Maybe buying E2160, Overclock?

CHAoS_NiNJA

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 26, 2005
Messages
1,578
Hey all, I'm in real need for a new CPU as this Pentium D seriously needs to GTFO. A friend has mentioned the E2160, a 1.8GHz proc under the "Pentium Dual Core" brand. It runs the Allendale core and has 1MB of cache. Here it is on Newegg. Hes shown me various sites and forums where this CPU has be OCed to 3+GHz easily and solidly. I was wondering, should I jump on this 70 dollar proc and push it as far as I can, or will the low cache and 800MHz FSB bite me in my performance-needing ass?

I'm going to be getting 2GB of this GeIL RAM in a few days, which is 800MHz but can apparently be pushed rather well to 1066MHz...however a lot of people are having issues on the E2160 FSB, so I wonder how that would effect it. I am sad to say I have been out of the OCing scene since I pushed my Athlon 64 3000+ to 2.2GHz on the week of release, so I'm not as in the know as I wish I was. Any feedback would be awesome.
 
Its definitely your best option in the $75 price range and almost every single one hits 3GHz with little effort. That gets you up to 9x333=3GHz and at the 333 FSH speed, you can adjust your RAM to run at its rated 800MHz spec to start then adjust it up from there if you want.
 
Well, personally the only reason I would buy a 2160 is to overclock the heck out of it. Its kinda weak at stock speeds but very good overclocked.
 
from everything I've heard/read around, this is a little CHAMP of a proc - and when you ramp it up to 333FSB or higher, it basically keeps up with or out-runs its bigger brothers in the Core 2 Duo lineup with full-blown L2 caches that run stock at 266FSB or 333FSB - what more can you ask for?
 
oh, and btw, for anyone who lives in a state where New Egg has a facility and you hate paying taxes on stuff, ZipZoomFly has the E2160 for $69.90 with free shipping.
 
Bumping, who here has actually messed with this chip? I'd like to know from a [H] poster before I go jumping on it.

Oh, and one thing that kind of worries me is my chipset, the intel G33. Its supposed to be a great OCer for a mATX board (which is why I got it), but I don't know... :/
 
i am building a server box in a week or two and this CPU is in my newegg shopping cart....

I bet this CPU gets VERY hot when u OC it... thus, a bigger fan on it, and i want to keep this thing silent.
 
i have a e2160 M0, have it @ 3GHz right now w/ 1.38vcore. i know it can go higher but my chipset temps are high and i'm waiting for a fan i ordered before i attempt any higher.

i will eventually watercool my system again, probably soon. temp currently top out @ 52c under orthos small FFTs.

your mobo should be able to do 333*9 with a small bump in vcore. so i wouldn't worry.
 
Back
Top