t know that.”

Oh God here comes tsuminini with his figures, and distended data, I think I will just let it go, and wake up when he figures out the new parameters. Give it a week or so.

Last edited:
I don't know that the video I posted refutes what anyone is saying in this thread or any other thread in the forums. I certainly wasn't trying to defend your choice.

And yeah, you should probably let it go.

I'm thinking I ought to start a separate post for my questions in the Memory Forum.

Thanks,
E

Thank you so much, those are the videos I have been watching and everyone is saying “Go Higher Mhz with Ivy!” So I thought I was making the best practical and prudent decision over time by getting a good buy on 2133. Ivy's memory bandwidth and Z77 have changed the playing field, sucks when you are alone on a single matter, then everyone finds out and goes “Oh, ok I didn’t know that.”

Oh God here comes tsuminini with his figures, and distended data, I think I will just let it go, and wake up when he figures out the new parameters. Give it a week or so.

How about you post some evidence to the contrary then?

Every time I disagree with you, you just call me names, but you can never point out any hard evidence of being in the right, say I'm wrong because "Ivy Bridge is game changer, best thing ever, blah blah blah" etc.

But since you can't be bothered to find your own benchmarks to say you're right, I'll do the work to prove your delusions wrong:
Ivy Bridge Memory scaling The only thing that can be said for this benchmark is that faster memory somewhat improves iGPU performance. 2133 nets you a measly 1 FPS increase over 1600.

Virtually identical to Sandy Bridge scaling. It even shows overclocked results, and again, it shows overclocked doesn't improve anything. Faster memory than 1600 mhz doesn't matter. Where's the game changer now?

Could Haswell be a game changer then? Maybe. Doubt it though, applications don't use the memory bandwidth as much as they use the CPU core.

How about successor to 14nm Haswell? Probably not, due to transition to DDR4.

Just goes to show your complete immaturity when it comes to things like this... can't believe I'm also younger than you.

How about you post some evidence to the contrary then?

Every time I disagree with you, you just call me names, but you can never point out any hard evidence of being in the right, say I'm wrong because "Ivy Bridge is game changer, best thing ever, blah blah blah" etc.

But since you can't be bothered to find your own benchmarks to say you're right, I'll do the work to prove your delusions wrong:
Ivy Bridge Memory scaling The only thing that can be said for this benchmark is that faster memory somewhat improves iGPU performance. 2133 nets you a measly 1 FPS increase over 1600.

Virtually identical to Sandy Bridge scaling. It even shows overclocked results, and again, it shows overclocked doesn't improve anything. Faster memory than 1600 mhz doesn't matter. Where's the game changer now?

Could Haswell be a game changer then? Maybe. Doubt it though, applications don't use the memory bandwidth as much as they use the CPU core.

How about successor to 14nm Haswell? Probably not, due to transition to DDR4.

Just goes to show your complete immaturity when it comes to things like this... can't believe I'm also younger than you.

You don’t even own any of these products you constantly babble on about, so how can it be important to you in any personal way? You are not even contemplating purchasing any of these products that you have gathered so much endless material on! You write the phonebook to people on every damn factoid the H100 has to offer but you don’t own one. You gather data from the air for no apparent reason.

The extended heatsink fins will be here tomorrow, try to pass that functionally through your mostly occluded intestinal babbling half-life. Shit that’s gonna hurt…

dom_gt_tall-front_7.png

...but I make more, and date 20year olds.

You don’t even own any of these products you constantly babble on about, so how can it be important to you in any personal way? You are not even contemplating purchasing any of these products that you have gathered so much endless material on! You write the phonebook to people on every damn factoid the H100 has to offer but you don’t own one. You gather data from the air for no apparent reason.

The extended heatsink fins will be here tomorrow, try to pass that functionally through your mostly occluded intestinal babbling half-life. Shit that’s gonna hurt…

So apparently since I don't own them or have any plans to own them, I can't read about the awesome performance that the GTX 690s and i7 3960X? I can't be a computer enthusiast because I know a lot about computer hardware, and like to read up on this stuff? And yet, you were bashing me earlier about not knowing about Noctuas, which I actually do know about? What a complete hypocrite.

And those links only took me 5 minutes on google, it wasn't as if I spent half the day searching for them.

No apparent reason? Babbling on? You were claiming they would net you significantly better performance, and some people (like Eradan), thought there was truth to that. I was correcting your false beliefs with proven true ones. You don't want to learn about computer hardware? Fine then, but DON'T POST AS IF YOU KNOW THE FACTS.

Sure, it might not affect me in a personal way, but the reason most of us are on these forums is to post info and help each other out, and learn. Correcting misconceptions is one way of doing that, but apparently you don't like to be corrected.

And what does making more and dating 20 year old have to do with anything? Have I ever once said you were stupid, or called you names? You're just making yourself out to be a 12 year old kid.

Last edited:

dom_gt_tall-front_7.png

Were the extended HS fins free or did you have to pay? That makes the ram even more expensive! :D

Most of the people who help others on the forum, Tsumi, Danny, etc do tons of research!
They are a big part of the reason people come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back